No rating

The Unquowa School

Private | PK-8 | 175 students

Living in Fairfield

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $391,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

Posted September 17, 2009

Unquowa is a great, supportive, community with a lot of leading edge programs. We have two kids there, 8 years at the school, and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. As to academics, 44% of the upper school qualified as Johns Hopkins scholars last year, so the small class size definitely results in good learning.

Posted July 5, 2009

Not academically challenging.

Posted June 27, 2009

The Unquowa School has really dissapointed me. My child went there this year and there was no academic challenge at all. My child learned much less then other schools she has attended. Also, it is an unheaalthy environment for a child to grow. The class size is so small that people are FORCED to be friends with one another. That is not right at all. Another issue we had wasthat the chef at Unquowa really did not accomplish his tasks. He would run out of food on many occasions. The chef would also be so into organics that he would just ruin the food. No flavor! Almost every food can be organic so why would the chef pick the absolute worst food items for young and older children to eat? If you are thinking about sending your child to Unquowa I would seriously reconsider.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 21, 2009

Unquowa is a great school. I have been there for 5 years and am very sad to graduate. The classes are very small and every one is friends with each other.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 7, 2008

This school is very small and by definition is limited in what it can offer. Some people really love that intense sheltered environment. Others are more concerned with the curriculum's limited offerings. Unquowa promotes a basic skills approach which is exactly true. It is very traditional and does not compare with the academic depth and breadth of the other independent schools and local public schools. Many families have found curriculum gaps which require remediation when the children transfer. Children who stay there tend to be better suited to that particular style of learning and don't mind the social limitations. Student and faculty turnover is notable and the school's reputation is mixed. Some families love it but people who leave usually have valid reasons. Unquowa is so alternative it only works for some children or families. The school's emphasis on organic food and corresponding farming curriculum is unique.

Posted November 5, 2008

I had a daughter attend Unquowa for 9 yerars and a son who currently goes there. The school prepared my daughter for high school. She is in honors classes and getting all A's. My son loves it there. I can't imagine anyone not liking this school.

Posted October 20, 2008

In my three years at Unquowa, I can safely say I learned only the bare minimum. To attend the local high school, I had to take remedial classes in two major subjects including English. What a waste.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 3, 2007

My husband and I currently have three children attending The Unquowa School. This is our fifth consecutive year and we couldn't be happier. We have found that our children are thriving: academically, socially and emotionally. The faculty supports our children's individual needs, challenges our children and strives to provide an education for the 'total child', all while providing an arena for individual growth and development. Unlike larger public and private schools, we have found the perfect balance for our children: a warm, friendly environment that has embraced our children and our family while providing a challenging academic program balanced with terrific enrichment opportunities. The Unquowa School has been a true gift to our children.

Posted February 14, 2005

There are no grudges here. I simply found the quality of education and 'life lessons' the poorest I've seen in a private school. If I were raising a child to memorize, and copy - I would be happy with this school. However, I am trying to raise my child to understand what she learns, and understand what she does. Since leaving Unquowa my child is FINALLY happy and challenged and proud of her accomplishments.

Posted May 20, 2004

We have sent 2 girls through Unquowa: one currently attends the Upper School; her older sister graduated a few years back. Unquowa provides academic challenge and high expectations within a supportive nuturing environment. Whereas at most schools the grades keep largely to themselves, Unquowa is notable for encouraging a strong sense of community and interaction among older and younger students. Community dining at which table manners are taught and students from different grades sit down to eat together every day reinforces friendship and respect. The coursework offers all the rigor one would want from a small private school and many of the teachers are inspired. Having said this, I will note two minor shortcomings: 1) the school currently offers only Spanish as its foreign language option. (Adding Latin would be excellent!) 2) No formal orchestra or band program exists; musically-inclined students seeking this experience must participate in programs elsewhere.

Posted March 5, 2004

We have been at The Unquowa School for seven years. My older son is in 6th grade and my youngest is in 1st. I have watched my older son grow from a shy, insecure child to an independent, self-confident boy. My younger son is learning self-control and teamwork. Two very different children getting exactly what they need at Unquowa. The graduates in recent years have gone on to the top private schools and boarding schools. A high percentage of our students (I believe it's around 30%) are John Hopkins scholars. Unquowa helps each child strive to reach his or her own potential. If you're looking for a 'high pressure' school, where the child's backpack weighs more than they do, then The Unquowa School is not the place for you. If you want a school that is nurturing, with teachers who truly care about your child, as well as their education, then Unquowa is a school you should consider.

Posted March 1, 2004

At a time when public schools are overflowing with children, Unquowa's small size is especially appreciated. The school's family-style atmosphere is warm and nurturing allowing our kids to comfortably learn and grow. The children are amazingly respectful of each other and the way the grades interact is truly unique. The academics are challenging my 5th grader is learning things that I learned in high school! Unquowa's Winterfest is an incredible all-school event that brings alumni and past families back year after year to celebrate the holiday season. Unquowa is the perfect fit in my child's academic life providing a foundation that will surely carry her far!

Posted February 27, 2004

I'm a parent of high school children who attended Unquowa from preschool through eighth grade. I am writing in response to the poor review, that I believe is from a parent using this website to vent a grudge. It is highly inaccurate. Unquowa has a rigorous traditional curriculum that individualizes. The children are taught respect and tolerance through a nurturing environment. Misbehavior is rare and dealt with immediately and respectfully. Winterfest is a magical production that each child participates in, except our three-year olds. The parents and students build an incredible castle. The children act, dance, sing and create wonderful artwork. There is no money drive involved and disrupts the gym for only one week. There is so much education, creativity, independent work and practical life skills taught that the school is to be highly commended. Unquowa recently received a Leading Edge Award from the NAIS.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab