No rating

Easton Country Day School

Private | PK-12 | 100 students

Living in Easton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $592,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted May 31, 2012

ECDS is the place to be! Both of my children are fortunate enough to attend Easton Country Day School and High School. They came from public school which was extremely high pressured and left both of them feeling miserable. From problems socially to pressured academics and lack of compassion, it was definitely not the way school should be. I was hoping for the right environment to come along and ECDS is it. I find the administrators and faculty go WAY above the call of duty in helping my children succeed. Both of my girls have created such a strong bond between all of their teachers, they can't wait to go to school. I have read some negative reviews on this page and I think people have gotten the wrong perspective on what ECDS is about. This school has not only changed my kids lives, but has guided them to be who ever they aspire to be.

Posted May 28, 2012

My wife and I recently viewed the school and it is not a place we were interested in sending our child to. It is on a lovely property but it stops there. We drove up and noticed students in the parking lot smoking. Although the student were polite and helped us find our way in, we thought this was inappropriate to allow minors that privilege since its illegal. The principal that gave the tour seemed very warm and knowledgable but the building was very depressed. The entire tour we saw a run down building that was in great need of a cleaning. Filthy.

Posted May 23, 2012

I have had my children at ECDS for the past two years and are now leaving. We were totally misled on what this school is about. I have read the reviews and we to have had had some good experiences. I have enjoyed some of the staff and parents. The problem is the school has chosen a direction and now has a reputation for being a place for children with learning disabilities and emotional issues. When you are paying almost 17k per child a year, you expect a higher level of instruction. You might as well save your money and use your public school system.

Posted June 23, 2011

My daughter has been at ECDS since preK and has just completed 6th gr with honors. Jill has been embraced by caring and highly intelligent teachers and directors. She has an incredible love of learning and loves being in school - This I attribute to her years at ECDS. Her academics have been on a consistant track for success and she has been in advanced classes for yrs. ECDS prides itself on not holding anyone back for the case of "mainstream" and looks at each individual. WOW.

Posted January 12, 2011

My son has been a student at ECDS for 4 years. This school and the directors have been a god-send to my son. Perhaps he was one of the students that the other parent referenced as emotional issued but being different, extremely bright & ignored in public school can create a child with issues. The same way that this school erases them! It is well worth the money we spend.

Posted December 31, 2010

I of course, believe that ECDS is an amazing place to educate children. I was asked by a large group of our parents to respond to a parent who posted on Great Schools that there are always 14 children in a class. We base our class sizes on what a particular student/ classroom needs. Class sizes vary from 2 to 14 students. For example: for 6th grade math we have 3 different teachers and classes. One class consists of our highly gifted students who can move exceptionally fast. There are 5 students in that math class. Another class with 12 students moves at a typical pace and a third class consists of 8 students who have time for enhanced curriculum. As you can see class size truly depends on what is best for each individual child. If a child is thinking of returning to public schools following ECDS, we try to expose them to learning in a larger group of children to prepare them. We want to make sure each child who leaves ECDS is prepared for the environment they are moving into. If the child is looking to stay at ECDS we often encourage smaller classes where we can focus on individual interests as well. I hope this helps clear up the issue.

Posted November 29, 2010

I have to disagree with the post of "only 14" in a classroom and rarely in a academic. This is not true for my child. I have been an ECDS parent for many years and 14 or more is the normal class size in all of my daughters classes. There may be a paraprofessional at times but not usually. My oldest child graduated from ECDS and attended when the class sizes really were a 6 to 1 ratio. I have seen some positive changes but in large have become very disappointed with the quality of the school as a whole. I do not see much difference from our local public school and ECDS (Fairfield) as I am utilizing both. At this point I would not use the high school, I have to agree with the prior post, it is ripe with vulgar language from many of the unsupervised students that seem to be hanging out more often then in a class or activity. I have to say in defense of the headmasters who really do care about the students, they seem to be in charge of the elementary school and the high school is its own entity with its own headmaster.

Posted November 16, 2010

What happened to the Phoenix Academy model? What a great loss and disappointment this school has become. Gone are the days of a true 6:1 student/teacher ratio. My children have 14 in a class, the teachers are great but have seem overwhelmed by the amount and the amount of high behavioral needs of the more recent students. This has become the place to go if your child has emotional issues. The highly anticipated high school addition is full of vulgar language that has now spread to the lower grades. No one seems to have a handle on the huge growth. I am sorry to say, if you have an average or above average learner and are looking for the comfort and small feeling the once was Phoenix , this is not the place for you.

Posted January 4, 2009

Amazing School!! This is the way education should be. The individual student is taken into consideration and each child matters. The Co-Directors each are wonderful and they 'get it' and what they say will happen does. Their heart felt philosopy on how to educate the child as an individual but also teaching how to be part of a community happens. Bravo!!! They really do what they say!

Posted September 29, 2008

Love the school. I have 2 children that have gone through the school. It has a great balance of structure and play. No other school around like it!

Posted March 13, 2008

As a graduate, I came back to look at Easton Country Day School's beautiful new facilities. They are terrific. I loved this place - individual attention, interesting school work, nice people. Hope I live near enough to send my own kids.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 21, 2007

Phoenix Academy was a wonderful school for my child (who has graduated). The directors and teachers of this school make a point of knowing each child well enough in order to understand how the individual child learns. Some children learn differently, and Phoenix will find the way that works for your child. In addition to excellent academic standards (their high testing score results show this), they teach the children how to be good community members and good citizens. Phoenix teaches children to acknowledge each other's differences, accept responsiblity for their individual behavior (not blaming others for their bad feelings), and to treat each other with care and kindness, no matter what! This is a great environment for learning.

Posted July 13, 2007

Phoenix Academy has been an amazing environment for my children. One of their sayings is 'there are no cookie cutter kids' at Phoenix. Every child is recognized for their own unique abilities and talents. The academics are definitely challenging but there is always someone to help if needed. The spring dramatic production of 'HONK' was professional material. The students were amazing. Go there and check it out. You will be glad that you did.

Posted May 15, 2007

I'm a student at phoenix academy and I really really enjoy it there. All of the teachers do there best to keep the students safe and they do a really good job. I remember that before I went to phoenix, I wouldn't really do anything with the other kids in my class. But the thing with phoenix is, that everybody there is nice and will help you no matter what. One of the principals taught me history, science, and math, and I actually understood what she was talking about. All I'm going to say know is thank you Phoenix and I'll really miss you! Ananymous
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 12, 2007

Phoenix, This year is my daughters last year. WOW! She has excelled extremely post Bridgeport Schools system. Every parent knows when their child is academically different and unique from the ordinary. And as a parent we must do what is necessary to ensure they are place in an environment which will allow them to grow socially and academically in a loving professional environment. My daughter struggled with Math up entry. It is funny because we had conversation the other day and she actually laughed and said 'I didn't know what I was doing with math' which left her frustrated. Now she welcomes Math and every subject achieving honors and presidents awards. Her parents owe this to Phoenix Academy and the wonderful staff over the years. We will never forget Mr. Mastri (Thank you) and Ms. Sue Ellen and Ms. Jodi. Thank you Phoenix ..so long ...never goodbye..Our family .

Posted November 30, 2005

See our new campus in Easton! My sons are taught at their levels. Phoenix has given us happy children who respect people and have top test scores. At Phoenix my sons are indivuals who are educated as complete children. There is no teaching to the middle or for some national test. As a parent my concerns are always heard by the teachers and principals. For a happy school that will prepare your child well for life inside and outside of the classroon, visit Phoenix Academy in Easton. Tyler - Phoenix Parent

Posted September 16, 2004

Warm and yet excellent academics. Very willing to work on maximizing curriculum to meet the needs of both of my daughters. We saw their achievement percentile rankings improve 28% and 30% the first year there.Both kids feel sense of community in the school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 4%

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school