Posted January 30, 2014
My two daughters (grades 5 & 8) are in their second year. We chose Capital Prep over our suburban school and have been very happy. The girls love their school. We are thrilled with the high expectations (and don't mind the strict rules, including uniform adherence, which is made very clear to all parents and students). The gifted program is amazing, for kids who need to be challenged academically, having access to the Johns Hopkins CTY program has been wonderful. Most of the teachers and other faculty have been great and the kids have enjoyed their music and art classes and also their dance and ski clubs. No school is perfect, but we have been very satisfied with Capital Prep overall.

Posted December 23, 2013
The intentions of this schools seem positive but its not. It is important to have a staff that understands curriculum. It does not seem to be the case in this school. The atmosphere is somewhat hostile, I do believe that every child should be entitled to an atmosphere that focuses on discipline and instruction. But "What happens when the staff seems uneasy and afraid?" It usually takes away from the joy of teaching, which is floating through the halls of this school. This school has a huge turnaround with staff and students alike. People want to praise individuals who talk a good game but some of tthem who gave this dude the golden crown need to really look at what's going on in this school. Weaver, Bulkeley and Hartford Public were known for dealing with at risk students. At this school, the only way a defiant student can stay at this school-he or she must be athletic. There is so much emphasis on the accomplishments of their track team. Sorry to say, Weaver High was undefeated in track and field for many years. As far as going to college, several students in the former high schools exceeded his college graduates.

Posted October 02, 2013
I regret that I did not do more research on this school prior to sending my child here. The Board Of Education allows mayhem to take place even after presenting solid evidence of the horrific things that go on there. The Senior class is whittled down to a handful of students to give the appearance of 100% graduation rate. My child's transcripts were so erroneous, and I had to bring it to the headmaster's attention! DON'T SEND YOUR CHILD HERE!! Smoke and mirrors!!!!!

Capital Preparatory Magnet School 4

Posted June 16, 2013
My son started at Capital Prep in the year 2012/2013 in 3rd grade. I chose to have him enrolled here after he was successful in the lottery and after visiting the school for a drop in, for a PTO meeting, and for the scheduled open house. I felt that it would have structure, demanding excellence, and diversity of student body and faculty. It has delivered on all counts. The thing that I discovered that I did not know when I came in was the opportunities he has on a regular basis to safely work his independence (from his parents) and make key decisions. This is related to the variety of enrichment activities that are offered by teachers and parents. Although some have complained about the consequence of standing for 20 minutes to eat lunch for uniform infractions, I must say that my son did it and staunchly refused to go to school without full uniform from that point on; the right behavior resulted. What I also commend C-Prep on is how they reward extra curricula experiences at home, with family, in the community - I support the fact that learning occurs in and out of the classroom. In just a few weeks, he starts 4th grade and the best thing is that he feels like he fits.

Posted March 07, 2013
I am the parent of former Capital Prep students. and I regret not having looked for reviews of the principal Steve Perry and this school. After several months of red flags from pervasive, poor communication to parents to poorly implemented programs and curricula to severely strict uniform policies to uncaring responses to discipline issues to just not having created a warm, nurturing environment for young kids, we were finally just biding our time until the end of the school year to escape and find new options for our children. Unfortunately we left sooner! With just 2 months of school left in the school year, we have withdrawn our daughters (ages 8 and 5) after having my 5 year old be harshly disciplined for having a missing belt on that day. Without my notice, was required to eat standing! Even more outrageous is that I have yet to get any response from the Board of Ed regarding my concern over this harsh discipline. Don't send your kids here. You will regret it and it's not worth the trauma to your kids. We need to stop allowing these fame-seeking, fake reformers to ruin our kids and schools! This principal is worse than the teachers and unions he complains about!

Posted August 04, 2012
My "caucasian" girls from the subburbs love this school. They have never been happier. They are growing up learning that every individual has something to contribute to the learning community. They are also learning social justice and will grow up trying to improve the society in which they live. The curriculum is challenging, the excellent teachers genuinely care about their students, and the principal is a strong leader. Dr. Perry loves ALL of his students and is determined to see that each and every one of them meets their fullest potential. He speaks the truth, and sometimes the truth may be hard to hear for some parents. In the end though, all he wants is what is best for all of our children.

Posted April 27, 2012
looks like a great school. is it a safe school? how many caucasuans per class room?

Posted August 01, 2011
We love this school, in our first open house when leaving my daugher said this is the school for me, this is where I am going to graduate high shcool from. The best shcool in CT

Posted November 08, 2010
Capital Prep has been the best experience for my children from the suburbs. The teachers really give them 1 on 1 attention and the faculty is amazing and so accommodating. I am so lucky my kids got into Capital Prep. They are extremely prepared for Ivy League-Caliber colleges and their friends (other students at Capital Prep) are so nice and mature, they fit in great!

Capital Preparatory Magnet School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
I love Capital Prep because the Principal there works very hard and the majority of the kids attend college when finished

Capital Preparatory Magnet School
950 Main St, Hartford, CT  06103
Last modified Capital Preparatory Magnet School is a Public school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Capital Preparatory Magnet School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top