Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are communicative with the parents and want the parents to be involved in their child's learning and in the school itself.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school focuses on encouraging and promoting positive behaviors. The children are recognized for their positive behaviors. If they act inappropriately appropriate consequences are given.

Charles Barnum is surrounded by Navy housing, and they make a wonderful effort to involve the families and make each child feel welcome. From the principal to the teachers, to the front office staff, I have had a wonderful experience having both of my children in the school from kindergarten to 5th grade. The staff is responsive to parents' concerns and will work with the children individually to ensure they are achieving at the best of their abilities. Chorus and band and other extra activities offered helped my children to have an enjoyable school year as well. I highly recommend this school!

Unfortunately, this school has become a breeding ground for bullying. This is something that has really gotten out of hand an has not been addressed properly. The front office isn't really welcoming at all. No matter how happy you may walk in there, they (mainly the lady with the short black hair, bangs and wears glasses, she seems to be the leader and everyone just tiptoes around her) blatantly let you know that they don't want to "deal" with you. It wasn't like this last year. I don't know what happened. It's really disheartening to feel unwelcome at the front door.

Wow! I'm shocked at the low school rating. This school is top notch. When we moved here from California, our daughter hadn't been taught fractions yet, at Charles Barnum, they were already in review on the subject. I feared that my daughter was going to struggle, but she had individualized help to get her caught up. It was quick and my daughter had no complaints. in just a couple months she was on par with the rest of her incredibly tiny class of 19. She went here for 2 years and the only issue I can think of is the pick/up drop/off situation and the lack of ac, but none of the schools here have it. Tons of parents are super involved (over-involved in my opinion) and there is zero tolerance for bullying. We were super happy.

I started going to Charles Barnum when I was in 2nd grade.... The place was amazing to go to as a navy brat.Summer fun was held there,NCYFL Football practice,Movies on weekends w/ pop corn, games.. Mr grimes, Mrs cyder..wow...the memories.R.I.P. Mr cunnigham will never forget when he passed the best (custodian)... Mrs. Appacelli too..! Charles Barnum is full of nice memories and I learned alot in this school

my child just transfered to this school-since this schools ranking is higher than the other Groton schools i wanted my child to attend this school- then over time i noticed that this school favors girls and they react on hear say from the students- i've called the school a couple of times to tell them my concerns and i'm rushed off the phone by Mrs. Nelson or over talked by his teacher-if you have a daughter this school is the one for you. also my child was called a derogatory name which i addressed to the school and they did nothing about it- a staff member said something that hurt my child feelings i called the school and was told that"that doesn't sound like something she would say" are you kidding me you didn't even ask the staff member before even responding-this school is not all that it's cracked upto be!

My daughter has been attending Charles Barnum for the last year in the integrated PreK program after being diagnosed with developmental delays last year. From the moment you walk into the school, you immediately feel welcome. The office staff has always been very friendly and knowledgeable and actually remembers which child is yours. My daughter's teachers and aides have been wonderful. So kind, patient, and encouraging which has been reflected in how well my daughter has made considerable improvement with her delays. My only minor annoyance is setting up some of her special education services. The school has one occupational therapist assigned to two schools in the district, but is only at CB once a week. I had to stay on top of the process for having my daughter evaluated for her OT. That, I feel, is fairly typical for special education services at most schools. Other than that, I highly recommend this school for anyone moving into the area!

My daughter is a second grader at this school. Charles Barnum is arguably the best elementary school in the district. The staff are excellent and they really care about the students. I know that Great Schools rates CB at 6, but I have looked at the raw data from the test scores and they are comparable to Mary Morrison, which is rated at 7. CB does better at reading and writing, MM does better at math. My only problem is with the district as a whole. I feel that they don't have any programs for exceptional students, so sometimes my daughter isn't being challenged because she's forced to wait for the other students to catch up to her.

My son entered this school at age 3 right after the Birth to Three program under a developmental delay. Everyone has been amazing. Every single person we encountered was helpful, encouraging, and genuinely cared about the children. The school to home communication was excellent and parent involvement was great and encouraged. My son is now 6 with PDD and Anxiety and the support they have given me I will never forget. BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!

Last modified Charles Barnum School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.