Enfield, CT

Enfield High School 1

Posted May 25, 2013
I have attended this school for 4 years and it is truly a horrible school! I would like to actually be prepared for college next year, but EHS doesn't do much to prepare their students. Classes are a joke (I'm not saying this because I'm lazy or unmotivated). I barely get homework and teachers do not teach as much as they should. Staff members are OK. The guidance department is filled with very friendly counselors, but can be a real hassle when trying to get things done (college stuff, course changes, etc.). Extra curriculars are a joke. AP courses are a joke (only AP calc seems helpful in prepping for college-level courses at this school). EHS is overall a joke. It is a waste of time because you won't get anything out of EHS.

Enfield High School 3

Posted July 26, 2012
I moved to this town for the excellence of education and academic standards. A few of the previous reviews from a few years ago alluded to the deterioration of EHS if it could not keep up with curriculum standards and new technology. Yes, it used to be one of the top schools a couple years ago, but who knew things would get so bad so quickly? Facilities are a joke and are in dire need of expansion and renovations. My son says that the science labs are virtually useless. Passed that teachers are great, but more enrichment programs are needed. Snob factor is high, especially in a community where kids are handed everything from expensive cell phones to cars. The term "preppy" comes to mind. Due to no budget increases, curriculum and programs are cut. We need high school consolidation: academic benefits and high reimbursement rates with renovate-to-new facilities. If it does not pass the Nov 2012 referendum, I'm cutting my losses and moving out of town. It's really gotten that bad. Overall, mediocre at best. Teachers need more passion and direction from the administration. Investment is needed for more educational benefits.

Enfield High School 2

Posted April 05, 2012
Decent school that's lost its steam. Back when I came to EHS around 2008 and 2009, there were some real superstars that went on to do great things. Now, in 2012, most of us don't have any motivation. The curriculum has been cut like crazy and our facilities are just downright embarassing: Old labs, small auditorium/stage (now with no music program), outdated library (that's "new"), odd sized classrooms with no tech), small gym and disgusting locker rooms (visiting schools laugh at us), the wierdest floorplan (where you have to cross a long potholed filled parking lot outside to get to class on time), and a ventilation system that makes it freezing in the winter and extremely hot in the spring/summer. The only reason why I'm giving this review two stars instead of none is because of the teachers. They really prepare you well to be a good citizen and leader. Our strong points are our English, history, and arts depts, but we really need to work on business, math, and science. The teachers don't teach to the "test". If we did, then our SAT and CAPT scores would be a lot higher. I'm graduating this year, probably on a side field where we have to bring out own chairs. Changes are needed

Posted April 25, 2011
This high school consistently doles out students who are really the cream of the crop. It is no surprise that some of our students gain admission to some of the best schools in the nation. The teachers are nurturing and genuinely care about their students. Our academic program is supurb and the school offers a wide variety of extra-curriculars. The only problem with the school is that the school's facilities are in POOR condition. Our classrooms are small and are ill-equipped, the music and auditorium are in bad shape, and the science labs haven't been updated since the school was built in 1960! The ENTIRE school is in need of a TOTAL gut and renovation. Our quality of education is already good, but can be improved with more amenities that other newer schools are built for education in the 21st century. All in all, Enfield High School is a great school for high-achievers and is located on a beautiful campus. Home prices are on the rise as the education in this town is consistently improving. If it were ten years ago, I would have sent my kids to private schools, but now what EHS offers is comparatively better. Bravo to the leadership, administration, and the teachers!

Posted June 27, 2010
Enfield High School is known to be a very good school. There are courses for different types of students. Teachers are ever-caring and go way beyond my expectations to make sure students are well instructed. Environment is very competitive. Sports and activities are available and highly encouraged. However, due to hard budget times and declining enrollment, we are slowly losing programs that encourage high performance: AP classes, music programs, art classes, world languages. Fermi and Enfield High need to be combined in order for resources to be more centralized and available for the entire student population in the town of Enfield. There is NO need for two high schools. I can only think of good improvements coming from a high school where programs and resources are more available than struggling with two HUGE high school budgets. Enfield High is good now, but in a couple of years, it'll be gone.

Posted April 06, 2010
The only thing I have to complain about the school is the snob-factor. There seems to be a wide influence and pressure on what to wear, what cellphones to have, whose house is bigger. We aren't rich, but we did move into affluent northwestern CT communities like Enfield in order for my kids to get a top-rate education. Enfield High is a wonderful school that is comparably the best in the area. Numerous AP/ Honors courses. School prepares heavily for SATs and CAPT. It seems like the town has a huge separation of poor vs. well-off, which does bring in cultures of poverty. Well, at least the schools are good.

Enfield High School 0

Posted April 06, 2010
Enfield High is honestly a school that is an honor and a privilege to attend. The teachers are caring, my peers are all sophisticated in their own sense, the honors classes are fun. I'm involved in a whole bunch of extracurriculars. I may or may not be going against the grain here, but I really do look forward to going to school every morning. Is that crazy? It's EHS and I'm so glad that I have the support that you can't get anywhere else in any other town.

Enfield High School 5

Posted March 04, 2010
Our schools ratings should be a lot higher, like an 8 or a 9. Our teachers do a great job preparing us for college and life. It's the Hartford kids that bring our scores down thanks to the Open Choice program. Our school probably accepts the most students from there in our area. They bring their drugs and viiolence and bad manners. Meanwhile, the administrators are using them to promote diversity and how great it is that our school now has a 'diverse' student body. Yeah... I don't buy into that.

Posted March 01, 2010
I graduated from here a few years ago and the town is a bit snobby. Don't get me wrong. The school has an incredible faculty and is an excellent academic institution with a demanding curriculum. If you don't wear Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, Hollister, or an A&F shirt, and pop your collar, then you probably won't fit in. If you're a girl, be prepared to join the Field Hockey team and wear sweaters tied around your necks and UGG boots. This is thanks to all the new mansions and wealthy neighborhoods being built in town within the last decade This can be a good thing and a bad thing, but I wish it didn't come at the sacrifice of the cultural values of our school. Anyway, Enfield High School is a great high school, but it isn't without its flaws.

Enfield High School 5

Posted February 18, 2010
Enfield High rocks! I transferred to this school from Windsor a few years ago. The teachers are wonderful here! They really cater to your needs and help you perform effectively in ways I've never thought I could! The administration is strong and disciplinary, which is something which lacked in my old school. The guidance counselors go out of their way to help you socially and academically. The academic environment is competitive and students seek to excel to their highest ability. Just look at our test scores! Now if we only combined the two high schools and updated our facilities, then our school would really be working at our highest potential. This is really a great school which I would say one which rivals that of a private school education. The environment at EHS is one that caters to learners and leaders.

Enfield High School
1264 Enfield St, Enfield, CT  06082
Last modified Enfield High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Enfield High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top