PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have been a parent, teacher, and student (professional development) at Whitby for the past 5 years. We have two children attending Whitby. It is simply a magical place to be. The students are passionate about their learning and caring in their relationships. The teachers are constantly adapting lessons to serve the changing needs of the students, and learning along-side the students. The parents are given plenty of opportunities to learn together and to become involved in their children's learning. Whitby is a learning community that feels and operates like an extended family.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Whitby prevents bullying rather than waiting to respond to it.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Whitby's S.A.I.L. Program is the best I have seen anywhere. The people in charge of this program are truly amazing.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

There is no micro managing. There is a sense of trust between the leadership team and the faculty.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Whitby works at developing the whole student.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

This is one of whitby's greatest strengths. They empower the students to take charge of their learning and to be responsible and caring members of the community.

Amount of homework: Disagree

The homework given at Whitby School is meaningful rather than the busywork I grew up with. That being said, I am of the mindset that 8 hours a day is enough school work and evenings should be spent doing other things. But I have yet to find a school that feels this way.

we are an expat family from Argentina. I have an 11, 7 and 4 yo children. I have been at Whitby for nearly a year now and I can say that it hasnt dissapointed me not even once. I am in love with the school. My three kids are thriving, learning whilst having fun, enjoying every minute they spend at school. Caring, motivating, stimulating, I wish all my 3 kids could spend as much time in this school as possible - no doubt its the best school they have attended.

I have two children at Whitby for the last four years. I have found the teachers to be approachable, thoughtful (in their approach to teaching and the way they motivate your student), and expecting the best from my children. I feel grades are earned and not given. In the Upper School, I am most pleased that questions don't merely require a parroting of the lesson. They always aim to incorporate the "why" and ask the child to think. This is very true in math and science too- where I think it leads to a greater level of understanding. That is more important than getting an A on an exam and feeling overconfident about one's abilities. I feel the teachers are more than accessible for parent and child inquiry and supportive of each student's success. The new athletic facility should help improve that area of the school, which is important to my children. That said, they always have had a good time in their respective sports and the staff is very supportive. Socially, I think the IB program helps diversify Whitby more than other similar schools and helps to better support differences in culture, language, and create more acceptance. My children have had small moments of uncertainy (as most adolescents do), but my experience has been that they have a relatively small amount of "drama" and feel largely confident with their peers. There isn't one "type" at Whitby. Our Head of School is present and supportive and knows all the kids and not just some of the families. I feel he has made a broad impact on cultivating a community at Whitby and helping school pride, outreach, and the overall warmth of the school.

Whitby is a dual philosophy school, encompassing both Montessori and International Baccalaureate programs. It really focuses on a childs self development and self-directed initiative (with guidance) that I think is absolutely outstanding for early learners. It is an extremely international, with many children speaking several languages, and all kids learning Chinese and Spanish at a very early age. Mother tongue classes are also available, free of charge, which are incredibly well organized and taught.

Last modified Whitby School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8