Posted March 18, 2014
Joel School is a wonderful place. Both of my children attended Joel along with several nieces and nephews; they all had incredibly positive experiences. The teachers are dedicated and caring. They work hard to keep up with technology and integrate it into the classroom effectively. The community spirit pervades the halls. The art and music teachers are phenomenal; attend an arts night or a concert, and you'll be amazed. The school also teaches the children about the importance of their community and conducts a 100-day celebration in which each classroom collects 100 items for a local charity. The PE teachers run a Project Adventure program for third grade students to help build character and confidence. Joel School is living proof of the idea that schools are so much more than test scores.

Posted March 18, 2014
We relocated to Clinton, CT from out of state. We now have two children at Joel. Clinton is buttressed by some exemplary school districts on paper, so its reputation tends to suffer by comparison. Having said that, we ve talked to some in surrounding towns who wish they were in Clinton. The parent engagement, from our perspective, is significant. Claudia Norman is a thoughtful and caring principal with an open-door policy. The administrative staff is lighthearted and the school itself is thoroughly inviting. Separately, we ve watched the town of Clinton grow more progressive as younger generations become active in the political process, placing an emphasis on education.

Posted March 18, 2014
What a great experience we are having at this school! When talking about the programs this school has to college friends, they often think I am sending my children to private school! In addition to the wonderful classroom teachers my children have had, they have wonderful arts and PE programs as well as Spanish taught from Pre-K-grade 3. The highlight of the 3rd grader's year is Project Adventure- a team building and confidence course. I had tears in my eyes as I listened to my son's classmates cheering on another student who was "stuck" then accomplished the obstacle. My 3rd grader has a writing club and a math club that he chose to participate in during his lunch period. Lots of great teacher/parent/family interaction:The Art/music teachers put on an Awesome Arts night, there is family Math game night,there's an amazing "Monster Mash" party for the entire school put on annually by the Friends of Joel group. The teachers we have had are so enthusiastic and have been able to challenge my children. They respond quickly to emails. My kids have definitely had a love of learning fostered that I hope will just continue to grow as they move on to their next school.

Posted September 16, 2013
My second ADD son is in the 3rd grade and has just started SPED for reading/writing. The teachers and staff of the Joel School is amazing. They have helped both my children thrive under their guidance and worked with them to overcome the difficulties they have had due to the ADD. I am so impressed with the administration and how they have handled any issues that have come up with my kids. They seem to have any previous bullying issues well in hand. I am proud to say that they attended Joel School!

Posted December 18, 2012
I have three kids who has and is attending the school. Even as a minority parent, I've always felt inclusive and respected. My kids were always happy going to school. The teachers take pride in their pupils' work as well as challenge them. The school encourages parents involvement in lot of the seasonal activities as well as communications with the teachers. Everyone whom I've got involved with for certain special circumstances were very easy to work with to enhance my kids education.

Posted September 28, 2012
We have had 2 children attend Joel. With completely different results. The oldest, who is now attending Pierson (awful principal over there, so be ready for a fight with that battle ax), had a wonderful experience. He had fantastic, active teachers who got to know him on a persona level and challenged him as he is a quick learner and bores easily. Our youngest is still there, and last year she had a horrible teacher. I felt she was emotionally bullied by him. Thankfully he retired at the end of the year (thought he mentally checked out much much sooner). So far, her teacher this year seems on top of things, and we are having a better experience. Just be on the look out for the administration- they are a bit trigger happy with getting psychologists and outside "professionals" involved. To be honest, I wish we had investigated the schools a little more before signing our mortgage.

Posted October 29, 2011
My daughter attended this school (K through 1st Grade) and it was a major disaster. She was bullied by a boy and the corrective action was a joke. This school would rather blame the innocent victim then deal with the bully handing out the punishment. They had my daughter in remedial everything and she came home crying almost every day. She now attends a private school which is one of the best in the state and she is a straight A student. I would also like to mention that when we got her reading tested near the end of 1st grade at Sylvan, her test scores showed major deficits in all the major reading categories. She was clearly not properly taught how to read. Math was no better as I had to retrain her myself after she scored a 5 on a math test. She now gets A's in math and reading at a much better school. Unfortunately, I was not able to correct her reading on my own since I am not knowledgeable in how to teach reading so I had to spend 4K with Sylvan to fix. Since leaving this school, my daughter is now thriving.

Posted October 21, 2011
I have three children in the Clinton Public School System and also happen to be a lifeling resident of Clinton. I received a great education in Clinton, which is why I chose to raise my family here. Two of my children are currently attending Joel School and my oldest went to Joel. Based on what we have experienced so far, I can say that I am very pleased with the education my kids are receiving at Joel. The staff and teachers I have met genuinely care about the students, and the current principal and new assistance principal have impressive credentials and an open door policy. The Friends of Joel (parent/teacher volunteer group) raises tens of thousands of dollars each year for this school and with that money, they provide amazing cultural events for the children each month. I have volunteered as a parent in this school, in various classrooms, for the last six years, which has afforded me the opportunity to see the balanced and positive learning environment that is being provided for students. A flyer came home from the school looking for parent volunteers to read to the students, which I think is wonderful, for both the parents and the children, as well as for the school.

Posted September 08, 2011
I love the school!!! i got e great time, i am always there like a volunteer , Teachers are great the staff at the office wonderful the lunch food has a lot a variety and great programs after school!!!! Just simple good!!! Thanks so much!!!

Posted September 07, 2011
I don't know who previous reviewer's children had for teachers, but our experience was so bad that we pulled our kids and put them in private school. Does the administration still get their "ABBB" letters at the start of every First grade year? How's the bullying epidemic, any better? Are they still upending the classroom with bizarre social experiments? Does the administration still discourage parental involvement at all turns, making them feel as unwelcome on campus as possible? Are gifted or above average kids still routinely ignored? I am not shocked to see this once fine school sink to a '5'. However, I am surprised that Great Schools isn't showing the test scores for all the grades, because I'd advise parents who are considering a move here to check those out before you get saddled down with a mortgage. If you care about your kids at all, look elsewhere, unless you don't mind paying $ for private school tuition, & driving 20 minutes each way to get your kids to school. If you couldn't care less whether your kids are fully educated or not, or you want your kids to learn how to street fight, send them to this school.

Lewin G. Joel Jr. School
137a Glenwood Rd, Clinton, CT  06413
Last modified Lewin G. Joel Jr. School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lewin G. Joel Jr. School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top