Lewin G. Joel Jr. School

Public | PK-3 | 658 students

Posted March 18, 2014

Joel School is a wonderful place. Both of my children attended Joel along with several nieces and nephews; they all had incredibly positive experiences. The teachers are dedicated and caring. They work hard to keep up with technology and integrate it into the classroom effectively. The community spirit pervades the halls. The art and music teachers are phenomenal; attend an arts night or a concert, and you'll be amazed. The school also teaches the children about the importance of their community and conducts a 100-day celebration in which each classroom collects 100 items for a local charity. The PE teachers run a Project Adventure program for third grade students to help build character and confidence. Joel School is living proof of the idea that schools are so much more than test scores.

Posted March 18, 2014

We relocated to Clinton, CT from out of state. We now have two children at Joel. Clinton is buttressed by some exemplary school districts on paper, so its reputation tends to suffer by comparison. Having said that, we ve talked to some in surrounding towns who wish they were in Clinton. The parent engagement, from our perspective, is significant. Claudia Norman is a thoughtful and caring principal with an open-door policy. The administrative staff is lighthearted and the school itself is thoroughly inviting. Separately, we ve watched the town of Clinton grow more progressive as younger generations become active in the political process, placing an emphasis on education.

Posted March 18, 2014

What a great experience we are having at this school! When talking about the programs this school has to college friends, they often think I am sending my children to private school! In addition to the wonderful classroom teachers my children have had, they have wonderful arts and PE programs as well as Spanish taught from Pre-K-grade 3. The highlight of the 3rd grader's year is Project Adventure- a team building and confidence course. I had tears in my eyes as I listened to my son's classmates cheering on another student who was "stuck" then accomplished the obstacle. My 3rd grader has a writing club and a math club that he chose to participate in during his lunch period. Lots of great teacher/parent/family interaction:The Art/music teachers put on an Awesome Arts night, there is family Math game night,there's an amazing "Monster Mash" party for the entire school put on annually by the Friends of Joel group. The teachers we have had are so enthusiastic and have been able to challenge my children. They respond quickly to emails. My kids have definitely had a love of learning fostered that I hope will just continue to grow as they move on to their next school.

Posted September 16, 2013

My second ADD son is in the 3rd grade and has just started SPED for reading/writing. The teachers and staff of the Joel School is amazing. They have helped both my children thrive under their guidance and worked with them to overcome the difficulties they have had due to the ADD. I am so impressed with the administration and how they have handled any issues that have come up with my kids. They seem to have any previous bullying issues well in hand. I am proud to say that they attended Joel School!

Posted December 18, 2012

I have three kids who has and is attending the school. Even as a minority parent, I've always felt inclusive and respected. My kids were always happy going to school. The teachers take pride in their pupils' work as well as challenge them. The school encourages parents involvement in lot of the seasonal activities as well as communications with the teachers. Everyone whom I've got involved with for certain special circumstances were very easy to work with to enhance my kids education.

Posted September 28, 2012

We have had 2 children attend Joel. With completely different results. The oldest, who is now attending Pierson (awful principal over there, so be ready for a fight with that battle ax), had a wonderful experience. He had fantastic, active teachers who got to know him on a persona level and challenged him as he is a quick learner and bores easily. Our youngest is still there, and last year she had a horrible teacher. I felt she was emotionally bullied by him. Thankfully he retired at the end of the year (thought he mentally checked out much much sooner). So far, her teacher this year seems on top of things, and we are having a better experience. Just be on the look out for the administration- they are a bit trigger happy with getting psychologists and outside "professionals" involved. To be honest, I wish we had investigated the schools a little more before signing our mortgage.

Posted October 29, 2011

My daughter attended this school (K through 1st Grade) and it was a major disaster. She was bullied by a boy and the corrective action was a joke. This school would rather blame the innocent victim then deal with the bully handing out the punishment. They had my daughter in remedial everything and she came home crying almost every day. She now attends a private school which is one of the best in the state and she is a straight A student. I would also like to mention that when we got her reading tested near the end of 1st grade at Sylvan, her test scores showed major deficits in all the major reading categories. She was clearly not properly taught how to read. Math was no better as I had to retrain her myself after she scored a 5 on a math test. She now gets A's in math and reading at a much better school. Unfortunately, I was not able to correct her reading on my own since I am not knowledgeable in how to teach reading so I had to spend 4K with Sylvan to fix. Since leaving this school, my daughter is now thriving.

Posted October 21, 2011

I have three children in the Clinton Public School System and also happen to be a lifeling resident of Clinton. I received a great education in Clinton, which is why I chose to raise my family here. Two of my children are currently attending Joel School and my oldest went to Joel. Based on what we have experienced so far, I can say that I am very pleased with the education my kids are receiving at Joel. The staff and teachers I have met genuinely care about the students, and the current principal and new assistance principal have impressive credentials and an open door policy. The Friends of Joel (parent/teacher volunteer group) raises tens of thousands of dollars each year for this school and with that money, they provide amazing cultural events for the children each month. I have volunteered as a parent in this school, in various classrooms, for the last six years, which has afforded me the opportunity to see the balanced and positive learning environment that is being provided for students. A flyer came home from the school looking for parent volunteers to read to the students, which I think is wonderful, for both the parents and the children, as well as for the school.

Posted September 8, 2011

I love the school!!! i got e great time, i am always there like a volunteer , Teachers are great the staff at the office wonderful the lunch food has a lot a variety and great programs after school!!!! Just simple good!!! Thanks so much!!!

Posted September 7, 2011

I don't know who previous reviewer's children had for teachers, but our experience was so bad that we pulled our kids and put them in private school. Does the administration still get their "ABBB" letters at the start of every First grade year? How's the bullying epidemic, any better? Are they still upending the classroom with bizarre social experiments? Does the administration still discourage parental involvement at all turns, making them feel as unwelcome on campus as possible? Are gifted or above average kids still routinely ignored? I am not shocked to see this once fine school sink to a '5'. However, I am surprised that Great Schools isn't showing the test scores for all the grades, because I'd advise parents who are considering a move here to check those out before you get saddled down with a mortgage. If you care about your kids at all, look elsewhere, unless you don't mind paying $ for private school tuition, & driving 20 minutes each way to get your kids to school. If you couldn't care less whether your kids are fully educated or not, or you want your kids to learn how to street fight, send them to this school.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am so pleased that my son has had the opportunity to have one on one attention with his teacher, who has taken the extra time to reach out to myself as a parent. I am very impressed with the involvement every staff member has in the daily lives of each student, and I feel secure knowing that my son is recieving an excellant foundation for his lifelong education.

Posted September 18, 2008

My children absolutely love their school and their teachers, I am constantly impressed by the curriculum they have in place at Joel School. My children are at a grade 3 level and they are only in 1st grade. The teachers and staff are excellent to work with.

Posted August 15, 2008

Joel is a wonderful, caring community that has really gotten on track for academics. The writing that these children are doing in K-3 is amazing! The gym is outfitted with some of the best equipment you'll find anywhere, thanks to the Friends of Joel parent group. The staff is warm and caring - I can't say enough about that!! Just a wonderful place!

Posted May 31, 2008

The schools in this area are far more advanced than the other counties in this state. My son, in the 1st grade, is taking spelling tests that include words that his cousin, in another school in Middlesex county in the 6th grade, is spelling. Now I'm impressed!

Posted January 10, 2006

My son is in first grade and loves his school. Parents are very involved, although the administration doesn't always seem too welcoming. The art, music, and physical education programs are all phenomenal, and there is lots of cultural programming offered throughout the year. Overall we've been very happy with the school thus far.

Posted July 12, 2005

Our youngest is now attending school at Joel. We have had 3 others go thru already. They have done a 180*turn. This school has now had adminstration that in place for a couple of years now, this definatly helps with leadership for all from the teachers, children, & parents. The teachers feel a sense of this which is past along to the children they are proud of their school. It makes a wonderful learning place. Our daughter enjoys her school. Hopefully, the school board & Supertindent will take notice for the Higher grades, Leadership is Key.

Posted January 6, 2005

My family moved here from Naugatuck and I must say that the schools in Clinton are far ahead of the schools we left. My son came in half way through the year last year and though his reading skills are high his math, writing and social skill were not. The teacher he was given worked hard to bring his lower skills up to the level of the reading and for that I am very great full. This year my daughter has entered school and both my children are doing wonderful. I thank the teachers for their wonderful work it s a highly underpaid and under appreciated job though probably the most important one in the world. And that teacher left her wisdom in the minds of lots of children: Did her best to give them all a better start. Thank you for all you do and give.

Posted August 3, 2004

I have 2 children attending this school and in these few years, if I wasn't happy with an issue the administration would do everything they could to fix the situation. I am very happy with this school, staff and PTA.

Posted April 23, 2004

Despite what I am told is the large size of this school, I have never been aware of it. Service is professional, attentive and personal. The managemet system seems excellent. My child's teacher is excellent. I have concerns whether the school will continue to provide sufficient challenge and genuine intellectual stimulation but will address this with the administration and expect their usual attentiveness, concern and response to my concerns.

Posted March 27, 2004

I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with this school. My son has been here for 2 years and in both those years he has had a difficult time. I can't seem to get through to the administration my concerns and am consistently lied to about what measures will be taken to insure my son a quality education. This school is fond of using negative motivation to get children to do things. Fear is not a healthy motivator. Someone needs to take a long, hard look at the policies and procedures that are ok'd by the administration. They not only hurt the children, but aren't conducive to a healthy environment.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

In 2012-2013 Connecticut used the Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) to test students' skills in reading, writing and math in grades 3 through 8, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The CMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Not economically disadvantaged98%
Students without disabilities98%
Proficient in English96%
Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 16%N/A35%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

137a Glenwood Rd