Bad
Good

Being a military family, we have had exposure to different school systems in different states. This school, while it outperforms some of its equals in other districts in the area, is stuck in the dark ages. The website is useless, the communication is poor, and the principle doesn't follow up when warranted. In order to find out your assigned teachers you literally have to drive to the school to read a list posted on a window. The testing results at the lower levels are left to the interpretation of the teacher. One teacher we had last year was in a career track program so there was a substitute for literally 1/3 of the year. It was rediculous. While it is the lesser of the evils when it comes to the Groton district or especially New London, it is by no means a 7 when compared to say, a Virginia lvl 7 school. It's really, just ok.

Her 1st year in public school, cant say it was a great year but it showed her that there is so much more access when it comes to getting the help that she needed and also more "freedom" as far as non-catholic. We didnt find out until 3rd grade that she had ADHD, reason she had fell behind on her math and reading. With an IEP in place she had received services which i believe could have been a tad better with communication, a lot of parents who have an IEP in place for their children don't always fully understand their rights as parents, I had done my homework on this and requested a 2nd follow-up meeting where i had pretty much silenced the committee with the knowledge i had learned on my own. Educators throw a lot of the "technobabble" and being a parent or ordinary person we do not fully understand. She will be entering 4th grade but summer school is required to get her caught up to where she needs to be.

As a parent of Ledyard center I find the teachers toy be excellent. There is a lot of parental involvement in fact parents are encouraged to get involved. T he principal is outstanding. She in fact does know each and every student by name. They also have an excellent special program.(highly supportive) However I did not rate the school high on other factors. I feel that often times when a child has social difficulties it is over looked or even ignored. Being a parent of a special needs child at the school my child is often bullied without a resolution. Also I feel that it is important for children to socialize during lunch time with other peers. This is impossible because the children eat in their own classroom. So being able to easily meet other students from other classes is impossible. Some teachers will allow a lunch invite from other classes but in my experience this rarely happens. Also they do not have a hot lunch program. They have meals shipped in and reheated in heater boxes. So although I think the staff is terrific there are a few things that need to change.

We have been very happy at LCS. We love the small-town environment. The teachers are warm & encouraging. The principal knows each child by name and is highly visible. There is a ton of parent involvement, and parents are strongly welcomed and encouraged to be involved in whatever way they can. Reading resources are plentiful, and my son was identified early in Kindergarten and given the extra help he needed with reading. I'll be sad to leave when my husband is transferred.

As newcomers to CT we were, of course, very concerned about the quality of school our 4th gr daughter would attend-especially w/ her LD's. We researched many schools and interviewed LCS before moving from MI. The principal is warm, accessible, and professional. Especially at the beginning and end of the school day she is everywhere, greeting kids and parents alike - not hidden in her office busy w/ other things. Our daughter's classroom, resource room, and specials teachers are also 1st rate - truly caring, creative, and professional. Discipline is firm w/ no tolerance for bullying or 'shenanigans' so the classroom atmosphere is appropriately conducive to learning. The children are respectful and orderly. Add in a dose of practical application, and a sprinkling of fun and you have a great learning experience! Parental involvement is strong and encouraged. Our daughter loves her new school and we strongly endorse this great place!

Last modified Ledyard Center School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.