No rating

Miss Porter's School

Private | 9-12 | 319 students

Living in Farmington

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $269,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,300.

Posted November 24, 2013

My daughter attends Porter's and we are very disappointed with the continued decline of the school. The head of school and administration are largely absent and unresponsive to any kind of feedback. Half of the faculty has left over the past two years and the new teachers are far too young and inexperienced to be effective in the classroom.

Posted September 24, 2013

Amazing. The staff and students here are just so helpful and they are always there for you. The traditions in the school are part of what makes porters unique. The academics are strong and so are the athletics and arts.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 29, 2013

MPS is an outstanding institution that helps girls become women of confidence, substance and stature. The academics are rigorous and the expectations high, but the teachers are available to support and cheer on the students. The fellow students are even more supportive--remarkably so-- and their is little tolerance for bad behavior among the girls. Everyone seems to find a niche where they can flourish. Finally, they give the girls the freedom to find their place in the world, without pushing them to go to a short list of colleges or engage in a preconceived list of activities.

Posted January 9, 2013

The new head of school is a great business woman but has no real love of the girls. She has changed a lot of the wonderful established traditions It seems as if she has sucked all the fun out of the school. Many of the girls are demoralized. Some of the teachers are exceptional but many are only average. The pressure on the girls is huge and the support system is lacking. If I had the decision to make all over again, I would not have sent my daughter there.

Posted May 16, 2011

Miss Porter's School is a boarding school for girls, grade 9 through 12, located in Farmington, Connecticut. It is ranked number 1 all-girls school in the US. There are only about 89 students per grade, with the class average of 11 students and student teacher ratio of 1:8. It has one of the highest average SAT scores throughout high schools. Notable alumni include Jacqueline Kennedy, Gloria Vanderbilt, Dorothy Bush(Former-President Bush's sister), Dorothy Walker Bush(President bush's mother), Mamie Gummer(Meryl Streep's daughter) and Alice Hamilton. The school is very well-respected and famous donators include Oprah Winfrey. Miss Porter's School as sent many of its students to Ivy League colleges. It is difficult to get accepted to attend there. The acceptance rate of 2011 was very low according to the admissions office.

Posted June 14, 2010

Miss Porter's School is unlike any other. The faculty strive to help the young women develop into self thinking, independent leaders. The faculty go above and beyond to insure that each young woman develops into her own.

Posted March 3, 2010

I can't believe how fortunate I am to be able to attend a school like Porter's. I have learned so much from my teachers, and the day-to-day interactions with faculty and students has made me so well-rounded. The all-girls atmosphere has been so great. I have the confidence to voice my own opinion and the gumption to compete against other males. The camaraderie one forms with all the other students is invaluable and it is so exciting thinking about how we will all shape a changing world in some way. Some of our classmates are doing that already, too, right out of Porter's! I have learned priceless skills and knowledge from this school, and I will not soon forget what an impact it has made on me. If you are considering an all-girls boarding or day school, you must see Porter's.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 1, 2009

Miss Porter's School is the number 1 All Girls Boarding School in America. MPS produce leaders. They provide a quality education designed to over prepare their young ladies for their next step in life. ie: AP classes, admission to top tier universities of the students choice and most important, the confidence to excel and impact society. Finally, as a parent, it was difficult to send my child hundreds of miles away to school. When I stepped on campus, I saw a strong confidence and pride in the students. I felt comfortable that I saw security guards actively patrolling campus, who seemed to know all of the girls by name. Oddly enough, the ladies spoke to him first. But when I met the dorm parents and saw how active and supportive they were in each of these girls day to day lives, I was impressed.

Posted August 31, 2008

I attended Miss Porter's and I have to say without a doubt it was the most important educational experience of my life. At a critical time in a young girl's life, MPS helps to guide, grow and develop its students in a way that strengthens a girl for the challenges that lie ahead throughout her life. I would highly recommend it to any parents and girls who are considering MPS.

Posted July 26, 2008

This is an outstanding school with caring faculty. My daughter just finished her first year in college and was extremely well prepared. My second daughter will begin this year and we are very excited about the opportunities she will have. Porter's is extremely rigorous and students can focus on learning rather than the hyper AP culture of our larger and excellent suburban schools in CT. Definitely worth a look for any girl that wants more. This has truly been an outstanding experience as a parent watching our daughter and her friends from all over the world.

Posted August 2, 2007

My daughter just completed her first year at MPS and I struggle financially to make it happen. I was almost looking for a reason to see things not work out. But it is the best school for a young woman anywhere! She is constantly challenged and absolutely loves it. I do think they push them too hard, more like a college than a high school. No doubt, if you can afford it...this is it!

Posted June 15, 2007

The experience Miss Porter's provided my daughter and I with was second to none. It is a fantastic enviorment for development and growth, she was truly able to become a praised academic, as well as, herself. I have never made a better or more worth while investment.

Posted January 17, 2007

This is a great school to send your daughters from the start of their high school career, it is an outstanding school with great education and athletic opportunities too.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 27, 2005

The best decision I ever made was to send my daughter to Miss Porter's over Andover and Deerfield. Now at an Ivy she feels her education was second to none and she often feels better academically educated than her friends from Andover and Exeter. For my daughter, after growing up on the upper east side, Miss Porter's was a breathe of fresh air. Many students were from prominent families but there was not the same catty social climbing experienced at other schools. She was able to pursue her passion for pottery and japenese in classes with 2 students. My daughter stands out amongst her peers as driven and grounded. She would not be the wonderful woman she is without Miss Porter's.

Posted March 14, 2005

My daughter attends MPS. It calls itself an intensive learning environment that allows girls to concentrate more without boys. The result, however, is quite the opposite: girls become catty and snobbish and scream whenever they see boys. My daughter now hates going to an all-girls school. The academic aspect is no better: my daughter is not at all challenged by her courses, nor is she compelled to work harder. MPS cites 'traditions' as a very important part of their community, but they never tell you exactly what the traditions are.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have had 2 daughters attend and graduate from MPS and all I can say is that it was a fantastic experience for my girls and our family.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 15% 4%

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

• Dr. Katherine G. Windsor
  • All girls
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Swimming
  • Tennis
  • Track
  • Volleyball
  • alpine skiing, crew, equestrian, squash, ultimate frisbee

Arts & music

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student newspaper