No rating

The Unquowa School

Private | PK-8 | 200 students

A traditional curriculum with a progressive approach.

Living in Fairfield

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $391,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

Posted September 9, 2014

As an 18-year-old alum of Unquowa, I can now see and understand how much my time there helped to shape me into the person I am today. Duing many of my 9 years at the school (K-8th) I was too young to truly appreciate the community that I was a part of, but I can now see how many of my learning habits trace back to my days at Unquowa. They are committed not only to teaching you information, but to teaching you how to learn in any environment. In their small class setting I was able to utilize the extra attention I was getting, and then with the skills I learned I turned around and was fully prepared to succeed in a public high school nearly 10 times Unquowa's size. The school community is unparalleled; even in college I am still in close contact with some of my peers and teachers from Unquowa, and I always look forward to going back and visiting. I am extremely confident that no school could have done as good a job preparing me for High School, College, and whatever lies ahead in Life as Unquowa has done for me and so many others.

Posted September 2, 2014

I actually have to agree with the parent who discussed bullying. My child suffered from it and when we attempted to talk with the administration, found that neither my child nor we as parents were supported-this went on for an entire year until we voted with our feet and found a school that takes us seriously. I have to say, I appreciate many of the teachers at Unquowa, but there are a couple who really should not be there. I know of one class that had several families (33% of the entire grade) leave due to frustration with the teacher--that alone speaks for itself.

Posted August 28, 2014

We are extremely pleased with the education our children are receiving. The physical improvements and investments they have made in faculty in the past few years are outstanding.

Posted August 18, 2014

We have three children who have attended Unquowa for the last several years and we could not be happier. Our children love going to school and have developed a true love of learning. More importantly, they have been exposed to an atmosphere within the school that stresses respect for others. The headmaster of the school is exceptional in her skills as a leader, educator, and mentor. Indeed she is a visionary leader. She has set the bar at the highest level, not only for academic excellence, but in helping students (and faculty) realize their full potential and gifts. She continuously makes herself availble to speak to any parent, student or faculty member at any time and is always receptive to feedback. This school is a model for bringing out the best in individuals and in helping them see the best in others. To suggest that this school promotes an environment where bullying would be tolerated or that the headmaster is not fully qualified is absurd in the extreme. The Unquowa School is exceptional in excellence. Wish we could give it more than 5 stars.

Posted August 15, 2014

Our family's experience with The Unquowa School was tremendous! As they are now readying for high school and college we couldn't be happier with the cirriculum that they studied, the experience of a multi-faceted education coupled with the teachings of high level study habits and management skills that they use each day. We always received the full support of the faculty and staff whenever called upon. Often times, things were brought to our attention so that our children would receive the most proactive, supportive approach in managing their grade and middle school challenges, whether socially or academically. The Unquowa School allowed our children to be children all the while guiding them towards their future as high functioning, well rounded young adults. The staff and faculty are invested in the success of the student, the classroom and the school. It's long standing success is not coincidence and The Unquowa School was always a home away from home for our family. Do not be fooled by negative, disgruntled comments....please visit the school and meet the people who are The Unquowa School, then decide for yourself.

Posted August 15, 2014

We came thinking that just kindergarten or a couple of years would provide a great foundation of learning skills and love of being in school. Once we were part of the Unquowa community, it was clear that we should stay through 8th grade. Fantastic community spirit among kids and families and teachers, rigorous and broad learning, a visionary head of school, and even a healthy dining program.

Posted August 9, 2014

The school started a mindfulness initiative that is meant to benefit the students and lower their stress. Ostensibly, this will allow for greater skills to learn and interact with peers. The children are meant to do this, however, when they are bullied by fellow students and teachers--there are two that I know of because my children were directly affected--the head of school defends her faculty and dismisses the children and parents. When you're in a public school, there is a no tolerance policy but at Unquowa, anything goes. It is shameful and disgusting that our children are treated without respect and support. Academically this school is mediocre at best. The Board needs to get their head out of the sand and take a very long look at what is going on.

Posted November 22, 2013

My two children are Unquowa alums who hit the ground running in high school - excelling in all honors level classes and, more importantly, becoming happy and active members of their new school community and taking on leadership roles in athletics and school clubs. They both give Unquowa credit for their strong grades and test scores in high school because, as one of them said, "at Unquowa you learn how good school can be and how to study." What a tribute to their Unquowa teachers...thank you!

Posted June 2, 2013

I'm confident my son will be well prepared for high school. A focus on academics and the reinforcement of a strong moral compass are givens at most independent schools and Unquowa is no different in that regard. So what makes Unquowa Special? It's hard to put your finger on it, and as Unquowa parents know, that value is sometimes best told anecdotally. For example, at last week's end-of -the-season athletic awards event I was struck by two things. The first was the athletes at the podium, kids 11-14 years old, speaking about their respective seasons with the clear eyed confidence of seasoned public speakers. The second was the was the fact that no parent had their nose in their iPhone checking emails while the kids were speaking. Confident unafraid students and a interested, involved, and supportive parent community might not have the same measurable import as grades and transcripts, but as a parent, these immeasurable qualities are equally, if not more, important. We're happy we chose Unquowa for our son.

Posted November 16, 2012

A school that should look at itself in the mirror and stop believing its own PR. It is not academically rigorous, it plays favourites with abandon and it is remarkably tin eared to parents' suggestions.

Posted February 20, 2012

I found The Unquowa School to be one of the best experiences of my life. Going to the school I wasn't quite sure what to expect but when I got there I loved it. The teachers and head were the nicest I've ever had and the curriculum was great in challenging you at different levels. After 2 years I left and going to another supposedly top school but it didn't compare at all. I'm learning stuff that I had learned 2 years before at Unquowa. The environment was something I miss dearly, the interaction between the older and younger students is something I haven't found anywhere else. Unquowa was really a one of a kind school built on community, kindness to everyone, and letting everyone come out of their shell if they hadn't been able to at their old public school.

Posted February 18, 2012

I brought my daughter to Unquowa in 5th grade. She entered Unquowa a shy girl who was able to slip through the cracks at public school because she didn't need to give her best effort to get reasonable grades. Unquowa has changed her into a girl who is self-confident in herself and her abilities. She works hard and is challenged by the teachers if she gives less than her best. I have two other children and I only wish it was in our budget to send all of them to Unquowa.

Posted February 18, 2012

I have a child who has been at Unquowa for two years and it has been a great experience. The curriculum is both stronger and weaker than our excellent public school, depending on the subject, but is comparable overall. The environment is small, intimate and sheltered, which has allowed my child to grow significantly in ways she did not feel comfortable doing in the public school. She is now an extremely confident, mature and motivated student who has set high academic goals for herself. Unquowa is not for every child, but sending our daughter there was the best decision we've made on her behalf.

Posted February 18, 2012

We have been an Unquowa family for five years now and remain confidant that it was absolutely the right move for us. At Unquowa, your children will receive a top quality education. By the time they graduate, they will not only have a solid base as a student, but as a human being as well. The negative reviewer below may have a personal axe to grind with the Head of School, but in our experience the leadership has proven to be strong, caring, and progressive. With so many excellent public and private schools in our area, Unquowa really stands out as a unique and thoughtful place. Simply put, a great place to let your children grow.

Posted February 18, 2012

We have been apart of the Unquowa community for 12 years. During that time our children have grown from toddlers to young adults in an educational environment that is supportive, challenging and most of all empowering. Surrounded by people who genuinely care about their development as well rounded individuals, academically, athletically and artistically. An Unquowa education goes beyond books and smart boards, it is a living and growing community of families and professionals all working together so that the students have every opportunity to achieve their personal best. Sustainability at Unquowa is not just a goal, it is the current reality from our vegetable gardens to our graduates and beyond.

Posted February 17, 2012

sub public school quality education at private school prices. Teacher turnover is notable, so clearly your 25k tuition is not going toward the teachers. The school does an impressive job with the marketing itself but the reality is drastically different.

Posted February 9, 2012

Unquowa School gives all students individual attention to attain their personal best. The school teaches self esteem and self confidence by allowing children to take risks and participate in all activities. The Administration has an open door policy, as well as, the devoted teachers. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted February 9, 2012

As a past parent of two children, I can assure anyone interested in a solid rigorous education in a nurturing environment for their children that Unquowa is the school to attend. The caring teachers and small classrooms provides individual attention to your child's learning style. My children were very well prepared for high school. The school provides experiential learning and critical thinking skills needed to be successful.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 9, 2012

All three of my children attended the Unquowa School. The education was excellent. The curriculum is well rounded with great learning experiences in the Visual and Performing Arts. The school is a member of the Fairchester Athletic League. It is diverse and competitive. Unquowa's graduates go on to the best high schools in the area. Unquowa was an incredible experience for my family.

Posted February 9, 2012

The Unquowa School is a nurturing environment for children. The teachers truly care about each and every student and are always available to the students and parents.They are very prepared academically to move on to high school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Yoga club

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 8:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Sharon Lauer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS
Fax number
  • (203) 336-3479

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Drama club
  • Girl scouts
  • Inventors Club
  • Literary magazine
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Technology club
  • Yearbook
  • Yoga club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom