PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Summary: The St. Mary PreK program is a real gem from all angles! Our Background: We are a dual race, non-Catholic, married physicians with Ivy League educations. We had just returned from living overseas for several years; therefore, English was our daughter s 2nd language, and America was a new experience for her. Staff: The PreK Teacher (now teaching 2nd grade), performed a phenomenal job. The Assistant Teachers were both were very warm, sweet, motherly characters. One is now a PreK teacher while the other still assists. The head of the PreK is also wonderful, and the effort of her vision and leadership has obviously born fruit. All four ladies are special individuals, and they really loved the children. Academics: The workload was surprisingly rigorous, and that is a great thing. Our household was quite busy, so it was an effort to keep up with the daily homework. The benefit is that our daughter learned an enormous amount. Afterwards, we relocated closer to NYC. Our daughter s K at another private school mainly repeated her St. Mary PreK material and her 1st grade has only just started to give homework at an amount comparable to what she had at St. Mary PreK.

We apologize for how our previous post looks regarding St. Mary PreK. Writing and editing is cumbersome on GreatSchools.com Reviews: the length of reviews are limited, typing-display response time is delayed, paragraphs spacing was deleted, and the apostrophes were deleted! In any case, the older students at St. Mary School were also quite well-behaved. For any school that has a large age range, one must be wary of older bullies or bad role models. Given that we are not Catholic and therefore do not attend that parish, our knowledge of the older students is limited to our brief encounters. However, whenever we saw them, the older students were kind, respectful, and well-groomed especially in contrast with their public school counterparts who are involved with illicit drugs at younger and younger ages. As for the little kids in PreK, they were fairly well-behaved, too, for their age group that year. If we had remained longer in Milford, we would have continued to send our children to St. Mary as long as they continued to experience the academic rigor and supportive relationships that we first encountered within the PreK program.

All of my six children go to St. Mary School. The entire administration provides a safe, disciplined, and caring environment for my children to grow in. My two oldest are so prepared for high school and I credit St. Mary School for their success!

my grandchildren attended the school and I am glad they wont be back. the principal is an awful man. he will not handle any problems and is afraid of confrontation. some of the teachers are wonderful, mrs. kiesel, mrs. dunne, mrs. wandelear, . the others need to go to training so they can treat the children with respect .

St Mary School is an awesome school. My daughter started kindergarten this year and we love SMS. The principle is very experienced and sets a family oriented, religious, friendly tone at the school. SMS fosters a community of parents and learning and they strongly encourage parent involvement.

I would definitely not recommend St. Mary School. Years ago, it had a wonderful principal and a good reputation in the community. Now, it has a principal who lacks proper leadership skills, and the enrollment is only half of what it was just 15 years ago. The school will never be good again unless there is a change in the administration. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem likely that that will happen anytime soon.

My older child is in 4th grade and loves his school! He is being challenged by his teachers, loves his friends and never has any complaints. My younger child is in 2nd grade and was recently diagnosed with a learning disorder. Her teachers and the school administrators have been amazing in their response to her challenges! She is going to get more classroom intervention than she would in the public school! I am so pleased and she is so happy!! SMS is going above & beyond for my family!!

SMS provides an excellent learning environment for our daughter. Having arrived from an excellent Pre-K program, we've observed that the administration and teachers are well organized, solid parental/student communications and the kids are involved with the community. Best of all, it provides a Catholic tradition that is sorely needed in this world.

We couldn't be happier with our decision to send our daughter to St. Mary's. Very good academically with a very strong sense of community with parental involvement.

My 1st daughter started out at a public school but the lax attitude of the teachers and principal made us try St. Mary's. Best thing we ever did! Would not send my children anywhere else! The faculty is wonderful and they truly care for the children. My girls have THRIVED at St. Mary's and we feel more like a family there than just a bunch of kids and parents at a school. They are learning not only to be good, well prepared students but good, kind people as well. There is an emphasis on the whole child, not just the academics.

Last modified St. Mary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8