Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Student

Posted December 13, 2015
I want to say thank you to Ms. Perez, Ms. Roach, Mr. Tucker, Mr. Hoberman, Mr. Pezzulo and Dr. Sirman for providing me with a pleasant Classical experience.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted December 13, 2015
The teachers here are effective but like in all schools, there's at least one teacher that I believe should go but the rest of them are phenomenal.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted December 13, 2015
The workload only becomes overbearing if a student doesn't manage their time well. I'm a student that had been at Classical since grade 6 and I'm now a Senior, the workload is challenging but not overbearing. Classical has 40 minutes at the end of each school day where a wise student could do homework, get extra help from teachers or work on a project.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted December 13, 2015
This school definitely pushes students to stand strong in the face of adversity and to advocate for not only yourself but your peers.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted December 13, 2015
Respect/Dignitas is one of the three pillars of core values that Classical prides itself on.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted December 13, 2015
Classical isn't just a school, but due to its small size, it's a family. Students every year participate in several annual events to help the community. A turkey drive is done every year to give turkeys and other thanksgiving dinner essentials to families in need. Classical is the host of Kevin's Run in honor of a former student of Classical that developed leukemia. The proceeds from the race find a scholarship in Kevin's honor to a senior at Classical. Students regularly easier awareness about youth homelessness, various diseases and issues that plague our society.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 13, 2015
Honesty, integrity and fairness are three qualities that are deeply ingrained into the Classical Community. From 6th grade they teach students the importance of these qualities.

Classical Magnet School 5

Posted December 13, 2015
(Scroll to the bottom if you wish to avoid my long review and get to what's most important to me) I give Classical Magnet 5 stars because looking back now, as a Senior, I can see I had and I'm still having a very pleasant experience here. Classical gave me the opportunity to create documentaries about our democracy through their partnership with the great Nonprofit CivicLifeProject. This experience gave me the opportunity to interview Governor Dan Malloy, Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman, Speaker of the House Sharkey and many more members of the General Assmebly. After creating two documentaries with CivicLifeProject, they have now hired me. Classical has given me the opportunity to serve within the Hartford District and at the State level, so I may advocate for students just like myself. The teachers here truly care about the students but they are human and have emotions like everyone else. One great thing is that the teachers here do not hold grudges against students that may have gave them a hard time in the past. In middle school I wasn't the most well behaved student but now my 8th grade teacher is helping me get into my dream college. The guidance counselors are amazing here. They take the time to get to know each of their students and check up with them throughout the school year. (Most important part) Classical turns students into leaders. Our community pushes students to stand tall and march to their own drum. I can say honestly, Classical has turned me into a leader and taught me how to think critically and express my thoughts effectively. Classical gives the students so many opportunities but it's up to the students to take those opportunities.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted July 24, 2015
Although some teachers will murder the students with the amount of homework they give. Some teachers do give the right amount of homework.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted July 24, 2015
No, thanks to some of the teachers the students feel dumb if they do not get something fast enough. I used to be like that. But, this school just made me give up.

55 Forest St, Hartford, CT  06105
Last modified Classical Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.