Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

This school, as a student, is a 2 star at the most. Where I start is the bad teachers that inhabit the school. Now certainly there is sometimes a good teacher that you can get, but for the rest, you are in a lottery that you will probably lose. With the math program, Aleks, we are taught by a web program that can not teach you anything. The teachers expect it to teach you but it doesn't, it just puts more stress on us to work on it daily for 30 minutes. With science, there is just one teacher that will help you but she is only for honors. With the one I currently have he just gives us notes and expects that we will read them and know what he wants us to know, doesn't tell us when assignments are due, and thinks we can finish his work in other classes when he tells us that it's due that day. But in a complete turnaround in social studies, there is not one bad teacher. I would not mind having ANY of them. When it comes to the trades I can only speak for my shop, IST. We are not learning what I went in there for originally. We did, and still are doing, it in exploratory. But yet, there were no projects in my years there for what we did then. The teachers there are mediocre at best. For clubs, I am in a few of them. They are a break away from the school and make coming to school worth it. However, in one of them, I feel as if the leader is not educated enough on the topics at hand. As also, they are fairly hypocritical with what they say. For the other club, only one instructor truly cares. The administration doesn't care about the students in the school. We have complained directly to them and they have not taken any advice that the students have. When implementing the math program, they had no experience with it but the students said that it was not teaching us anything but went with doing it anyway. As also with the teachers, we have sent a cry for help to the principle but the teacher is still there. As also with the previous bomb threats made this year, they were very unorganized in the evacuation. My parent called me and informed me on the matter rather than the administration telling us. The effort to take us home was very bad as I almost missed my bus to go home. With the second one, when we were sent back into the school, I was not informed on where to go. I heard of going to my 4th period class, my 3rd, I even heard there was an assembly.

Develops character: Agree

Because they stress work ethic and you are held accountable for your actions or lack there of.

I have 2 children enrolled in this school and am so grateful for this wonderful opportunity to learn a trade that can ensure them a chance to succeed. I am always impressed by the pride the kids have for their shop each one will tell you theirs is the best. The one area which is a real problem is the way they do their parent teacher conference nights. No appointments are given and there are 11 or so slots so with 800 parents arriving at the same time chances are slim you will get to actually speak to many if any of your child's teachers. Hopefully they will change this but other than that we are happy to have our children attend this school.

Both my children now attend Platt Tech and they are both doing really well there. The staff and faculty truly care about the students and really work hard to make sure the kids excel!

My daughter is a new freshman to Platt, everyone has helped her adjust. It is refreshing to be part of a school where the faculty really cares. This is a big difference from West Haven High where she attending the first part of 2010 schoolyear.

This is one of only two VANGUARD schools in our region

We are a very diverse and community oriented school. Our kids strive to be the best academically and proffesionally.

My son is a junior at Platt. Academically, he has excelled. The teachers taught him the tools to do so. All of a sudden he's a poised, grown up young man... already making his plans for the future.

Vanguard selection makes it one of the best schools in the state

I have two sons one of which went to Platt Tech. This school gave my son the most possitive influence to succeed. The principal 'Laporta' puts so much of himself into this school, it shows in everything this school is about. The Pride this school has in their achievements is above and beyond anything I would have expected. My son is now graduated and in College. He took away from Platt, his own self worth and confidence to succeed in anything he wanted. I quote the words of LaPorta 'What you do in these few years of High School effect the rest of your life goals' Great job Platt Tech!!!!

Last modified Platt Technical High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.