Mary Morrisson School

Public | PK-5 | 373 students

Posted April 24, 2013

I completely agree with the previous post! My children are genuinely excited to go to school and I think it has a great deal to do with these teachers. I'm so proud of their growth and I couldn't be happier with the environment that this staff is providing for our family. Thank you to the principal and these energetic and highly dedicated teachers!

Posted March 25, 2013

Both my daughter (2nd grade) and son (3rd grade) are attending MM and I have to say that I'm grateful for the education that they've received. The teachers at this school are highly dedicated and my child truly looks forward to going to school each and every day. Both of my kids have grown both academically and socially and I have the staff and the wonderful principal to thank.

Posted October 28, 2012

This is our second year at MM and I like all the improvements I'm seeing. Our first year did not go as well as I had expected but the Principal personally worked with me and made sure all my concerns were addressed. Our second year at MM is going much better. My daughter is improving and blossoming into a child who looks forward to going to school every day. I like the team approach at the school and it's working for us. Thank you MM!!

Posted October 26, 2012

My son goes to MM and I have to say that I'm absolutely thrilled with the direction that the principal and the staff are taking the school and my child's education. The principal seems to bringing in a wealth of new teachers to add to many of the already established educators and I feel as if it's creating a great blend. I've heard so many positive things about the new teachers over the past few years and I feel as if the school is truly on the rise. Very proud to be apart of the MM community!

Posted June 5, 2012

This was the best school I ever attended, but no more. I was excited when we knew we were returning to Groton and my kids would be able to go to Mary Morrisson. The old principle Mr Leonard loved the kids and knew all of us. His replacement hates people and does not even try to do her job. The new teachers don't teach, they just read lessons to the class. So disappointing.

Posted December 14, 2011

This school is behind the time educational power curve, but tries to implement high educational standards. My son who attended MM last year in 5th grade was told he was behind and needed remedial help. But when my son was going to school in Kentucky he was an above average student, good grades and high standard test scores. We brought that up at a principle-parent-teacher confrences, they said that he good performance in KY was irrelevant. My son also went from loving school in KY to hating school at MM. This is definatly not a good school for military children, they deserve better. The Pre-K situation there is unsat, I never heard of a school putting childrens names in a hat, and picking who can attend Pre-K. What I dislike is that they use average pre-K kids to teach special needs kids. This holds up a childs development and cheats the special needs kids from the attentino they should be getting from the teaching staff. I hope I get PCS'd soon to get my kid out of this school.

Posted June 22, 2011

This was our children's first year at this school and hopefully the last. We are currently looking to move out of this area. I was told MM was the best of the three elementary schools located in military housing. It's very sad that military children are taught at a school with such low teaching standards. No grades (why 4th and 5th graders are still getting S's, I's and N's is beyond me) no award systems. They don't want kids to be left out but how isn't that leaving out the ones who are excelling? I had a child bored out of his/her mind b/c the children in his/her grade were doing stuff he/she did the following year at a different school. I have talked to several parents who have now decided to homeschool or leave the area. Children who move away and are being pulled back a grade level. Please be proactive in your child's education. Don't accept mediocracy when it comes to learning for your children. I really hope the school turns around as a new principal is taking over but it's going to take a lot more to turn MM around.

Posted June 17, 2011

Yikes, that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of this school. I couldn't believe the lack of teacher/parent communication. Also, if your child brings home math homework and has no examples to look back on it's because they don't allow students to take books home in fear they will lose them. I even offered to pay for a book. A principal should have the best interest of the students but instead this principal only looks out for the best interests of her teachers. If your child is way ahead there are no resources for them so they just get put in a group and read amongst themselves until they are bored with school. If your child is behind....they just sort of get left behind. There really needs to be a reassessment of some teachers teaching at Mary Morrisson. If you are so miserable maybe it's time to retire or switch careers. It's beneficial to the students if they enjoy their teachers and the teachers enjoy the students.

Posted January 1, 2011

I attended first through fifth here and I LOVED it. If it's anything like it was back then, it should be a great school. This is the ONLY school that I remember well (I'm a navy brat, of course) and my teachers were so caring and nurturing. I don't think I'd be at the level I'm at today if I hadn't had them. I don't think any of my teachers are still there today, or the principal, or any of the staff members I hung out with. But the mission and core values were clear back then. I can't imagine they would change much.

Posted January 16, 2010

My son is learning things at MM in 3rd grade that he learned in K-2nd back in NY.. They are WAY behind.. The principal is definately not fair to everyone as well as the teachers. Everything has to be 'their way' or they arent happy.. Parent suggestions are not even taken into consideration or are shot down immediately.. I pulled my son out and enrolled him elsewhere because with as far behind as Mary Morrisson is, I dont want to move (we are military) somewhere else that was where NY was, and have him fall behind.. Very bad, wouldnt of picked it for him if I knew any better....

Posted May 9, 2009

I love this school!! The teachers are great!!! I have moved in the middle of the year to a different school and state and miss the warmth and growth my child had here.

Posted December 6, 2008

This school does not teach children at all levels. The principle is not fair to all students and if you have a choice do not pick it for your children.

Posted September 17, 2008

My children have attended Mary Morrisson for over 3 years now, and we love it! The teachers and staff are very warm and caring, and my children have thrived here. My oldest has gone from struggling through math class to testing ahead of her class! I couldn't ask for a better elementary for my kids.

Posted March 28, 2008

Parent interaction in the classroom is discouraged. I feel that it is important to be involved and MM does not support the parents with parent involvement. The PTO is a joke!

Posted January 30, 2008

I believe that the quality of the teachers interaction not only with the students, but with the parents surpasses all other Elementary schools in the district. This is not the only school my child has attended in this school district.

Posted September 4, 2007

Mary Morrisson is a wonderful school. I had 2 kids that attended the school over a two and half year period. They love the school and were sad to have to move. The staff is dedicated. The teachers love their job

Posted July 4, 2006

this school is horrible.my daughter went there for only 2 weeks before i had to pull her out and put her in private school.she was so bored because they were teaching her things that she had learned two years ago at another school.she dreaded going to school those two weeks,which was not her personality type.mary morrison,no way!

Posted December 15, 2004

My child went to kindergarden here. He absolutely loved his time at this school. There is a focus on making sure that the children recieve the attention that they need to succeed. Safety of the children is another major concern for the school. The staff in the office is the best I have ever seen. When you walk in to the school you just know that your child will be safe and cared for. I cant say enough good things about this school!

Posted July 21, 2004

I am not a parent of this school. I actually attended this school. I remember the school being great.The principal was very dedicated to the school and the kids. I cannot remember his name. I would like say Lenard,but not sure. I had a good time and experience at this school
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

In 2012-2013 Connecticut used the Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) to test students' skills in reading, writing and math in grades 3 through 8, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The CMT is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Connecticut.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 82% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 88% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students88%

Not economically disadvantaged70%
Students without disabilities73%
Proficient in English64%
Scale: % level 3, 4, or 5

The different student groups are identified by the Connecticut Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students88%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 38%N/A35%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

154 Toll Gate St