Manchester, CT

Posted November 16, 2014
St. James has provided the small class size and structure we felt our child needed at the point of entering Kindergarten. He continues to blossom academically and socially as he is moving through the primary grades. The availability of before and aftercare has been very helpful to us as working parents. Communication from school to home has been consistent and teachers have been responsive when we have had questions about the classroom. The curriculum exceeds expectations of the Common Core and the students are all required to write cursive!

Posted November 14, 2014
I currently have two children attending St. James, grades 5 and 2. My children are very happy at the school and strive for success everyday. While I truly believe you can achieve an excellent education in the public school system, the difference at St. James is that there is a strong sense of community. My children are taught to be good moral individuals and to respect everyone. This is evident when my children participate in sports within the town and I observe public school children not demonstrating respect or compassion to their teammates. Bullying and disrespect are not tolerated at St. James. For me, it is equally important to raise my children to be respectful as well as provide an excellent academic foundation. St. James provides both.

Posted November 02, 2014
I am very pleased with St. James. My two children, with very different learning styles, have both enjoyed great success and have learned the value of working hard and the value of education. Students come out self motivated and well rounded. The teachers are supportive and fair and almost all carry masters in their fields. I greatly enjoy the lack of common core and the importance of community.

Posted August 30, 2014
My daughter attends St James and is currently in kindergarten. She transferred last year from a public school where she was regressing due to an uncontrollable learning environment. All I can say is WOW and thank God for St James! The difference really is night and day, the teachers are phenomenal, they manage to be kind and compassionate while maintaining order and a healthy learning environment. The whole community is friendly and helpful, there is always someone to help you if you need it. The tuition is very reasonable in my opinion, and as for the fundraisers that is to be expected with a non profit school. I drive quite a distance to get there everyday and many ask me why, but to me it is worth the 30 minute. To know my child (eventually children) will get a superior education while being held to the high social and moral standards that we as a family have set for them is priceless. I cant wait for my son to be old enough to attend so that I can be in the HSA because the parents involved are friendly and welcoming. We would and do recommend this school to anyone who wants to give their child a great educational experience while being held to high moral standards.

Posted June 03, 2014
We are so glad we found Saint James. We initially planned on having our oldest child attend the school for one year while our family transitioned into a new town. Now 4 years later all of our children are enrolled in the school and several of our friends have transferred their children from public schools. The sense of community is the number one thing that comes to mind. As a parent it is important for my children to have a safe, structured learning environment. It is a K-8 school that has tremendous families. The school is very friendly to all and you will find the older students always lend a hand to the younger students. We couldn't imagine a better place to build the foundation for our children's future.

Posted October 16, 2013
My three children all attend Saint James School - grades first, fourth, and seventh. My oldest came into SJS in fourth grade. She was academically far behind after four years in public school. It took her most of the school year to catch up, but the teachers were supportive, and willing to stay after school for her. She is never asked to tutor her fellow students. She is always given work to meet her needs, is challenged and is never bored. She also loves the basketball program which has been an unexpected blessing. My middle child has always been a bit of a dreamer, and can get lost in class. He has been taken out of the classroom for extra tutoring in math, and has received speech services which have helped with his reading. My youngest can be a bit of a discipline problem. His teacher has clear rules, and there are punishments. His teacher says he is now one of the best in class. I wasn't certain if we could afford the tuition, but after having my children shadow at the school for the day, it was clear it was a sacrifice we had to make for them. We do apply for financial aid every year, and there is a well stocked uniform closet to help defray expenses.

Posted August 02, 2013
This year we are starting our 4th year at St. James. We transferred in when my oldest entered 5th grade. Our kids made the transition from single-class-per-grade to two-classes-per-grade much easier than we imagined. The benefits of the larger environment are both academic and social. There is a monthly printed newsletter to keep everyone in the loop, as well as the school website for day to day information and a Facebook page for fun stuff. You will always know what is going on at school! We have no regrets about transferring our kids to St. James. It was the best thing we could have done.

Posted October 26, 2012
This is our first year at St James and I cannot begin to tell you what an amazing experience this has been! It's not just a school, it's a community - my kids' (grades 2 & 3) classmates welcomed them with open arms and helped ease their transition to a new school. We transferred from a smaller parochial school in town and we are blown away with the level of education St James offers. This was what I always expected from a parochial or private school. My 2nd grader is learning techniques for test prep through highlighting and testing! Wow! My 3rd grader is taking Spanish (in addition to our family's native language outside of school) - the instructor has high expectations, but we expect nothing else. The other parents have welcomed us into the community and we can see where the children have learned their compassion. Mrs. Kanute, the principal, greets every child by name in the morning and makes sure they make it safely to the playground. It's wonderful to see her so involved on a personal level. We are happy to see what more is in store for us! :)

Posted March 28, 2011
This is a national Blue Ribbon school, and rightly so. The teachers are wonderful -- very concerned and willing to go out of their way to work with students and parents. There is a very caring atmosphere. It is well equipped and provides and excellent education at all levels. Our child transferred from another school, so we are really aware of the differences.

St James School 3

Posted August 19, 2010
I am giving this school an average rating because I have mixed feelings. The good: strong education, sets high standards for students in areas of academics, civic, personal and moral behavior, supports athletics and the arts. Concerns: Learned through internet search that one of the middle school teachers does not uphold the same personal or moral values expected in this setting. Unfortunately my daughter and her friends found this information on their own. Very upsetting for her to see and for me to try to explain. We love our school, but the school administration needs to be more selective and thorough when hiring staff.

St James School