Posted August 20, 2013
I disagree with the previous reviews - some written several years ago. I think the principal we currently have is very open to making Flanders into a desirable learning environment for all children that attend. I have always found her to be very approachable! I have several children attending and when I had an issue regarding my child she was very happy to meet with me. I think if you are interested in moving into this community, you would be very lucky to have your child attend this School! Regarding the PTA - I have alway found the board very open to new ideas and I know I have not paid for a single field trip for my child because the PTA paid for them. They also have many family events. It was nice just spending time with my kids and other families in the community.

Flanders School 4

Posted April 25, 2012
I I agree with the review that the principal has done the Blue Ribbon designation of Flanders School a disservice. Flanders had always been an innovative elementary school, one in which people moved to the area for. The quote stated in a previous review that had been hanging at the school entrance for many years is now gone. The Responsive Classroom philosophy only goes as far as the teachers choose to use it as the Principal is clearly not supporting it. This school used to be rated a "10" with Great Schools, but is going downhill. Children who are above "level" get no additional enrichment while children who are below "level" receive support. It has become a great place to be average. The school craves inspiring, innovative and energetic leadership. The current principal has made many changes; Few that positively affect the children.

Posted October 05, 2009

Posted May 20, 2009
I agree with the previous comment. The school and the the majority of the teachers are great. It is a Nationally Recognized Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, however the current principal was not there when this designation was given and, unfortunately, does not know how to keep the school in Blue Ribbon status. The PTA would do well to be more welcoming to new members and accept new ideas. They do a poor job of encouraging school spirit with their activities, and also a poor job with respect to the school staff. Aside from this, the school is a wonderful learning environment and there are some terrific, caring teachers. Special Ed is also top notch.

Posted March 21, 2007
Flanders is a wonderful school. The curriculum is based on the Responsive Classroom system and it is very effective. My son loves coming to school. If you plan to send your child here, don't expect much from the PTA. They are an elitist group that does not function well and is scoffed at by most of the Flanders community as being totally ineffective. It is a real shame since they could make Flanders so much better than it already is. There is a quote on the door as you enter Flanders that is a bit ironic with respect to the PTA. It says, 'In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.' The PTA would do well to read and heed those words.

Flanders School
167 Boston Post Rd, East Lyme, CT  06333
Last modified Flanders School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Flanders School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 5 reviews. Top