PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

My children (now age 18, 16, 14) attended St. Joseph School in Danbury from mid-elementary grades through middle school, 8th grade. SJS has a family/community atmosphere that nurtures the ‘whole’ child. My children were able to grow academically, socially, and spiritually throughout their years there. The transition from Middle School into High School was extremely smooth – one of my children attended Danbury HS and two currently attend Immaculate HS – they all were/are able to take Honors and AP classes as above-average students. My family will truly miss the faculty and staff at SJS—they are professional, caring people who helped to shape my children into the fine, young adults they have become.

The class size was 30! Books would fall on my child's head from the cubby above as she tried to get her books for classes. There were no lockers for the kids. Space was a serious problem. More importantly, the policies are antiquated and in some instances emotionally hurtful to the self esteem of a child. I made a mistake putting my child here. My child was miserable because of a lack of individual help from teachers who make promises they don't keep, apply policies differently to favorite students and are inexperienced and sometimes completely unreasonable. However, I don't blame then completely, they have poor leadership. I pray that change will come to the deserving kids of this school, however I removed my deserving child to a nurturing fantastic school. My child is back to flourishing.

Aside from the great educational program I feel the whole community is wonderful in crafting a well educated child. Currently I have two children enrolled and I feel they are being allowed to grow at their own rate. The involvement of all the parents make this a great community that has good goals for the childrens growth. I think Mrs Lanni does an awesome job steering the children and helping them have a mutual respect for each other. There really is no perfect place in the world, but for the price and the community and leadership this is a place you really can't complain about. The arts and music programs have great passion. The athletics and basketball programs have parents that are really dedicated and goal oriented. Overall I give this school two thumbs up.

My daughter attended this school from kindergarten to fourth grade. There are some excellent teachers, but sadly there are also horrible inexperienced teachers managing classrooms that are far too big. Older grades have only one teacher for up to 28 students. My daughter had a learning disability which was completely ignored because her teacher was incapable and overwhelmed. . My child was given above average grades, and on the last day of school I was given her Iowa test score which showed her as 1 year behind. More up to date testing in public school measured her as 3years behind in reading. She had received A's and B's in fourth grade yet only read at 1st grade level. Had her teacher done her job correctly my daughter would have received the help she needed. I strongly recommend against this school if your child is anything but an average student. For us, SJS in Danbury did not accurately measure progress, nor do they take responsibility when one their teachers horribly failed a child. I met with the Deputy Super intendant, and he is only concerned with discussing his own past achievements- it was a joke to speak to him. Think long and hard before paying them to hurt your kid.

We have attended St. Joseph's pre-k for the past two years. The teachers are excellent. They provide great support for the pre-k student. On the negative side, the class sizes are very large (19 students) and if one of the teacher or the teacher's aide is absent, they do not always have a substitute, so the one teacher must supervise 19 children on her own. I would not recommend the aftercare program for younger students. Last year, pre-k and kindergarten students were in a separate school with very appropriate activities for their age. This year, the principal has stated that there are staffing as an issue, so all students pre k through 8th grade are in the same room. Some of the after care teachers are great at playing with the younger kids, but two of the staff sit at the table and do not interact with the younger children.

St Joseph School has a new Principal this year and many new and wonderful things are Happening!

Last modified St Joseph Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8