Horace W. Porter School 3

Posted November 18, 2014
When my first child started at this school on 2011, I was very impressed with the staff. They loved their jobs and it showed. My child flourished here and enjoyed school. Since then, the school has gone downhill. The poaching of a significant number of kids by North Windham's magnet school has resulted in larger classrooms. My child's 2nd grade classroom has 21students---up from last year's 13 since one classroom had to be eliminated due to declining enrollment. The staff seem a lot more disenfranchised this year. Maybe they're overworked with more kids in the classrooms? The school lacks any racial diversity of any kind whatsoever (which is to be expected for this town's demographics). The only "cool" activities for elementary students are sports: soccer, basketball, baseball...Your kid likes Minecraft and comic books? Prepare for teasing. I can see how a small-town school like this can appeal to a lot of people, but to parents who are looking for a school experience that offers their child a bit more "exposure" to different things, HW Porter is not the school you're looking for.

Posted June 21, 2014
Was totally unimpressed with this school. The teachers are ok but the curriculum is substandard. My child's feelings were not taken into consideration and it left us feeling like we were not worth the schools time.

Posted December 04, 2013
I have nothing but positive things to say about this school, the teachers, staff and administrators. Great school in a great community. Glad to be a part of it.

Posted July 29, 2013
I went have gone to this school ever since pre-k until now. I love porter just being able to say youve been going to the same school for 10 years and counting is kind of comforting :) Porter is a big family. Just like any family we have little fights but then we only get closer and learn from our mistakes. I'm an athlete and porter sports have been amazing. i'm proud to say i went to porter and competed. You can not describe to big towns or people how great porter is unless youve gone there. Most people when they hear it is a pre-k through 8th grade school they think its bad. No its not... we are just close. We live in this tiny town that people barely know of but we love it. The teachers here are the nicest people ive met. it will be sad to leave them once i graduate. The teachers have only been encouraging to me. I have good grades (As & Bs) and that wouldnt of been possible without the extra help and understanding from the teachers. I wish every child would have had the oppportunity to grow up in such a GREAT enviroment. It was truly such an amazing experience being a porter panther for 10 years. I hope anyone reading this wondering if they should move here, do it!

Posted July 09, 2013
I came to this school from 2nd grade to 6th grade. The classes were not challenging AT ALL. The teachers were extremely nice but didn't really give the students the individualized attention that they needed. The teachers seemed to pick their favorites and there is not question about it. I transferred to a different school on the opposite end of the state because I wasn't challenged at this school. The students at times were very rude and I was bullied for at least half of the time I attended this school and so were my friends. At first, it seemed like teachers were really trying to eliminate bullying and that they were really trying. After a while, it was clear that they were kind of "putting on a show" and didn't really care that it was affecting some of the students. I remember taking a little "questionnaire" about being bullied and in my head I was thinking, "are you kidding me?" I understood that they were trying to help but it was just going over the same information over and over and over and there was nothing being changed. The teachers and staff seemed to have the mindset that if they ignore it long enough and put in very little effort that it would just go away.

Posted November 22, 2012
I went here and felt my needs were far from met. I have documented disabilities and this school used every excuse in the book to deny me services I required to succeed. They wouldn t even acknowledge I qualified for special ed until my mom brought in a lawyer. I go to Bolton High School now and it is mind-blowing how wonderful they are compared to Porter. Not only do they accommodate me as a student with a disability but as a person in general. They will move heaven and earth to help me and every student succeed while Porter wouldn t even lift a finger.

Horace W. Porter School 2

Posted October 04, 2012
The teachers all seem very nice and competent but I'm not impressed with the school as a whole. Almost every event I've been to seems haphazard and poorly organized. 4th grade is considered middle school at Porter so 9 and 10 year olds are thrown in with teens and your 5 year old will ride the bus with 14 year olds. The secretaries are the absolute worst communicators. They NEVER return phone calls. NEVER. Even the simplest question will go totally unanswered. I've never seen anything like it. You should also expect to work your butt off soliciting/fundraising from your family and friends unless you happen to have $500 to drop for the 8th grade field trip.

Posted February 06, 2012
I have had 3 kids go through the Porter School System. Each of my kids are very different and required different learning styles. This school has hit the mark on every level of my kids learning and developing requirements.

Horace W. Porter School 4

Posted August 17, 2011
We moved from Windsor a few years ago, and I have to say that what most impressed me about this school was the kindness of the children and staff. My children have had no bullying issues and feel safe here. I do have some concerns but I believe my voice (and that of other parents) will be heeded and the board will strive to make concessions with the best interests of the children in mind. Class sizes are growing this year which concerns me and lunch time is shrinking. I believe they should re-evaluate the budget that passed for this year and hire another K teacher if more children enrolled than they had anticipated.

Posted December 03, 2010
My son started Pre K this year, and he is so happy there. Also the staff is very helpful and very qualify!

Horace W. Porter School
3 Schoolhouse Rd Box 166, Columbia, CT  06237
Last modified Horace W. Porter School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horace W. Porter School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top