Farmington High School

Public | 9-12 | 1293 students

Posted October 27, 2013

The school is high standard education, excellent teachers, great curriculum. Every student has a chance to be involved in the area of interest.

Posted October 9, 2013

DAYUM DAT SWAGGILICIOS SKOOL LIKE A BAWS SO EPIK LIKE IT TOTALY EPIK SO YOLO BROSKI

Posted May 2, 2010

great school, as a sophomore i love the staff and the teachers make it a top priority to be there for assisting students all the time.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 15, 2009

Farmington High School is one of the best in the state. They challenge all students academically and this pays off huge dividends when they reach college.

Posted December 23, 2008

Farmington High School is truely an honor and privilege for my daughter to attend.

Posted February 26, 2008

The teachers are excellent and methods of learning there are outstanding. My daughter graduated and her experience there has benefited her throughout her college years

Posted March 12, 2007

Farmington High School is truly an exceptional school. You will definately prepare yourself for college and life. Teenagers who live in Farmington/Unionville, that attend FHS, come from different cultural and economic backgrounds which helps add to the diversity of the school. The teachers are second to none. The state statistics show that FHS is one of the top high schools in Connecticut.

Posted October 6, 2006

I was a student at FHS. I agree that the teachers are generally enthusiastic and interested in their students' success. The one qualm I have about FHS is the Integrated Math System. I had to go through this system, as I did not excel in mathematics, and I have found that the 'bits and pieces' mish-mash approach to this series of courses proved unhelpful during my high school and college career. I strongly encourage current students to avoid these classes if possible. A course focusing on one aspect of mathematics would be more useful when college is a goal (this is of course my opinion and is based on my sole experiences as a student).

Posted September 5, 2006

Farmington High served to be the high school that I as well graduated from in 2002. It's a great school that has helped make my academic experience in college so much easier than many of the students I go to school with. The college prep is on point! The staff, faculty, and administration also provide an atmosphere that is welcoming. I loved the experience and would do it again if I could!

Posted August 22, 2006

I graduated from FHS in 2002, went on to pursue undergraduate work and now am employed by a major university in their admissions office doing student recruiting. It is my job to visit high schools in the regions of eastern NY, all of CT and all of RI and I can honestly say that compared to the other schools in the area Farmington is deserving of its title as the best in the state of CT. Its students, teachers and staff provide an environment they should be proud of that really does create the complete high school experience and goes above and beyond preparing students for what lies ahead. After having a positive personal experience one might think that I would hold a bias, but my travels and experiences have led me to believe that Farmington High School truly lives up to its credible recommendation.

Posted February 28, 2006

As a relatively recent graduate of Farmington High School, I cannot overstate the quality of the education I received there. Yes, the teachers are paid very well, but they are the best at what they do. Like any other profession, quality comes with a price. I will never forget the shock I felt during my first semester of college when I realized the degree to which I was over-prepared for higher education. Other college freshmen were struggling with tasks and workloads that I considered trivial, and because of FHS's extensive selection of Advanced Placement classes and quality preparation for AP exams, I entered college as a second-semester sophomore. I am currently pursuing a Ph.D and some of my upperclassmen college students turn in work that would never be accepted at FHS. Some people there may not appreciate their good fortune, but the long-term benefits of this first-rate education cannot be exaggerated.

Posted February 28, 2006

True, Farmington is home to many privileged people, and some are stuck up, but their money paid for my incredible education. Notice that I learned how to spell 'their' correctly. See, old money buys good grammar! It seems like one grumpy reviewer might need to revisit Farmington High, ignore the BMWs in the parking lot and the Gucci in the hallways, and actually LEARN a thing or two. As it happens, I'm not rich, neither were most of my friends. It's not 'Clueless.' There are even (dare I say it...) people from Unionville and Hartford in the school system! Seriously though, anywhere you go will have the rich and the poor, the stuck-up, the embittered envious, and the graciously grateful. Part of high school is learning to navigate this complicated social scene and becoming an independent-minded adult. Farmington doesn't change growing up; it just turns out smarter graduates.

Posted January 14, 2006

I am sorry but if we are so 'stuck up', then why are we the best public school in Connecticut? Not all of the students are stuck up, I have been to 3 different high schools, and out of them this FHS gives the best education, has the best teachers, and the best overall environment that I have seen. Not to mention the school has a nice budget to provide for materials that the students need. I am surprised this school is not a private school. I am proud of Farmington's heritage, and it's awesome school. If you do not like this 'rich, stuck up' life style them don't commeth here. Amen!
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 23, 2005

This school was the worst school I have ever encountered. The children are as stuck up and inconsiderate as thier parents. They have everything handed to them and believe their money will make up for the brains they don't have. I applaud the principle for dealing with these students and thier parents. Some of the teachers extend thair humanity while others are only in it for the pay. Overall, I think this school needs a major makeover and attitude adjustment. The academic standing point is highly overrated.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 81% in 2013.

323 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 89% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

In 2012-2013 Connecticut used the Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) to test students' skills in reading, writing, science and math in grade 10. The CAPT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Students with disabilities76%
Students without disabilities100%
Proficient in English98%
Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Connecticut Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 8%N/A35%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

10 Monteith Dr