Fairfield, CT
Before care: Yes

Posted December 10, 2014
I am currently the parent of a first and fifth grade student at Unquowa. They have both attended the school since PreK3 and I could not be happier with their experience. It is a truly a place where children are care for mind, body and soul! They are encouraged daily to approach both their learning and social situations with a critical eye and compassion, respectively. Problem solving from a young age and pairing younger students with older students has been beneficial to both my children's intellectual experience and self confidence. The school has recently adopted a mindfulness in education program rooted in an inner resilience program that has made such a difference at school and in the life of our family! Not to mention the fabulous Farm to Fork dining program!

Posted November 24, 2014
Sending our two kids to Unquowa prepared them both for a rigorous, honors level high school curriculum and helped them develop the confidence and strength of character to be involved in a wide variety of activities and athletics. They continue to thrive academically and it is because of the extraordinary preparation they received from their Unquowa teachers. The ease with which they explore new and familiar activities and take on leadership roles in their new schools is because Unquowa taught them how to be engaged members of any community. Thank you!

Posted November 23, 2014
We love that all the teachers know our child. The lunch format where all the teachers and children eat together in a family atmosphere is so valuable. The foreign language curriculum is excellent. The classroom activities are very collaborative which are so relevant to what they will need to succeed in the future.

Posted November 22, 2014
Terrible experience for our whole family. Bullying by teachers that were using humiliation tactics and embarrassment in front of other students led us to meetings with an administration that lacks leadership and any type of effectiveness. My child is sweet, well behaved and bright. She cried not to go to school. We were promised academically challenging classes in a nurturing environment. There was neither. Think twice before exposing your child and wasting your money. I would rate the school with a zero if I could have.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 09, 2014
As an 18-year-old alum of Unquowa, I can now see and understand how much my time there helped to shape me into the person I am today. Duing many of my 9 years at the school (K-8th) I was too young to truly appreciate the community that I was a part of, but I can now see how many of my learning habits trace back to my days at Unquowa. They are committed not only to teaching you information, but to teaching you how to learn in any environment. In their small class setting I was able to utilize the extra attention I was getting, and then with the skills I learned I turned around and was fully prepared to succeed in a public high school nearly 10 times Unquowa's size. The school community is unparalleled; even in college I am still in close contact with some of my peers and teachers from Unquowa, and I always look forward to going back and visiting. I am extremely confident that no school could have done as good a job preparing me for High School, College, and whatever lies ahead in Life as Unquowa has done for me and so many others.

Posted September 02, 2014
I actually have to agree with the parent who discussed bullying. My child suffered from it and when we attempted to talk with the administration, found that neither my child nor we as parents were supported-this went on for an entire year until we voted with our feet and found a school that takes us seriously. I have to say, I appreciate many of the teachers at Unquowa, but there are a couple who really should not be there. I know of one class that had several families (33% of the entire grade) leave due to frustration with the teacher--that alone speaks for itself.
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 18, 2014
We have three children who have attended Unquowa for the last several years and we could not be happier. Our children love going to school and have developed a true love of learning. More importantly, they have been exposed to an atmosphere within the school that stresses respect for others. The headmaster of the school is exceptional in her skills as a leader, educator, and mentor. Indeed she is a visionary leader. She has set the bar at the highest level, not only for academic excellence, but in helping students (and faculty) realize their full potential and gifts. She continuously makes herself availble to speak to any parent, student or faculty member at any time and is always receptive to feedback. This school is a model for bringing out the best in individuals and in helping them see the best in others. To suggest that this school promotes an environment where bullying would be tolerated or that the headmaster is not fully qualified is absurd in the extreme. The Unquowa School is exceptional in excellence. Wish we could give it more than 5 stars.

Posted August 15, 2014
Our family's experience with The Unquowa School was tremendous! As they are now readying for high school and college we couldn't be happier with the cirriculum that they studied, the experience of a multi-faceted education coupled with the teachings of high level study habits and management skills that they use each day. We always received the full support of the faculty and staff whenever called upon. Often times, things were brought to our attention so that our children would receive the most proactive, supportive approach in managing their grade and middle school challenges, whether socially or academically. The Unquowa School allowed our children to be children all the while guiding them towards their future as high functioning, well rounded young adults. The staff and faculty are invested in the success of the student, the classroom and the school. It's long standing success is not coincidence and The Unquowa School was always a home away from home for our family. Do not be fooled by negative, disgruntled comments....please visit the school and meet the people who are The Unquowa School, then decide for yourself.

Posted August 15, 2014
We came thinking that just kindergarten or a couple of years would provide a great foundation of learning skills and love of being in school. Once we were part of the Unquowa community, it was clear that we should stay through 8th grade. Fantastic community spirit among kids and families and teachers, rigorous and broad learning, a visionary head of school, and even a healthy dining program.

Posted August 09, 2014
The school started a mindfulness initiative that is meant to benefit the students and lower their stress. Ostensibly, this will allow for greater skills to learn and interact with peers. The children are meant to do this, however, when they are bullied by fellow students and teachers--there are two that I know of because my children were directly affected--the head of school defends her faculty and dismisses the children and parents. When you're in a public school, there is a no tolerance policy but at Unquowa, anything goes. It is shameful and disgusting that our children are treated without respect and support. Academically this school is mediocre at best. The Board needs to get their head out of the sand and take a very long look at what is going on.

The Unquowa School