No rating

Whitby School

Private | PK-8 | 410 students

An academically forward and challenging environment focusing on the whole child.

Living in Greenwich

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $1,750,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,470.

Posted July 13, 2014

Whitby has been absolutely tremendous for my two children. Engaged and inspiring teachers, personal yet rigorous curriculum, and committed to raising kind, reflective, courageous, and motivated children. One month into summer break and my children are both asking when school starts again in the fall! About to enter year three of a new leadership tenure and I can't imagine how it could get any better. I especially appreciate the global perspective my kids get from being in class with so many students from other countries, and the regular communication I get as a parent. Seriously, I've learned to keep my mouth shut when talking to my friends about their kids' schools. I feel guilty listening to their concerns about unresponsive teachers, poor communication, and general achievement when I couldn't be happier. Schedule a tour and you'll see for yourself. Not really sure what the last review meant by the uniform. The uniform has been the same for the past four years. Some days I think I would prefer no uniform, but then again, my daughter goes through about four outfits a day on the weekend so a uniform definitely helps with morning decision making.

Posted July 11, 2014

Posted February 28, 2014

The Whitby school doesn't care for the children or the parents and the needs of the children. Many issues were brought to the teacher attention then escalated to the head master and nothing was addressed. There is no leadership at this school. The mother's decided to change the uniform mid year and all of the students had just bought new uniforms...

Posted January 23, 2013

Exceptional school. Have been to several international schools, and this one rates among the best. Very pleased with new headmaster, children doing very well. When you can see teachers not only qualified but also enjoying their work, you know your children will get the best education.

Posted October 24, 2012

Whitby has been such a wonderful school for my children. They are so confident and self aware. Their math and reading skills are developing so strong. The Montessori and IB make for a wonderful pairing.

Posted October 6, 2012

Whitby has always been known for its preschool and early elementary years excellence, but it is, in recent years- with its integration of the International Baccalaureate program and the recent arrival of the new Head of School (one of the leading educators in the IB world) -becoming a leader in upper elementary and middle school education in the Greenwich area. Our son, now in third grade, has been at Whitby since preschool and has experienced not only the best in academic teaching (tailored to his specific need for exceptional challenge in the classroom), but his teachers also have provided for him a warm environment that has led to extraordinary social development. The athletics program has undergone a complete overhaul in recent years, and we have been able to watch exceptional athletic team performances over the last several weeks. Any family that values an outstanding and challenging academic curriculum, emphasis on teamwork both on and off the field, and an unsurpassed welcoming sense of community should consider Whitby. It is well worth the investment!

Posted August 18, 2012

Whitby is an excellent Montessori school with an IB International Baccalaureate) curriculum. It is set on 25 acres in the back country of Greenwich, Connecticut.

Posted September 29, 2011

So glad we found Whitby! A great place to learn. The kids love going to school each day!

Posted September 28, 2010

Great individualized learning for kids, great teachers

Posted June 3, 2010

Whitby is Unparalleled!! I am beyond ecstatic about the quality of education my 3 children are receiving. The teachers are amazingly enthusiastic about bringing out the best in each child. Children love to learn! Whitby taps into this as soon as they walk through its doors. The primary program is amazing. Many children start reading at 3 yrs old. The Montessori materials are so practical and sensible which makes learning easier and fun. The International Baccaleaurate certification is an immensely wonderful change to the curriculum, especially in the upper years. Besides fostering a strong 2nd language, Whitby is better preparing our children to think in boundless ways - No borders and no boxes. With inquiry based learning, our children are able to think outside of the box. Lastly, Whitby is extremely culturally diverse. Whitby embraces it and encourages everyone to learn about the different cultures represented at the school.

Posted March 26, 2010

My son has been a Whitby student for 4 years and it has been a wonderful experience!! The teachers are excellent, warm and nurturing. Unlike the 'union mentality' present at many public schools in the Fairchester area, they are there because of their love of teaching rather than a desire for early tenure and taxpayer-funded pensions. And believe me it shows!! The new headmaster had done a great job at focusing the school towards the future and now that it has received its authorization as an International Baccalaureate school, the quality that we have come to enjoy will only get better! In short, this a phenomenal place your children will want to go to day after day! It is a real gem amongst private schools!

Posted March 25, 2010

As a parent, I have found Whitby to surpass Brunswick in both education quality and child nurturing. Now with the International Bachelorette certification, I expect even better results !

Posted March 24, 2010

I am a new Whitby parent this year with two children there and must say I have been very impressed by the quality of education and teachers at the school. The Montessori and International Baccalaureate curriculum has really gotten my kids excited about learning (and going to school each day!) I understand there was some administration issues a couple years back but I find them to be very experienced and open to parent feedback.

Posted February 11, 2010

I am a graduate of Whitby, now attending a top 20 University. I attended Whitby for 11 wonderful years. My parents were involved and invested in the school, even serving as members of the board. My time at Whitby taught me the fundamentals of reading, writing, and arithmetic, but it really taught me how to be a confident, competent, compassionate learner for life (perhaps the most important and useful thing I have ever learned in my life.) While Whitby does tend to go through periods of weak administration, this is no way compromises the teachers ability to teach or the students capability to learn (I survived one of the rockiest transitions in Whitby History.) I would highly recommend Whitby to any parent. Not only did Whitby grant me a great education, but Whitby also offered me a safe environment in which to learn, grow, and thrive in.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 8, 2009

As a parent of a new upper school student, I am very pleased with the quality of teachers. The core teachers (math, english, culture, science) are terrific, as are the advisors.

Posted February 13, 2008

I am the parent of a student in Whitby's Primary Program. Although I have not always been happy with the administration and sometimes question just how traditionally 'Montessori' the school as a whole is, I cannot say enough about the quality of the teachers and the amazing freedom and individuality that is allowed even at this young age. The best thing about Whitby that we have seen so far is that children are not subjected to a rigid curriculum, either with respect to their age or their interests. I cannot imagine having our daughter attend any other school for kindergarten, first grade, etc. because she would have to backtrack from the direction she is headed already at Whitby. The primary program is truly incomparable.

Posted October 13, 2007

As a student from the 5th grade to the seventh grade (where I transferred to a healthier community) I have to say that Whitby has been in a steady slide down the drain. Since the departure of the head of the upper school, the loss of montesorii principals, and the administrations decline, Whitby's system of education has fallen into disrepair. On another unrelated topic, students are required to wear uniforms (not montesorri by a long shot) and students are pretty much allowed to show up whenever they want, weather at 8:30 in the moringing (the begining of school, or 1:30 in the afternoon, without any consequences for showing up late. Not only that, but Whitby's upper school has been decreasing in size, going from a seperate Middle School (7-8) Buildng with 40 Kids, to (before I left) a (7-8) class with 12 kids.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 23, 2007

Whitby School is continuing to advance in areas that most private schools haven not. Installing an international curriculum will have many merits. My children are fully engaged in the learning process and have maintained a high level of excellence. The teachers make all the difference, the attention my children recieve from the child teacher ratio allows them to be fully attentative to each child's individual needs. The facilities are state of the art, with exceptional music and art programs, and the community spirit of the school is very strong. Overall, we are pleased with the school, the curriculum and the teachers. It is a superb school where the children are allowed to explore, learn, and be the best they can be! I would highly recommend the school to prospective families.

Posted May 23, 2007

I have be a parent at Whitby since 1993 and have seen great strides in the curriculum and outcomes of the children's performance. My daughter started at the school at age 2 and graduated 8th grade in 2005. She now goes to Deerfield Academy which is consistently rated in the top 3 of all boarding schools. My daughter not only excelled academically on all the standardized test (ERBs, SSATs, PSATs and the SATs) but she gained confidence in herself and developed into a respectful independent individual. Three cheers to Whitby; the Head of School and the faculty. The best kept secret in Greenwich CT.

Posted May 22, 2007

I have been a teacher at Whitby for the past four years, and I am also the parent of two children who are enrolled here. I chose this school because I wanted my children to be a part of this community. I also love the support that Whitby provides for its faculty and staff. There is on-site childcare, and the school funds Montessori training for its faculty. Whitby also offers a stipend to those who wish to pursue advanced degrees. What's more, the Children's House (ages 18 months to 6 years) has a low ratio of students per teacher in each classroom. Whitby can also boast that it has at least two Montessori-trained teachers in each classroom. Most Montessori schools have one certified head teacher and one or two untrained assistants. The standard of quality at Whitby is much higher than most independent Montessori schools.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 4%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Cantonese)
Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Japanese
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Johns Hopkins Talent Search (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Gym

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Bryan Nixon
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • www.whitbyschool.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
Fax number
  • (203) 869-2215

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Gifted / high performing
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Montessori

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Mentoring
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom