Posted April 24, 2013
I completely agree with the previous post! My children are genuinely excited to go to school and I think it has a great deal to do with these teachers. I'm so proud of their growth and I couldn't be happier with the environment that this staff is providing for our family. Thank you to the principal and these energetic and highly dedicated teachers!

Posted March 25, 2013
Both my daughter (2nd grade) and son (3rd grade) are attending MM and I have to say that I'm grateful for the education that they've received. The teachers at this school are highly dedicated and my child truly looks forward to going to school each and every day. Both of my kids have grown both academically and socially and I have the staff and the wonderful principal to thank.

Mary Morrisson School 4

Posted October 28, 2012
This is our second year at MM and I like all the improvements I'm seeing. Our first year did not go as well as I had expected but the Principal personally worked with me and made sure all my concerns were addressed. Our second year at MM is going much better. My daughter is improving and blossoming into a child who looks forward to going to school every day. I like the team approach at the school and it's working for us. Thank you MM!!

Posted October 26, 2012
My son goes to MM and I have to say that I'm absolutely thrilled with the direction that the principal and the staff are taking the school and my child's education. The principal seems to bringing in a wealth of new teachers to add to many of the already established educators and I feel as if it's creating a great blend. I've heard so many positive things about the new teachers over the past few years and I feel as if the school is truly on the rise. Very proud to be apart of the MM community!

Posted June 05, 2012
This was the best school I ever attended, but no more. I was excited when we knew we were returning to Groton and my kids would be able to go to Mary Morrisson. The old principle Mr Leonard loved the kids and knew all of us. His replacement hates people and does not even try to do her job. The new teachers don't teach, they just read lessons to the class. So disappointing.

Mary Morrisson School 2

Posted December 14, 2011
This school is behind the time educational power curve, but tries to implement high educational standards. My son who attended MM last year in 5th grade was told he was behind and needed remedial help. But when my son was going to school in Kentucky he was an above average student, good grades and high standard test scores. We brought that up at a principle-parent-teacher confrences, they said that he good performance in KY was irrelevant. My son also went from loving school in KY to hating school at MM. This is definatly not a good school for military children, they deserve better. The Pre-K situation there is unsat, I never heard of a school putting childrens names in a hat, and picking who can attend Pre-K. What I dislike is that they use average pre-K kids to teach special needs kids. This holds up a childs development and cheats the special needs kids from the attentino they should be getting from the teaching staff. I hope I get PCS'd soon to get my kid out of this school.

Posted June 22, 2011
This was our children's first year at this school and hopefully the last. We are currently looking to move out of this area. I was told MM was the best of the three elementary schools located in military housing. It's very sad that military children are taught at a school with such low teaching standards. No grades (why 4th and 5th graders are still getting S's, I's and N's is beyond me) no award systems. They don't want kids to be left out but how isn't that leaving out the ones who are excelling? I had a child bored out of his/her mind b/c the children in his/her grade were doing stuff he/she did the following year at a different school. I have talked to several parents who have now decided to homeschool or leave the area. Children who move away and are being pulled back a grade level. Please be proactive in your child's education. Don't accept mediocracy when it comes to learning for your children. I really hope the school turns around as a new principal is taking over but it's going to take a lot more to turn MM around.

Posted June 17, 2011
Yikes, that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of this school. I couldn't believe the lack of teacher/parent communication. Also, if your child brings home math homework and has no examples to look back on it's because they don't allow students to take books home in fear they will lose them. I even offered to pay for a book. A principal should have the best interest of the students but instead this principal only looks out for the best interests of her teachers. If your child is way ahead there are no resources for them so they just get put in a group and read amongst themselves until they are bored with school. If your child is behind....they just sort of get left behind. There really needs to be a reassessment of some teachers teaching at Mary Morrisson. If you are so miserable maybe it's time to retire or switch careers. It's beneficial to the students if they enjoy their teachers and the teachers enjoy the students.

Posted January 01, 2011
I attended first through fifth here and I LOVED it. If it's anything like it was back then, it should be a great school. This is the ONLY school that I remember well (I'm a navy brat, of course) and my teachers were so caring and nurturing. I don't think I'd be at the level I'm at today if I hadn't had them. I don't think any of my teachers are still there today, or the principal, or any of the staff members I hung out with. But the mission and core values were clear back then. I can't imagine they would change much.

Posted February 20, 2010

Mary Morrisson School
154 Toll Gate St, Groton, CT  06340
Last modified Mary Morrisson School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary Morrisson School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top