Hamden, CT

Spring Glen School 1

Posted December 02, 2014
meh, i was in this school a good while, and it wasn't a good experience. the teachers would rather yell at a student than teach them, and the lunch aids would yell at a student yelling "flubber nuggets" than actually "aiding" lunch. wow spg, thanks for teaching me a valuable lesson in life. and that is, not to say "flubber nugget" infront of a grown person.

Posted September 07, 2013
I lovers Spring Glen!! I attended it from k until 6 and created so many wonderful memories! It is a great school with wonderful teachers who work hard to give children a good start in the future! I recommend it to families who want their kids to have a good education, make new friends and learn from wonderful teachers!!!

Posted January 31, 2012
Spring Glen has great teachers, principal, and a clean, new building and playground. The PTA is very involved (though constantly asking for parents to send in money via cash/check. There is a lot of pressure to contribute financially.) HOWEVER, my primary complaint is with the curriculum. The "new" math program is a joke. It is very lacking, and many parents complain about it, in fact I know of several parents who pay to send their kids on Saturdays to Eli Whitney for math enrichment so that their child will actually learn something! Additionally, in comparing the math, science, and spelling curriculum at Spring Glen to elementaries in Wallingford, Cheshire, North Haven, and even other elementaries in Hamden, Spring Glen appears to be teaching about 1 grade below level for each grade. K-3 has been all that my 2 children have experienced thus far, and in those grades the lack of computer lab time/skills is obvious, and the lack of penmanship (in K & 1st) and cursive instruction is discouraging. Improve the curriculum and add more FREE extracurriculars, and this school has the potential to be fantastic!

Posted January 31, 2012
Desperately needs a better curriculum to give our kids a stronger start! There is no challenge, no foreign language, no gifted program! Though Hamden as a whole is a less academic district, so maybe the poor curriculum at Spring Glen simply reflects that.

Posted January 20, 2012
Our experience with Spring Glen has been mixed. The building and playground are clean, new, and welcoming. The principle seems very personable and completely committed to the school. The PTA is very strong, and there is a good sense of community there. The two things that brought my rating down were the secretary (difficult to work with and not at all welcoming or friendly), and I have been disappointed with the teacher. It feels like she's been using the same material for 30 years. My child is advanced and hasn't gotten any kind of environment to continue to develop that. And for the first 3 months, the only reports of school that I heard back were about the teacher yelling, the playground helpers yelling, and the lunch monitors yelling. My child felt scared in an environment I was hoping would be safe for her. It seems to be a school of incredible potential, and I really think it is heading in a fabulous direction. I have high hopes for the future.

Spring Glen School 2

Posted January 10, 2012
I give this school a below average score. After experiencing kindergarten and first grade we decided to move our child to catholic school and we are not catholic. Our overall experience was that if your child is natural student, he will do fine here. But if he needs any additional attention beyond what's offered to the class, you will have problems. The tutors they provide are mainly computer software games. They teachers tended to segregate students in class with how at tentative or distracting they are which sounds like it makes sense but all you gain is ignoring the problem and a group of kids who end up distracting each other all day. My child was not encouraged to raise hand in class to better understand directions, if you didn't hear it the first time, you better listen the next time. The teachers all make you veal like "if it weren't for parents, teaching would be so easy!" Our expectations I would say we're reasonable from the start and this school severely disappointed.

Posted March 20, 2011
Excelleng teachers, strong leadership (the new principal is child/parent focused), and involved parents. Great facilties including a brand new playground. I highly recommend Spring Glen School.

Spring Glen School 0

Posted November 06, 2009
Teachers and principal are great!!

Spring Glen School 0

Posted November 06, 2009
It's a wonderful school with a loving group of parents who put their heart and soul into the school. They perform the arduous tasks necessary to make not only the school, but the community a wonderful place for the development of children physically and mentally.

Posted November 06, 2009
Wonderful teachers and parents, great facilities and an amazing new principal - we are happy that our daughter is doing great in kindergarten and will have 5 more years in this school!

Spring Glen School
1908 Whitney Ave, Hamden, CT  06517
(203) 407-2045
Last modified Spring Glen School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spring Glen School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top