Bad
Good

Holmes School is an all around great school community, students and families, teachers and administrators; everyone works together for the common good.

My two daughters have attended Holmes. My wife and I are products of NYC schools - Browning and Performing Arts - and have educators on both sides of the family. While we have had some beefs with individual teachers and/or administrative decisions, we were ultimately able to work things out. Every few years we 'check' on other area schools to make sure we made the right decisions. We still think Holmes beats Fairfield County public AND private school options hands down. New Cannan is probably on par. Despite scores, we think Darien is superior to Wilton, Westport, Ridgefield and Weston. A truly exceptional school system and value for the property-tax mil rate.

I just finished up here and I liked it. I thought that the new principal was ok, I think she was different and that I would have needed some getting used to because they were very different. I like the connections between the kids and the teachers. I felt there were no "bad" teachers, some were stricter then others but they were all very nice. I thought that all the kids were nice and we all knew each other. I would recommend this school to others!

I have one child in third grade and have been thrilled with the quality of teachers and the level of commitment to the students by both the instructors as well as the administrators. Every phone call, email or other inquiry I have made is promptly responded to. The new principal has brought a fresh perspective and approach and she is well regarded by both the students and the parents.

the kids are nice but the teachers seem bullied by parents who want timmy to go to harvard and demand homework in kindergarten. moved my kid out of this school after 3 years. community is more interested in low taxes than great education. private donations fund school technology and playgrounds. they teach to the top 10% and if your kid "doesn't get it" then too bad. no before or after school activities and no extra help for kids who need it. and yes - we actually moved here for the schools - go figure. wealthy and white do not equal great education.

I've been sadly disappointed at Holmes. I have a 2nd grader here. The principal is uninterested in education & improvements. The status quo suits her fine. Don't ask for anything - no is her favorite word. Some teachers are good, but if you are unlucky - well, you'll know.... And forget about services for your child if they're LD. Those are for 'emergency' cases only (down syndrome, autism, etc). If your child has dyslexia, you are out of luck. They told me my older child was low IQ & not terribly bright, etc, when in fact he has language based learning disabilities. We are self paying for an out of district private school. Uggghhh...... You would expect better in town like Darien.

All my children have attended Holmes School and one of them is in special needs. The special education teachers and programs are terrific. The teachers listen to your concerns provide great suggestions to aid your child at home. The parent involvement is huge and the funding raising is unbelievable. The principal has been nothing short of terrific. The community comes together whenever their is a child or family in need.

over size class rooms and bad testing

Im not impressed. ( by the district) ...... The classes are all at maximum.. parent particiaption is minimal. This is an affluent well educated community. Im surprised they dont have more complaints.

Last modified Holmes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.