Posted October 12, 2014
After the influx of five-star reviews (presumably by Grove School staff), my review was removed. Considering how defensive some of the posts below are, and how honest I was, it would not be a surprise if someone inappropriately reported mine in an attempt to maintain the school's reputation. Instead of reading these one star reviews and trying to fix the issues addressed, Grove pretends that they're a godsent. I think that says a lot.
7 people found this helpful

Posted September 23, 2014
Great School!!!! I have referred many families to Grove and have not been disappointed. Grove effectively educates and treats students with emotional issues where other school have failed them. I find them to be a trustworthy, honest and transparent program, and I encourage anyone who is searching for this type of schools to see them for themselves! I am a former teacher and administrator and now I am an educational consultant helping struggling students find great schools to help them and their families. I pay a lot of attention to web sites like this because it bothers me when so few people can end up with a powerful voice to parents who are looking to find help with their child. I believe often times that when you see bad reviews posted by former teachers it is usually sour grapes or someone struggling with their own life issues. If you really want to get to know a program you should go see it and get a sense of the place yourself.

Posted September 23, 2014
Amazing place- helpful staff, nice facilities and a warm and caring environment. My daughter has been a student at Grove School for a year and we are so pleased with her progress. Prior to her entrance into Grove, we struggled and really lost hope in her future. We finally feel like we have our daughter back and our family is reuniting. There are not many places where you can find solid, college prep academics with the level of therapy and support that Grove students get. We feel lucky to be a part of this community.

Posted September 23, 2014
This is an excellent school for anyone looking to get help with their son or daughter. Their educational approach is sophisticated and they have a great set of staff who actually follow through with the commitments they make instead of just making empty promises. We had poor experiences with other programs but are very happy with this one. We have finally found a place that cares about the work they do as much as we care about our child.

Posted September 23, 2014
All these reviews posted in the last 24-48 Hrs have been by Grove School officials trying to bolster the reputation of this school on Great Schools. Please disregard them because they are not from real students or parents who are attending/attended Grove School.
7 people found this helpful

Posted September 22, 2014
As a current teacher, I cannot believe the recent reviews. My sense is that those who are generally complainers will likely find something to complain about. Yes, we put in a lot of time here at Grove. This is exactly what I expected when I was hired. The impact that I am making on students has made the time I put in very worthwhile. Hearing the students speak at graduation puts it all into perspective. I got into teaching to change lives and I absolutely feel that being at Grove encourages that change. I am so appreciative that I was selected to work here. Besides the kids, I also find that the staff are high caliber, professional people. I really do not understand the recent posts. Personally, I try to stay away from those draining, negative people. Those people are better served changing their career path. Teaching kids with special needs is not for everyone.

Posted September 22, 2014
My son attended Grove for two years and I can't say enough about how positive our experience was. Grove was the only school we found where are son could keep pace academically with his peers in public school while getting the high level of clinical attention he was in need of. As parents, we built great relationships with our son's adviser and the other faculty members and we trusted them to help guide our son and help advise us on how to help our son cope with complicated clinical issues. Grove helped our son and our family get back on track; I can't thank them enough..

Posted September 18, 2014
I am horrified to read some of the recent negative reviews of Grove (that appear to be written by the same unhappy person). Grove School is a caring, nurturing, sophisticated place that cares about the students, staff and facilities. I would encourage anyone who is considering the school to come see it and experience it for yourself. As a staff member, I am proud to work for such an amazing place where relationships develop, strengths are honored, insight is gained and problems are addressed. I would encourage the negative reviewer to seek their own therapy and help, as clearly they have some unresolved issues.

Posted August 22, 2014
Having been "on the inside" some years ago, this place has not changed much for the better. Staff morale is poor and it is very clear from your first interaction this is a "for profit" school -- your child's best interests are not at heart here. Many of the teaching staff are qualified, but burn out quickly from the long hours and poor pay (upward of 18+ hour days with minimal breaks). Likewise, few actually have a Special Ed background as there are more attractive jobs out there, meaning many needy students are stacked in classes with a teacher still "wet behind the ears" who has received minimal training. Professional development and communication are poor, often pushing "cover your tracks" over "do the right thing." Even if they say they don't get physical or demeaning toward students, trust me: they do. I worked there for 3+ years and was considered a "veteran" among the staff. There's a very good reason for that. The majority of staff your child will interact with daily here mean very well, but they are not in good hands while attending Grove School with the level of incompetence and nepotism at the top. Your money is best spent elsewhere.
6 people found this helpful

Posted August 22, 2014
Grove does not know if it is a treatment center or a boarding school, and performs poorly in either area. Your child will rarely get due time from their advisor or treatment team as the level of understaffing here results in several administrators advising nearly a dozen students and taking on several management roles (all of which are difficult to do in a 8 hour day. Many of the administrators burn out as quickly as the teachers). The facilities, frankly, "suck." Students' dorms are old and provide few amenities while the staff apartments are equally as poor, with some staff not even having a private bathroom or kitchen. Stealing and property damage are also common in the dorms with little action being done about either. Classroom space is cramped. And during "free time" students may wander campus unsupervised so long as they "check in," which is arbitrary as several students use this time to enter unsupervised areas of campus. Students have had sex in the bathrooms and the backwoods here without any staff knowing. The campus also sits next to I-95, where a student walked off campus while not being supervised and was hit by a car three years ago. Avoid this place.
6 people found this helpful