East Granby, CT

Allgrove School 0

Posted October 12, 2010
The staff is caring and devoted. We are the smallest independent school system in the state of CT -- we have very limited resources. This money could help in so many ways. We have leaks in the roofs, asbestos, ants in the springtime, and currently no money to hire a substitute custodian while our regular one is on medical leave.

Allgrove School 4

Posted January 05, 2010
I have two children in Allgrove at the moment. My initial impression of the school itself was disappointing, as the building is terribly out of date and has fallen into what many would consider to be 'disrepair'. However, the teachers thus far have proven to have a dedication to the students that surpasses other schools and that is what makes Allgrove special. I have my opinions of the administration of the school district, and the town's politics are an entire separate post, and in spite of that the teachers really strive to go above and beyond their environment and circumstances to provide a quality education. I am concerned about the large size of the classes, though. Having volunteered many times for in-class helping, I have witnessed the utter crowding and distractions that come with 24+ students per teacher in some cases. There will be much trouble if teacher positions are cut

Allgrove School 4

Posted May 06, 2007
My son is in kindergarten and he enjoys the school very much and so do I. I think that the whole school is involved with his education, the secretaries, support staff, etc. and not just his homeroom teacher. They have prepared him well for first grade.

Allgrove School 3

Posted April 24, 2007
2006-2007 Academic year has this school full to the brim. Teachers are very strong (well seasoned) but with so many kids in each class, it is hard for them to get everything done. This town desperately needs a new elementary school. This building is quite old and in disrepair. Notes of importance: Kindergarten is 1/2 day only. Bathooms are terribly old and need updating. School does the best it can with what it has to work with--which is a really old building built for much fewer students.

Allgrove School 5

Posted January 04, 2007
I have had 3 children go through Allgrove, and we have experienced tremendous improvements with the addition of new, bright, positively focussed, and charismatic teachers. I love to volunteer in the classrooms to learn more positive ways of setting expectations and following through with consequences that get kids to cooperate! The new Everyday Math program is outstanding. I wish I could send my 7th grader back to Allgrove. The new focus on social interactions and making good choices, is positive and refreshing. The only change I would like to see that would make it safer for picking up and dropping off children during the school day, is that the teacher parking and visitor parking be switched to allow children to remain on the building side of the enterance and not have to cross traffic. Overall, many kudos!

Allgrove School 5

Posted March 21, 2005
Allgrove School is an excellent school for interaction between students and faculty, parents and faculty, and community and faculty. I also attended Allgrove and have many wonderful memories that I hope my children will also have. The reading program is also commendable and I have no doubt that my children will be prepared for all the standardized testing to come in the future.

Allgrove School