No rating

St Augustine School

Private | PK-8

Living in Hartford

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $132,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted September 27, 2013

I am a eight grader who does not like the school do to the fact that they fire many people or they sudenly (spelled it wrong maybe I don't care) leave the school I have been going there since kindergarden and the school got more poor in 2006 there were good feild trips and fun actives to do field day is the same now every year since I was in sixth the principle is rude and doesn't understand students they have low staff so they have to combine classes I am forced to sign contracts or I will get a bad grade in band the student council president is voted by teachers favortism not how nice or smart the person just by how popular you the school only has one sport which is basket ball there is a lot of bullying in the school in which the teachers see but don't do anything about in all don't try to send you child here

Posted August 25, 2013

St Augustine school was my school in #### (can't tell what year) in this school they say bad words and mean things, all the teacher are nice and theres no bullying (sometings). All the students atleast 4 to 8 talk about dating and kissing mostly 4 and 5. but it is a great school. The students are not rude to visitors and the education of you students are very good so i would say this is a OK school and i would like to inprove more education and less money.I heard that there cleaning the window yes.

Posted November 14, 2010

St. Augustine School has been a mainstay fixture in Hartford for K-8 education since 1927. The principal, teachers and support staff are all extremely dedicated to the children that attend. St. Augustine Alumni are very supportive and continue to donate their time, money and other support to continue the fine traditions that have existed for so many years. Enrollment and parental involvement continue to be problems. It takes more than simply bringing your child to school and paying the tuition. All parents need to become more actively involved in their child's education experience. This school could (and should) thrive........spread the word, get involved, show the community and the children how much we care! Parents, spread the word, have people come and visit the school, meet the principal, enroll their child.........this wonderful school needs to remain what it has been in the past, an important stepping stone in the education of the future leaders of our community.

Posted March 17, 2010

I love this school because it's a school that won't let you down....
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 1, 2010

I recently pulled my child out of Saint Augustine School in Hartford, CT and put the child in a semi suburban public school to find out he was more than a full year behind his grade level in everything when he was skating threw grades at St. Augustine. I would not recommend the school for anything other that shutting down.

Posted March 18, 2009

It's taken a little time, but the school is a much happier place. My kids love the new principal because she pays attention to them and treats them with respect. She comes in early and stays late to talk to parents and her door is always open. The PTO is doing fun things again like the basketball tourneyment, and if more parents help, everyone will benefit. Us parents need to pay our tuition on time so our school will get better.

Posted October 15, 2008

For the parent that posted saturday october 11,2008. I want to meantion, first off all the principal is not a nice or understanding principal. Never there to see the children go up to their classrooms. Never has the time to meet one on one conference with the parent regarding any problem with the child. Always have a attitude with parents when ask to see her for 5 minutes. Second people that works there are rude, front desk are always with attitude, they treat you like Dirt. Nobody there knows how to treat parent with respect and honestly. Third no nurse fulltime. When your child gets hurt or has to give them medication are the teachers allow and certified to give the right medication to the children in need. Talk about raising money they should start by using the money tuition for fixing the windows and also inside of the school.

Posted October 11, 2008

I'm a bit dissappointed in some of the parents and students poor reviews of this school I attened Saint Augustine's from 1-8 grade -- number one this school is not meant for your kids to excel in extra cirrcular activities ie basketball, baseball they are thre to learn and maybe if you actually took the time to go to a PTO and suggest ways that the school could earn money for these etras you seem to think your kids need instead of fobbing them off things would be different and I support this school by donating time and money Do any of you?????? other then maybe paying your tuition??? A school can only be as good if it has the resources it needs to perform and as for the person who says the kids here are rude maybe you were the rude one first A former student

Posted June 6, 2008

I don't believe any school is excellent. Everyone place has it's flaws. I believe that the staff is doing the best they can with the resources they have. Not all the parents, me included, pay our tuition on time, some not at all. This is a private school struggeling to pay the faculty yet they do not turn their backs on the families they see are committed to the children. I wish they had a better sports program, I wish they had better desk, floors, walls, newer books, etc but the truth of the matter is that they are doing above expectation for me and with what they have. I believe their are some faculty there that can use some MI training (motivational interviewing), I also believe that they can use some other types of training like drug&sex education and the like. I am hopeful to send my kids back!

Posted June 1, 2008

My child has gone to ST. Agustine school since Kindergarten, yes the school needs some cosmetic improvemnets. In order for the school to suceed it needs more parent involement. If you go to the Parents group meetings it is pathetic about 12 parent go to them. There are magnet school but they are all by lottery, your child is not guarentee a spot. This school is the best option if you don't want to send you child to a public school in Hartford. I know from experience that the children at St. Augustine are ahead of public school in education The principal can't do everything by her self, she needs the parents to be more involved. Also, this is not a public school so the city of hartford and state of CT does not help out with money. That is why the school needs more students and more money.

Posted April 9, 2008

As a former student and graduate of St. Augustine School I must say that I loved the school. All my teachers were truly devoted to what they did. Every single one of them loved what they did and especially loved their students. I cannot explain how much they cared about their students. The administration back then was excellent as well. However, now times have changed. Though the teachers remain the same, each kindly devoted to their students, the administration has changed. Currently, things are focused more on money and getting more kids. Everything seems to focused on technology, music, sports, etc. Though those are all great things less emphasis is being put on the basics such as math, science, English, and writing. Still I must say the school is great. It offers a great education and I hope the school is still around when my children are of age.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 6, 2008

This school has improved tremendously! For the past few years it has been struggling to improve and with the new principle everything has changed.I'ts like they built a whole new thing but all they did was improve it!There is a lot of extra curriculum activities for children,media arts,and much much more!Your child does not have to be catholic to attend this school!I recommend this school for anyone as a parent!

Posted September 22, 2007

This school is great and well of course it's the best in hartford! not even a child has a single scratch on them all children are the same and they are tempted to hit but they are taught not to and i don't see anyone hurt!this school has discipline and sorts cheerleading anything thing you can think of. last year there was only 180 now theres about 250! people are seeing ththis schools improvement past the 50 years or so and it shows !

Posted August 18, 2007

Yeah, I'm with the last parent. Everything in that school seems to revolve more around money than education. Why did I let that school shake me down for all that money when there are perfectly fine magnet schools in the area? This place is falling apart and it needs to be buried.

Posted June 5, 2007

Don't waste your money. There are better choices in the area. This school may have been top notch at one time, but no more. The new principal leaves much to be desired, is not focused and is inconsistent. The school is scrambling to save itself, but it's too late. Not a good example of a Catholic school.

Posted February 23, 2007

This the second year my child has been a student at St. Augustine. I am pleased with the results I am seeing in my son. His reading has significantly improved and I am so glad that they have the 'old school' parochial structure which has produced many a upstanding citizen. For the parents who bash the school for lack of extra curricular activities - please come to the Parent Group meeting once in a while. The Girls Scouts wanted to start a up a troop but needs parent volunteers. This is not a public school awashed with your tax dollars to spend freely. They are trying, but enrollment is down because the parents in the community can not afford 1 much less 3 children in private school. When indiscipline is the biggest problem in Public Schools why bash what has been producing results for decades - Success in Achievement Tests!

Posted February 14, 2007

This is my first year of being at Saint Augustine school. I am the Junior Varsity boy's basketball coach and I have had the pleasure of interacting with some of the best students and parents that I have encountered since I have been caoching. Saint Augustine from my experience takes education very serious due too the way they discipline student/athletes for not working hard in the classroom as well as on the playing field or court. I will be returinig next season as coach, due too my experience this year.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted August 29, 2006

I think this school is worse than some public schools. I am the parent of one son who graduated in 2005. I think that I wasted my money for all those years I sent him there. I thought that he did not receive a good education and that the athletic program was pathetic. I thought that he was not motivated to succeed enough and that the staff was not all that friendly with the children or very skilled for their job. My son did not receive the help he needed.

Posted December 29, 2005

I would like to start out by saying that i feel ST. Augustine school is a great school. I know this first hand because I graduated from this school. I would like to say people in the community and alumni to help in saving this great school. This school instills some quality values into the children and youth who attend. The teachers who although may seem to be hard actually prepare you to become succesfull in what you do after you leave the school. This is one of the great schools left around which is rare these days. PLease help in saving the great school to see first hand send your children there or send a donation. Thank for your time and support!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted November 25, 2005

I attended St.Augustine from grades K-5. Overall I did not enjoy my experience there. The discipline was poor. Also the students weren't very nice (in some cases RUDE). I thought their curriculum was ok but that totally changed when I started going to my current school. I was REALLY behind (not a good feeling). There were almost no extra curricular activities. I did not like the uniforms because they were very old fashioned. The girls wore jumpers/skirts the winter was really cold. The only time we ever wore shorts was in the summer time. There was literally no parent/teacher communication. I don't ever remember their being a PTO . The worst memory for me would be the bathrooms. I had to crawl out numerous times (BAD MEMORY). I stronly suggest a different school!
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Hartford

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

20 Clifford Street