Coginchaug Regional High School

Public | 9-12

Posted July 20, 2012

And today I read, again, that more than half do not meet State standards in English, and not only that, but the results are the worst in six years for the remaining subjects tested. Still happy with where more than 80% of your tax dollars are going,are you ?

Posted October 31, 2009

I am a graduate of CRHS and very pleased that my parents chose to make our home in Durham. Yes, growing up I was not very excited about being 'stuck' in a small town but the education that District 13 offered me cannot be compared. I am now a teacher and have taught in various districts across the US and none of them have compared to CRHS. The educational standard in Durham/Middlefield is definitely top notch. Yes, it is a small school with not very much diversity but I would choose it over any school for my children. Also, the comrodery that is in the school, especially the band 'The Pride and Spirit of Coginchaug' extends the motto 'We are Family' and they mean it. Whichever ever groups a student belong to they will build memories and lessons for life.

Posted October 29, 2009

As a former student who now goes to a top university in the country, I have to say that I was more than prepared for college by attending Coginchaug. We were taught more then facts here-we were taught how to learn. Some of the most challenging classes I took were at CRHS and the ability to apply the lessons of critical thinking and clear articulation has given me an advantage over my peers at college.

Posted January 13, 2009

Coginchaug High School is top-notch. True, we are a small community, and at times our kids complain about it, but yet it's the very thing that makes it so awesome. I have a child at the school, and I also have another that went to a high school of nearly 3,000. The differences are tremendous. It is true - size does matter. The student-teacher ratio at Coginchaug, combined with hiring the 'best of the best', affords our children a great educational opportunity, and plenty of extracurricular activities. I believe tighter bonds are formed and life-long friendships forged from this environment. Life lessons are learned as well as academics. When something happens, the entire student body, staff & teachers are there to lend a hand, to celebrate, to grieve. All are part of an extended family. The building itself is clean, modern, cheerful, and spacious. The grounds, beautiful.

Posted May 15, 2008

As a student at CRHS, I can honestly say that I am lucky. The school is very small, so there are smaller classes, meaning that we can have more one on one time with them when we need help. It is a very safe environment (fights are very rare) and you can feel that the teachers honestly care about you. Most of the teachers are very dedicated to their jobs.

Posted July 26, 2007

First to be upfront I am a teacher at Coginchaug. I have to say that if I was able to afford a home in town there would be no question where I would want to raise my children. The district is fantastic and every aspect of Conginchaug's community is to be applauded. I unlike the students who go to school there have the option about where to go every morning. Even though there were multiple positions open to me across the state I chose and continue to choose Coginchaug despite lower salary and less benefits because of the strength of the administration, the teachers, and the student body. If you live in Durham or Middlefield and attend or have your children attend Coginchaug you should thank your lucky stars or pat yourself on the back for making an excellent decision on where to call home.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 9, 2006

Being a student at this school, i feel i need to say what really happens at this school. Some teachers don't help you when you ask for it based on how you look or your reputation. Kids that need extra attention learning wise don't get it, and certain teachers honostly don't care. They do what is best for themselves. i personally wish i never went to this school at all.

Posted January 11, 2006

I think that Coginchaug High Is An Awsome School, And Have Seen A BIG Differance in My Son's Grades since our move From Middletown to Durham Ct. What More Could I say?

Posted August 20, 2005

I believe CRHS has provided an excellent learning experience for both my children (one graduated in 2005, the other will be a sophmore this year). The teachers and adminstration are accessible and support is there when needed. My daughter, who graduated in 2005 will be attending a top notch university this fall, and was accepted everywhere she applied. The only negatives are the lack of diversity, which is slowly changing, and possible the limitations of a small school (fewer AP classes and more limited athletics), but the advantages of being small far outweigh the disadvantages.

Posted March 16, 2005

Moving to Durham was in large part a factor of the reputable school district. The reason we chose Regional School District 13 was because of the strong academics and learning environment we first saw at the high school. As a senior at crhs this year, I have seen many changes throughout my four years. I have had an amazing experience, not only in academics but also in outside activities. I feel the academics are very strong and because of my classes, I have been accepted into many presitgious universities. Although it seems some students may have issues with the presentation of the school or the discipline within, I feel Coginchaug administration has done all it can do in dealing with certain issues. Yes, I am ready to graduate, but I will always remember my four years here.

Posted November 14, 2004

I don't know what you're talking about. As a recent graduate of CRHS, I never felt my safety was compromised, and I don't think many others did either. The teaching staff is extraordinary, and Coginchaug was a great place to learn. Maybe there was an isolated incident regarding your son, but there is no way that you can characterize the school as being unsafe or a very poor school. It s true that there isn t a lot of diversity in the area, but that s not something that the administration can fix. Overall, Coginchaug is one of the better schools in the area and I wish that I had realized what a great opportunity I had attending high school was while I was still at CRHS and not just in retrospect.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 30, 2004

My son is currently enrolled at crhs (coginchaug regional high school) and i'm considering pulling him out. This school has a major problem and i'm concerned for the safty of my child. The administration, in my opinion, is doing a very little to minimize these problems. This school also provides a poor learning atmosphere and racism is common. Overall, coginchaug is a very poor school.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

143 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 89% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

In 2012-2013 Connecticut used the Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) to test students' skills in reading, writing, science and math in grade 10. The CAPT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Students with disabilities76%
Students without disabilities99%
Proficient in English96%
Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A35%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

135 Pickett Ln