Cos Cob, CT

Posted March 12, 2013
Love Cos Cob Elemntary. I have had 3 children go through Cos Cob (one still there in 4th grade). All 3 went through the gifted ALP program, one had a 504 plan. Overall, it's an impressive school with a wonderful hometown community feeling - something from a bygone era. I loved raising my kids in this i environment. The teachers are warm and caring and enthusiastic about their jobs and the kids. Over the years we did run into a teacher or two that was not a great fit with one of our kids, but I honestly cannot say any teacher was bad. I did have some concerns with the ALP program - overall it's great and I awas thrilled that it offered a very challenging course for my kids. I would, however, have liked to see more organization in its administration. Often assignments were very confusing and expectations were for the kids to figure things out, as if they were far older and more mature than they really were. Still, I thought they got so much out of the program I would still do it again.

Cos Cob School 1

Posted January 07, 2013
This school was terrible for both my children. The children that did the best were the one's who's mothers were constantly at the school. Unfortunately, not all moms can make that happen. There were two teachers that really were the exception, but the rest seemed to be killing time 'til their pension (unless a parent was there to supervise their own child's interests). For the grades that take the CMT's (Connecticut Mastery Tests) the students spent the ENTIRE month beforehand studying only for these tests and not being taught anything new. It's not surprising that the scores are high here given that so many school hours are devoted to only prepping for these exams. These exams test for certain markers and are not, in my opinion, indicative of a well rounded education. Both my children left this school not being able to identify a noun or verb and being unable to read or write in script. My older child finished 5th grade here, but I pulled my younger child out after 4th grade. After my youngest left the school, I had three parents approach me about how badly they felt he was treated by multiple teachers. I was shocked and wish one of them had said something earlier.

Posted August 20, 2012
We moved here from Old Greenwich and were shocked how much more academic and intellectually stimulating this school was! Especially in the arts and music. My only compalint would be that they wait till 2nd grade to start spanish, but that's all of Greenwich.

Posted August 20, 2012
In my opinion this is the best school in Greenwich. Teachers and Administrators are compassionate and up to date in style. Chidren are encouraged to 'care for self and others', there are multiple Advanced 'TAG' student opportunities and there seems a greater sense of community than in it's neighbor schools. I was just at a symposium at Harvard and wound up meeting three different colleagues, who'd attended Cos Cob School! (that was when we decided to avoid private and enroll with CCS).

Posted June 30, 2010
Our child just completed kindergarten here and we were thrilled with the school. We found it a nurturing, challenging environment both in the classroom and the larger school community. We saw considerable development in our child on multiple levels, particularly writing and reading. Character development at this school is also exceptional, down to the mantra they all say each morning (it ends with "Together we fly.") We feel we are fairly discriminating when it comes to education (and my job takes me into schools across the country) and we feel this school exceeds our vigorous standards. Send your child here with confidence.

Cos Cob School 4

Posted January 01, 2010

Posted October 02, 2009
I totally disagree with this parent. There is a gifted program in every elementary school in the district. Plus at Cos Cob they group reading and math into levels. At the lower grades its done with the class and at the upper grades they group by having the kids go to the teacher teaching at their level. Its very well organized. In addition, they spend time on a computer program in math and reading and can go ahead at their own pace. This helps teachers identify children who are excelling. This was the case with my children. They are both quiet and could possibly have gotten overlooked, but their performance on the computer programs which are fabulous boosted them ahead to advanced groups.

Cos Cob School 2

Posted January 11, 2009
An o-k school only, the only choice in Cos Cob so if you live there and can't afford private you have to send your kids to this school. I don't think it's a great place for kids who are academically ahead, they have a slow pace of learning and clever kids are not always indetified by the teachers becasue of the large class sizes. Slower children do better here, they seem to have the whole class on a slow leaning curve to make sure everyone gets it which I don't agree with. Overall I aren't really that impressed with it and think that there are much better schools within the area than this one. Look further afield.

Cos Cob School 3

Posted September 29, 2007
Programs are good. There should be enough time between classes for the little kids to drink water, to go to the bathroom or simply to wash hands.

Cos Cob School 4

Posted March 05, 2006
- a former student
Very fun teachers and great atmosphere. Great enviorment for kids to grow up in and recently added new playground for the 2005-2006 school year.

Cos Cob School
300 East Putnam Ave, Cos Cob, CT  06807
Last modified Cos Cob School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cos Cob School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top