Danbury, CT

Ellsworth Avenue School 5

Posted August 26, 2003
Being a new parent, you tend to get opinions from other parents when it comes to growing up and going to school. When asking around, everyone always said great things about Roberts Ave. Elementary. My parents wanted us to move in with them so my kids could go to the local school I grew up in, but things have changed there and not for the better. My daughter is entering Roberts Ave. Elementary as a first grader this year. Last summer, when we got a letter from her kindergarten teacher, it was loopdy-loop and looked like someone fresh out of college. My first thought was she was going to have a newbie teacher. I really wanted an old schooler. But when I finally met her teacher, I was all wrong. She had taught for several years and we ended up loving her. She, like the other teachers I've met while volunteering, love what they do and the kids love them too! The principal knows everyone by name, and that impressed me alot! When we moved out of district over the summer, both my daughter and I were saddened, until we found out she could attend this year. When my daughter found out who her first grade teacher was, I was sure she would be nice. Turns out it was a teacher I sat with at a volunteer 'Thank you' breakfast and she is nice! Overall, it's a great school. I just wish some of the parents could get more involved. I understand we live in a 2 income society, but the kids and the school need you all too!

Ellsworth Avenue School 5

Posted June 13, 2003
Don't be fooled by the statistics! This urban school has it all together. Extra funding and volunteers help support a phenomenal multi-cultural setting that is helping kids succeed. We are an English speaking, caucasian family. Through unfortunate circumstances, our first grader has attended three elementary schools, Roberts Avenue being his current school. Before we came here, getting him to read was a painstaking process and having him write tested our patience every time he had homework. Now, he loves to write. In fact, he has started his own journal at home where he writes his own stories. His reading has improved drastically. We credit his teacher and the incredible support staff at Roberts Avenue. The English as a Second Language teachers spend time in the classroom as well as Title I teachers, so there always seems to be so many adults around who help with the issues so that the teacher can teach! The school also has many male teachers, which is fantastic. Don't let the outside of this old school drive you away. Roberts Avenue has been sold to Western CT University and the district will be building a new school in a different location. There is a Spanish/Portguguese speaking liason so that parents who do not speak English have someone who can communicate with them. Homework instructions are also sent home in both languages, if needed. It's been a great transition for our son, thanks to his teacher. He loves going to school and is thrilled with his progress.

Ellsworth Avenue School
11 Seventh Ave, Danbury, CT  06810
Last modified Ellsworth Avenue School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ellsworth Avenue School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 3 reviews. Top