Grove School

Private | 7-12 | 99 students

Living in Madison

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $409,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,650.

Sweep tile

Posted October 18, 2013

My son has been at the Grove school for three years. He is a complicated kid with Bipolar disorder and has failed in other academic environments. The Grove school has been a real plus for my son. He struggles academically, socially and emotionally. The school has intensive resources to work with my son holistically. More important than the independent disciplines that Grove has on campus, they have an integrative approach to the well being of the student. As parents we are very engaged with our son and school. The school knows in the importance of families and works really hard to maintain the continuity between the parents and the student. It is fair to say that without being in a intensive therapeutic environment, our son would probably fail in a traditional school setting. If you have a complex teen such as ours, and you can either get your district to pay for the tuition, or pay for it yourselves, you should definitely consider this comprehensive supportive environment. They are good people at the Grove School, and our son is definitely worth the investment. We are proud parents and supporters of the Grove School.

Posted May 7, 2013

Grove School has been a savior for our family and our child. I am saddened to read some of other reviews from people who areclearly unhappy because that it exactly opposite from our experience. We did a lot of research before selecting Grove and took our time in meeting with the admissions team before we decided to enroll our child. Communication is important to us, as we live on the west coast and we have found that our child's treatment team is responsive, caring and concerned and keeps us involved every step of the way. We have had some disagreements or questions along the way, but we talk them through and work as a team in the interest of our child. The academics are rigorous without being cut-throat. Our child is finally going to school- writing papers and engaging in learning. We can't say enough about the people who make up the community. They are truly dedicated professionals- take your time to get to know them and work with them and you will not be disappointed.

Posted April 20, 2013

Maybe if the child exactly fits the their profile it may be of some help just as even a blind squirrel will find an acorn sometimes. Otherwise, there are no redeeming qualities to this school. You would hope for the integrated approach that is touted on the website, the reality is you have to fight to get them to talk. Ask them if they have weekly meetings to discuss each child and their progress. Ask three different people the same question on something that is not "party line" and see how many answers you get. Try and determine who is really in charge of the any case. Try and find out who supervises the Therapy. You will reach your own conclusions.

Posted March 7, 2013

See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review. See Yelp for my review.

Posted February 23, 2013

A school in which I have experienced poor administrative management. The lack of communication between advisers is obvious. A policy of "no" for everything than shows a lack of responsiveness rather engagement. The advisers are terrified about taking decisions and refer constantly to the director decisions. My experience is a policy that generates frustration instead of positive message to students. A school than did not met my expectation and that fails to help my child to progress.

Posted January 12, 2013

Advice to Grove School: Adopt recent approaches that have empirical support and dump the mysticism and the 1950s approach to therapy-for those educated in 195=40s and 50's retire! Involve families and help ensure that the child in the school is not further separated from the family. Educate family members, parents and siblings, so there is a chance the family can cope better with the problems Help parents realistically plan for the future.

Posted January 7, 2013

Everyone who sees my son, is completely impressed with the progress he's made at Grove in the past 18 months. He has friends and self-awareness.

Posted December 15, 2012

I have to wonder if the post from Dec. 7 is even about Grove School in Madison, CT since they do not offer polo or scuba diving as activities. I'm not sure where they would have gotten that from.

Posted November 26, 2012

As a parent of a child that needs something different, something out of the ordinary, I found that there are many people, organizations, and institutions that will gladly take my money and leave my child and me in the same place we started. Grove School was one of them.

Posted July 17, 2012

As a former student, I would highly recommend the Grove School. I attended the Grove School from 2004 to 2006 and I can say with great confidence that it had a huge impact on my life. I made lasting friendships, was involved in several extra curricular activities and really was able to find myself and my true purpose in this world. As for the academic comments, Grove is definitely geared more towards treating its students emotional issues but that is inevitable as most students were not even able to stay in school for a full day without having a meltdown or being to sit still in class. As for myself, I left Grove, went to a public high school, then to a great college and to a prestigious masters program in new York city. Currently, I have my master's degree at 23 years old so it is possible. With that being said, Grove definitely has a different affect on each individual person, but it had a lasting and profound impact on my life.

Posted June 6, 2012

I have a child at this school and I am disappointed with the level of availability of staff for emergent situations. This is a therapeutic boarding school and I wrongfully assumed they would be well equipped to handle emergent situations. During one of the school breaks we had a situation with our son. The emergency staff essentially said the school was on break and if we were concerned to bring our son to the ER. Even though they knew our son well, they did not want to enter into this decision making with us saying "we had to act in the best interest of our child" --whichbus why we were calling to behind with. It's certainly a legally protective position but not very helpful for us or our child. The staff feel like a small click rather than a working part of the parent team. They may simply be understaffed, bur i found communication extremely difficult . Only after we got our son into a "real" therapeutic school, did I appreciate how horribly they failed us.

Posted May 31, 2012

I am currently a student at The Grove School and am graduating this August. I have attended the school since July 2009 and have made tremendous progress both academically and emotionally. I have made lasting relationships that I will continue even after I leave this year with both staff and students. This fall I am headed off to college to study psychology and one day want to return to Grove as a therapist as it has made a incredible impact on me and I wish to help other adolescents like myself.

Posted May 31, 2012

I am a current student here at the Grove school in Madison. I arrived in April of 2011 not wanting anything to do with the community, therapeutic aspect or academics however shortly after arriving I felt like I was finally making progress. With the individual attention from staff and teachers that every student receives it is easy for children to feel at home and confident in their work here at Grove. As a least restrictive school, the students receive the help that they need but also the space to grow and learn themselves. Grove is a place where students can develop into mature young adults while still working on themselves and their academics. Grove is an inviting therapeutic school that makes its students feel at home and confident about their work both inside the classroom and outside in therapy.

Posted May 29, 2012

I am a student at the Grove School. This school is great for many different people. I have worried in the past about teachers being to hard on students, but here the staff are very familiar with all the pupils. Grove has a main focus on academics, but therapy is a close second. The staff are flexible with what you are working through outside of school, and can appreciate your struggles. Grove is not the perfect place for everyone, but for most it is very helpful. Grove has helped me become more comfortable with myself, and in social situations. I am very thankful to all of the staff members for helping me when i need it, and letting me grow when I don't.

Posted May 29, 2012

I came to Grove straight after spending 2 months in a wilderness program and it was the perfect next step for me. After wilderness, I was preparing to return to my competitive high school where I felt pressured and depressed. However, my parents chose to send me to Grove, and it was the perfect transition. The academics are not rigorous at ALL compared to my old school, so I have come to the conclusion that Grove is not exactly a "pre-college" school. It is more of a place to continue getting an education as you work on yourself. Grove doesn't teach you much in terms of college prep, but it DOES teach you about yourself. Therefore, I have found the programs helpful. If you are coming here, you need to have a good attitude, because you get what you put into it.

Posted May 15, 2012

I am a student here at Grove School. Grove School has helped me in various ways. The staff here are extremely supportive and are very encouraging. The staff try to accommodate to each individual's needs and they try to help us in every way they can.

Posted May 5, 2012

i attend the grove school currently and i am sad to say that it doesnt really live up to the hype. the academic cirriculum is weak, the activities aspect of the grove school is a complete joke. some of the upper adminastrators are really snoody and rude. the kids are complete jerks.and the place is a complete dump. the food is absaloutely putrid trust me im a student going here. so with that said. think long and hard before making the desision to come to the grove school!

Posted May 3, 2012

The staff of the school are manipulative, dishonest, even cruel at times. The food is horrendous, and largely the therapy is anything but therapeutic.

Posted April 23, 2012

I attended Grove 71-72. In those days it was a boys school. We we're a rebellious crew then to then they were rebellious times. Grove was not a one size fits all place nor was it ever meant to be. The school and it's philospohy was tailored around helping the individual. We came to Grove from situations that dysfunction had brought most of us looking to remedy. Progress was measured by regaining trust and learning skills social and academic. Not altogether an easy road for any of us as I remember. Grove staff was empathetic professional and caring. The world then and the world now is not that much different Grove is an equal opportunity school. Growth and change can be difficult Grove provides a environment that provides for reflection for goal setting and new beginnings.

Posted January 7, 2012

My child currently attends the Grove School and I am extremely pleased with all aspects of the program. Staff are incredibly dedicated, patient and committed to the students. Communication between the residential, therapeutic and educational staff is excellent and my child's advisor keeps me apprised of everything that is going on. The owners are very engaged with the students and parents and have created a warm, welcoming environment. Educators tailor the curriculum to each child's unique needs and keep trying new things until they find what works. They have an incredible array of clubs, activities and sports so that every student becomes engaged in extracurriculars that they enjoy. My child has not been easy and has challenged Grove's staff but they have been unwaveringly professional and patient. Most important, my child really likes Grove and feels accepted by classmates and supported by staff.

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special ed
  • Special eduction
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

175 Copse Rd