Posted July 09, 2013
Wow! I'm shocked at the low school rating. This school is top notch. When we moved here from California, our daughter hadn't been taught fractions yet, at Charles Barnum, they were already in review on the subject. I feared that my daughter was going to struggle, but she had individualized help to get her caught up. It was quick and my daughter had no complaints. in just a couple months she was on par with the rest of her incredibly tiny class of 19. She went here for 2 years and the only issue I can think of is the pick/up drop/off situation and the lack of ac, but none of the schools here have it. Tons of parents are super involved (over-involved in my opinion) and there is zero tolerance for bullying. We were super happy.

Charles Barnum School 1

Posted March 16, 2012
my child just transfered to this school-since this schools ranking is higher than the other Groton schools i wanted my child to attend this school- then over time i noticed that this school favors girls and they react on hear say from the students- i've called the school a couple of times to tell them my concerns and i'm rushed off the phone by Mrs. Nelson or over talked by his teacher-if you have a daughter this school is the one for you. also my child was called a derogatory name which i addressed to the school and they did nothing about it- a staff member said something that hurt my child feelings i called the school and was told that"that doesn't sound like something she would say" are you kidding me you didn't even ask the staff member before even responding-this school is not all that it's cracked upto be!

Charles Barnum School 4

Posted March 11, 2012
My daughter has been attending Charles Barnum for the last year in the integrated PreK program after being diagnosed with developmental delays last year. From the moment you walk into the school, you immediately feel welcome. The office staff has always been very friendly and knowledgeable and actually remembers which child is yours. My daughter's teachers and aides have been wonderful. So kind, patient, and encouraging which has been reflected in how well my daughter has made considerable improvement with her delays. My only minor annoyance is setting up some of her special education services. The school has one occupational therapist assigned to two schools in the district, but is only at CB once a week. I had to stay on top of the process for having my daughter evaluated for her OT. That, I feel, is fairly typical for special education services at most schools. Other than that, I highly recommend this school for anyone moving into the area!

Charles Barnum School 4

Posted February 25, 2012
My daughter is a second grader at this school. Charles Barnum is arguably the best elementary school in the district. The staff are excellent and they really care about the students. I know that Great Schools rates CB at 6, but I have looked at the raw data from the test scores and they are comparable to Mary Morrison, which is rated at 7. CB does better at reading and writing, MM does better at math. My only problem is with the district as a whole. I feel that they don't have any programs for exceptional students, so sometimes my daughter isn't being challenged because she's forced to wait for the other students to catch up to her.

Posted December 18, 2010
My son entered this school at age 3 right after the Birth to Three program under a developmental delay. Everyone has been amazing. Every single person we encountered was helpful, encouraging, and genuinely cared about the children. The school to home communication was excellent and parent involvement was great and encouraged. My son is now 6 with PDD and Anxiety and the support they have given me I will never forget. BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!

Posted March 21, 2010

Posted February 06, 2010
My son has been in the integrated preschool for 3 years they have worked wonders with him he suffers from adhd and they have helped him to be at the same level as the other kids his age this school is the best in Groton

Posted January 03, 2010
This has been the best school for my daughters so far! we are a Navy family and this was my oldest daughter's third school. the teachers and Staff are so welcoming, and parent involvement is encouraged. We are so sad to be leaving such a wonderful school.

Posted September 11, 2008
Charles barnum & the staff is the best elementary school a parent could ever hope for. We were so very blessed to have had our son attend charles barnum.

Posted January 13, 2008

Charles Barnum School
68 Briar Hill Rd, Groton, CT  06340
Last modified Charles Barnum School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Charles Barnum School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top