Hamden, CT

Posted October 30, 2014
WIMS mom for 6years. I shopped (went to visit 16 schools) public private parochial and christian) before we opted to try for WINTERGREEN. Best decision we could have made. foreign languages & violin ..but above and beyond he particiaptes in program called the ENRICHMENT PROGRAM. Unlike TAG programs this program isnt exclusively for those who SEEM to be perfect or excell at everything. It encourages and enriches. Not every child who participates is a A student ! Its more about the efforts put forth than your report card letters. It teaches children to think and experience outside on a grander global level. Recent past activities include interacting w/ State government , interviewng broadway actors/actresses, meeting w/ designers and creating for the PEZ co., visting a 5 star hotel to give in put what would make it more child friendly.. para professionals interact with all K thru 8. Technology is outstanding.3rd graders giving power point presentations, 5th graders creating, developing,researching and presenting. This is the best of both worlds there is so much diversity in the staffing , the students and locations from which the children come from. Wintergreen you rock!

Posted November 14, 2013
I attended Wintergreen for 4 years as I am shocked of the things people have said about it I can only fix that by giving a great review when I started here in first grade I was excited about the engaging courses offered like science, and enrichment. Most kids were in kindergarten together but they welcomed so fast and I made friends in an instinct. The teachers are great helpful and caring. But I at times in struggled in math but not to the point to be removed for math and I didn't really get the help I needed and at times was picked on and called cruel labels because I loved art and my best friend was a girl they said I was fat and gay and I had no friends. Set aside that this a great great school where your child's abilities can be found and highlighted throughout learning. And teachers are very disciplinal and helped me with my bullying problems. It's truly an experience like no other . My favorite teachers here were Ms.Virgo and Ms.Rossamondo

Posted November 03, 2013
This is an amazing school. Both of my children attend. They have been able to establish awesome friendships with children from other districts, making the whole "Interdistrict" magnet really into a community-like school. The teachers are fabulous. The newly appointed Principal is a visionary and the school is certainly, clearly in the right hands. School scores are increasing yearly, and the level of reading that I have seen with regards to my own children is excellent. My fifth grader is reading at High School level and came into the school, as a reluctant, non-reader. Enrichment program is the best I have seen. It starts in kindergarten and provides out of this world learning adventures and trips. The instrumental lessons are great, and the affordability of having a violin program is amazing for the young kids, of which my child is a part of as well. They also Broadcast live every morning: like a true news station. The Arts are really emphasized unlike in other schools where they are the first to be cut. If your child gets into the school, you should be thrilled. Wintergreen is really a community and they do care about kids.

Posted November 03, 2013
Have you seen the publicity this school gets? There are great opportunities for children and great guest speakers from all over working with the Wintergreen students. It is a GREAT SCHOOL.

Posted November 03, 2013
I felt inclined to write a review of Wintergreen not as a parent nor member of the staff, yet as a friend of the community. A friend that has been fortunate enough to have met some of the most wonderful children that attended this school as well as the incredible staff that exudes contagious passion for the growth and development of each child that walks through their doors. The principal at Wintergreen truly cares about the well being of its members - both staff and children - and embraces the uniqueness of each individual. If the opportunity arises for your child to attend Wintergreen Interdistrict Magnet School, i highly recommend it!

Posted October 31, 2013
Being a parent of a child at Wintergreen is so exciting! Everyday our child comes home with something new and fun today share with us. Our child is constantly being challenged in order to highlight her strongest qualities while fine tuning areas where she is lacking. In addition to the incredible teachers Wintergreen employs, the principle is amazing! Her style and attitude is inspiring and calming! She knows how to handle situations drama free! I am thankful my child has the privilege to learn from these amazing people!

Posted October 23, 2013
I am a parent of a wonderful child at Wintergreen. She is very bright, curious, and is always enthusiastic about going to school and reporting what she learned as soon as she comes home. The staff and teachers are of the highest quality. I always feel safe sending my daughter to school each day. The new Principal is spectacular. She is knowledgable and is aware of all that is new in Education, and that is not easy. Since she arrived last year, the atmosphere in the school has become very joyful and it is simply the best place for children to be educated and for families to be affiliated. I highly recommend Wintergreen to families who value learning, mutual respect and who are looking for a family centered school that offers a top notch education.

Posted October 22, 2013
There is always a friendly, welcoming atmosphere at Wintergreen and I find that the kids are more enthusiastic about going to this school. The teachers, in my experience, have mostly all been warm and very committed to the students. The principal seems to be everywhere at once, very involved and always looking out for the kids welfare. The students and parents love her! This is a very forward-looking school, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Wintergreen Interdistrict Magnet School 1

Posted October 12, 2013
The new principal is a detriment to the school. She is careless, forgetful, and clueless about what is going on behind classroom doors. She "acts" as if she an omnipotent "yogi", but in reality she is a menopausal hormonal, tactless principal. She relies solely on one person to give her any info o what's going on in the school. She is beyond overwhelmed as this is only her third year with her administrative certificate.

Wintergreen Interdistrict Magnet School 3

Posted February 28, 2013
School is resting on its history.This was a desired facility for high achieving children.Now it has become a mess. The highest achieving students are leaving in droves. Some even willing to go to their neighborhood public school because this place limits what children can achieve and doesnt encourage them to go beyond the medium. "They teach to the "CORE" and only test 2 levels about medium grade.A facade ... a violin program, an enrichment program, foreign language program... These are titles; the programs are minimal.They are not developing anything. There is much adue about nothing. What program meets once per week for six weeks and expects to develope something in a child in 30 min? What program pulls children out of core classes to participate in extra curriculm activies? Great trips dont make a great school. Why extend the school year when learning actually stops 3 to 4 weeks before classes end? 3 priciples in 4 years. Claims to support family however offers no sibling preference for addmissions. Bullying has been such an increasing problem that a half dozen victims have left the school due to its inability to address it effectively. I wouldnt let dog eat school lunch

Wintergreen Interdistrict Magnet School
670 Wintergreen Ave, Hamden, CT  06514
Last modified Wintergreen Interdistrict Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wintergreen Interdistrict Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top