No rating

Grove School

Private | 7-12 | 104 students

Living in Madison

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $409,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

Posted September 23, 2014

Great School!!!! I have referred many families to Grove and have not been disappointed. Grove effectively educates and treats students with emotional issues where other school have failed them. I find them to be a trustworthy, honest and transparent program, and I encourage anyone who is searching for this type of schools to see them for themselves! I am a former teacher and administrator and now I am an educational consultant helping struggling students find great schools to help them and their families. I pay a lot of attention to web sites like this because it bothers me when so few people can end up with a powerful voice to parents who are looking to find help with their child. I believe often times that when you see bad reviews posted by former teachers it is usually sour grapes or someone struggling with their own life issues. If you really want to get to know a program you should go see it and get a sense of the place yourself.

Posted September 23, 2014

Amazing place- helpful staff, nice facilities and a warm and caring environment. My daughter has been a student at Grove School for a year and we are so pleased with her progress. Prior to her entrance into Grove, we struggled and really lost hope in her future. We finally feel like we have our daughter back and our family is reuniting. There are not many places where you can find solid, college prep academics with the level of therapy and support that Grove students get. We feel lucky to be a part of this community.

Posted September 23, 2014

This is an excellent school for anyone looking to get help with their son or daughter. Their educational approach is sophisticated and they have a great set of staff who actually follow through with the commitments they make instead of just making empty promises. We had poor experiences with other programs but are very happy with this one. We have finally found a place that cares about the work they do as much as we care about our child.

Posted September 23, 2014

All these reviews posted in the last 24-48 Hrs have been by Grove School officials trying to bolster the reputation of this school on Great Schools. Please disregard them because they are not from real students or parents who are attending/attended Grove School.

Posted September 22, 2014

As a current teacher, I cannot believe the recent reviews. My sense is that those who are generally complainers will likely find something to complain about. Yes, we put in a lot of time here at Grove. This is exactly what I expected when I was hired. The impact that I am making on students has made the time I put in very worthwhile. Hearing the students speak at graduation puts it all into perspective. I got into teaching to change lives and I absolutely feel that being at Grove encourages that change. I am so appreciative that I was selected to work here. Besides the kids, I also find that the staff are high caliber, professional people. I really do not understand the recent posts. Personally, I try to stay away from those draining, negative people. Those people are better served changing their career path. Teaching kids with special needs is not for everyone.

Posted September 22, 2014

My son attended Grove for two years and I can't say enough about how positive our experience was. Grove was the only school we found where are son could keep pace academically with his peers in public school while getting the high level of clinical attention he was in need of. As parents, we built great relationships with our son's adviser and the other faculty members and we trusted them to help guide our son and help advise us on how to help our son cope with complicated clinical issues. Grove helped our son and our family get back on track; I can't thank them enough..

Posted September 18, 2014

I am horrified to read some of the recent negative reviews of Grove (that appear to be written by the same unhappy person). Grove School is a caring, nurturing, sophisticated place that cares about the students, staff and facilities. I would encourage anyone who is considering the school to come see it and experience it for yourself. As a staff member, I am proud to work for such an amazing place where relationships develop, strengths are honored, insight is gained and problems are addressed. I would encourage the negative reviewer to seek their own therapy and help, as clearly they have some unresolved issues.

Posted August 22, 2014

Having been "on the inside" some years ago, this place has not changed much for the better. Staff morale is poor and it is very clear from your first interaction this is a "for profit" school -- your child's best interests are not at heart here. Many of the teaching staff are qualified, but burn out quickly from the long hours and poor pay (upward of 18+ hour days with minimal breaks). Likewise, few actually have a Special Ed background as there are more attractive jobs out there, meaning many needy students are stacked in classes with a teacher still "wet behind the ears" who has received minimal training. Professional development and communication are poor, often pushing "cover your tracks" over "do the right thing." Even if they say they don't get physical or demeaning toward students, trust me: they do. I worked there for 3+ years and was considered a "veteran" among the staff. There's a very good reason for that. The majority of staff your child will interact with daily here mean very well, but they are not in good hands while attending Grove School with the level of incompetence and nepotism at the top. Your money is best spent elsewhere.

Posted August 22, 2014

Grove does not know if it is a treatment center or a boarding school, and performs poorly in either area. Your child will rarely get due time from their advisor or treatment team as the level of understaffing here results in several administrators advising nearly a dozen students and taking on several management roles (all of which are difficult to do in a 8 hour day. Many of the administrators burn out as quickly as the teachers). The facilities, frankly, "suck." Students' dorms are old and provide few amenities while the staff apartments are equally as poor, with some staff not even having a private bathroom or kitchen. Stealing and property damage are also common in the dorms with little action being done about either. Classroom space is cramped. And during "free time" students may wander campus unsupervised so long as they "check in," which is arbitrary as several students use this time to enter unsupervised areas of campus. Students have had sex in the bathrooms and the backwoods here without any staff knowing. The campus also sits next to I-95, where a student walked off campus while not being supervised and was hit by a car three years ago. Avoid this place.

Posted August 14, 2014

The Grove School has many marks of one of the great scams in education. I worked at Grove for two years, and saw just shy of 60 (!) staff leave the school. They babble about 'relationships', but how can kids form relationships if the teachers are constantly leaving, dissatisfied with the organization (or lack thereof)? Staff work crazy hours - and are constantly stressed, which leads to bad interactions. We're talking an alternating schedule of 60-96 hours a week, but are only paid for 40. A bunch of the students regress after leaving the structure of Grove - having not internalized it. And the tuition is astronomically frightening - over $100,000 a year to attend. Even if your child is paid for by your school district or state, most of the other kids are very spoiled brats. Not that the parents care - Grove is a place for many uncaring parents to dump their children who don't want to deal with their difficult behaviors. Communication is poor - the left hand never knows what the right is doing, and again, speaking as a staff, the facilities are pretty atrocious (two laundry machines for 24 dorm staff, one of which has been broken for 2+ years, paper-thin walls, etc.). Avoid it.

Posted October 18, 2013

My son has been at the Grove school for three years. He is a complicated kid with Bipolar disorder and has failed in other academic environments. The Grove school has been a real plus for my son. He struggles academically, socially and emotionally. The school has intensive resources to work with my son holistically. More important than the independent disciplines that Grove has on campus, they have an integrative approach to the well being of the student. As parents we are very engaged with our son and school. The school knows in the importance of families and works really hard to maintain the continuity between the parents and the student. It is fair to say that without being in a intensive therapeutic environment, our son would probably fail in a traditional school setting. If you have a complex teen such as ours, and you can either get your district to pay for the tuition, or pay for it yourselves, you should definitely consider this comprehensive supportive environment. They are good people at the Grove School, and our son is definitely worth the investment. We are proud parents and supporters of the Grove School.

Posted May 7, 2013

Grove School has been a savior for our family and our child. I am saddened to read some of other reviews from people who areclearly unhappy because that it exactly opposite from our experience. We did a lot of research before selecting Grove and took our time in meeting with the admissions team before we decided to enroll our child. Communication is important to us, as we live on the west coast and we have found that our child's treatment team is responsive, caring and concerned and keeps us involved every step of the way. We have had some disagreements or questions along the way, but we talk them through and work as a team in the interest of our child. The academics are rigorous without being cut-throat. Our child is finally going to school- writing papers and engaging in learning. We can't say enough about the people who make up the community. They are truly dedicated professionals- take your time to get to know them and work with them and you will not be disappointed.

Posted April 20, 2013

Maybe if the child exactly fits the their profile it may be of some help just as even a blind squirrel will find an acorn sometimes. Otherwise, there are no redeeming qualities to this school. You would hope for the integrated approach that is touted on the website, the reality is you have to fight to get them to talk. Ask them if they have weekly meetings to discuss each child and their progress. Ask three different people the same question on something that is not "party line" and see how many answers you get. Try and determine who is really in charge of the any case. Try and find out who supervises the Therapy. You will reach your own conclusions.

Posted March 7, 2013

See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review.

Posted February 23, 2013

A school in which I have experienced poor administrative management. The lack of communication between advisers is obvious. A policy of "no" for everything than shows a lack of responsiveness rather engagement. The advisers are terrified about taking decisions and refer constantly to the director decisions. My experience is a policy that generates frustration instead of positive message to students. A school than did not met my expectation and that fails to help my child to progress.

Posted January 12, 2013

Advice to Grove School: Adopt recent approaches that have empirical support and dump the mysticism and the 1950s approach to therapy-for those educated in 195=40s and 50's retire! Involve families and help ensure that the child in the school is not further separated from the family. Educate family members, parents and siblings, so there is a chance the family can cope better with the problems Help parents realistically plan for the future.

Posted January 7, 2013

Everyone who sees my son, is completely impressed with the progress he's made at Grove in the past 18 months. He has friends and self-awareness.

Posted December 15, 2012

I have to wonder if the post from Dec. 7 is even about Grove School in Madison, CT since they do not offer polo or scuba diving as activities. I'm not sure where they would have gotten that from.

Posted November 26, 2012

As a parent of a child that needs something different, something out of the ordinary, I found that there are many people, organizations, and institutions that will gladly take my money and leave my child and me in the same place we started. Grove School was one of them.

Posted July 17, 2012

As a former student, I would highly recommend the Grove School. I attended the Grove School from 2004 to 2006 and I can say with great confidence that it had a huge impact on my life. I made lasting friendships, was involved in several extra curricular activities and really was able to find myself and my true purpose in this world. As for the academic comments, Grove is definitely geared more towards treating its students emotional issues but that is inevitable as most students were not even able to stay in school for a full day without having a meltdown or being to sit still in class. As for myself, I left Grove, went to a public high school, then to a great college and to a prestigious masters program in new York city. Currently, I have my master's degree at 23 years old so it is possible. With that being said, Grove definitely has a different affect on each individual person, but it had a lasting and profound impact on my life.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special ed
  • Special eduction
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

175 Copse Road