Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted January 21, 2016
Quite a few children lack respect for their peers, the rules, and authority figures without consequence.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted January 21, 2016
The principals, teachers and, aides for the most part ignore disrespect and violence. Self control, respect, and responsibility are not concepts that are taught and enforced.

Posted January 21, 2016
In response to the person complaining about unopened juices being removed from the trash cans (that contain that meals food and styrofoam trays) would you allow your child to throw away unopened juice boxes at home? Now as far as the school...its terrible! It's supposed to be a magnet school yet there does not appear to be any different between the curriculum offered here and other Groton schools. What differences there are, are disappointing. The test scores are lower than every other elementary school in the district. The children are largely poorly behaved. To make matters worse their defiant, disrespectful, and sometimes violent behavior goes ignored and unpunished most of the time. It is disappointing that my child goes to a school were he is shown that horrible behavior is acceptable. This is his home school, I did not choose to send him here. I wish I had put him in the lottery for the multicultural magnet school in new London. To validate my feelings I have even asked those who have worked at different schools through out the district if the worst behaved kids were there, the answer was yes.

Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School 4

Posted April 21, 2014
I think a lot has changed for the better since this school has opened. They have found the right teachers and administration to make this school work. Everyone is so nice and helpful. If there is any concern you can easily talk to the principal or vice principal. I only wish there was more parent involvement .

Posted September 23, 2013
Does your kid go to cathrine Kolnalski and eat breakfast everyday. Well then there's some things you might wanna know then. Due to budget cuts of 2013-2014 year kids might not get breakfast. Kids who take bus might get there last and get a cheap breakfast. I'm a parent who drops my kids off everyday and walk with them to get breakfast. Two weeks ago the last few kids got frozen muffins because they ran out of omelets and last week the last kids it only yogurt for breakfast an I kid you not. And as of today a teacher reached into the garbage and took out a carton of milk and a carton of juice an a box of cereal an told another teacher to put it back because it wasn't opened. This is disgusting.

Posted April 23, 2012
My son went to CKMS for K. His teacher was assigned days before school started. We weren't notified of the change in his teacher until we came to the welcoming lunch. His teacher was inflexible and punative during the school year. My son picked up many bad habits from other kids. His skills were advanced compared to his classmates, when asked if I could send additional work for him to do after he finished what they were doing in class, it was not allowed. When my son started crying one day in class he was sent to the office and written up for "insubordination"! I couldn't believe it. When I called the principal, Mr. Basse, to notify him that I'd be taking my child out of the school, I explained my dissatisfaction and he hung up on me. The teacher then called a child study team meeting to ensure his next teacher would be aware of all of my son's "problems". If I could give this school a 0 instead of 1 star I would. If you have a choice where your child goes to Elementary school, do not choose CKMS!

Posted March 28, 2011
I agree with the last post. My son also went to another school last year and now is at CK. No more vocabulary words, no homework of any value, and the staff treats the kids like they are a bother. If I had another option, my child would not attend this school. I can not believe the lack of education he is getting. I find teachers saying they arn't allowed or haven't yet gotten the cirriculum finalized for teaching the second grade. Are you kidding. When might be a good time to get that done. How many kids are getting a poor education and that is OK because the teachers just haven't gotten it together yet?

Posted April 16, 2010
I find it incredible that the only comments here are good ones! I'm appaulled at the curriculum this school has offered my son since he began going to CKMS. He went to a different school in Groton last year and since the move to this school both the behavior and his education have plummeted! The teacher actually told me she isn't allowed to give them spelling tests or teach them cursive or multiplication tables. I am anything but satisfied with this school and academic rating!

Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School 5

Posted March 30, 2010
My son started Kindergarten here in 2008... Now that we must move our only regret for leaving Groton is this school! The staff is extreemly helpful and understanding. They focus on the child and his learning experience. They have excellent programs. We had to apply for the lottery to get him in as it was out of our district, The school in our district was a turnstyle for military kids, not too much focus on the specific educational needs for your child. CKMS will teach your child healthy choices and they have wellness walks and give your child a great sense of self esteem in the process making being healthy fun. This school has set the bar for what we will expect for our sons education. I hope we can find something just as wonderful in our new location.

Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School 5

Posted March 12, 2010
I am take admition for my daughter and i make right dicition because she learing very well she is improve her self becuse her teacher and school

500 Poquonnock Rd, Groton, CT  06340
Last modified Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top