Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My kids love this school and we believe they are getting a great college prep education. The current budget climate is very challenging but the administration has been doing a good job maintaining the core curriculum despite crazy magnet lottery rules that do nothing to sustain ongoing enrollment. Wish more parents would step up to help keep the school operating at the same high standard it has always enjoyed.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

The teachers here are effective but like in all schools, there's at least one teacher that I believe should go but the rest of them are phenomenal.

Amount of homework: Agree

The workload only becomes overbearing if a student doesn't manage their time well. I'm a student that had been at Classical since grade 6 and I'm now a Senior, the workload is challenging but not overbearing. Classical has 40 minutes at the end of each school day where a wise student could do homework, get extra help from teachers or work on a project.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Honesty, integrity and fairness are three qualities that are deeply ingrained into the Classical Community. From 6th grade they teach students the importance of these qualities.

(Scroll to the bottom if you wish to avoid my long review and get to what's most important to me) I give Classical Magnet 5 stars because looking back now, as a Senior, I can see I had and I'm still having a very pleasant experience here. Classical gave me the opportunity to create documentaries about our democracy through their partnership with the great Nonprofit CivicLifeProject. This experience gave me the opportunity to interview Governor Dan Malloy, Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman, Speaker of the House Sharkey and many more members of the General Assmebly. After creating two documentaries with CivicLifeProject, they have now hired me. Classical has given me the opportunity to serve within the Hartford District and at the State level, so I may advocate for students just like myself. The teachers here truly care about the students but they are human and have emotions like everyone else. One great thing is that the teachers here do not hold grudges against students that may have gave them a hard time in the past. In middle school I wasn't the most well behaved student but now my 8th grade teacher is helping me get into my dream college. The guidance counselors are amazing here. They take the time to get to know each of their students and check up with them throughout the school year. (Most important part) Classical turns students into leaders. Our community pushes students to stand tall and march to their own drum. I can say honestly, Classical has turned me into a leader and taught me how to think critically and express my thoughts effectively. Classical gives the students so many opportunities but it's up to the students to take those opportunities.

Amount of homework: no rating

Although some teachers will murder the students with the amount of homework they give. Some teachers do give the right amount of homework.

Develops character: Neutral

Although our school motto is "Learn not for school but for life" and honesty, integrity and fairness is very important for the students. The truth is not really. Maybe some students are honest and great. But, the teachers really focus more on teaching you what you need to know now, rather than these important skills for life.

I have been at this school since 6th grade. It was great until Mr.Sullivan left. Then we had random principles and finally our current Principal Dr.Gordon, who is a horrible Principle. Our Funds are not being spent wisely. There are so many kids who make it so much harder for the ones who want to learn, and they seem to have increased after Mr.Sullivan left. As for the teachers, the middle School teachers are great. But, may of the high school teachers need to go back to college and realize that they are still teaching children and teenagers. Some teachers are the worst at communicating with the parents and really some of the teachers do not care if the students fail. As a student all I want is to leave this school. I hope my opinion changes next year. I promise to keep tabs on the school when the new year is over. I just can't keep my mouth shut.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Some Teachers at this school are good. But, many of them are horrible. Some are very fast and some are awful at communicating with the parents and some of the teachers are just total a**holes to the students for no reason. And a lot of them don't care about whether the students fail or not.

This school definitlety needs to find it's direction. The school has gone down over the last 2yrs and I think has drastically changed since the original principal Left. The administrators seem to be on a power trip instead of keeping the outstanding values the school held before. out of the 3 yrs my daugher attended that school the last 2 were the worst and the main reason she is no longer there. everybody has their own experience mines just wasn't a good one.

Last modified Classical Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.