Milford, CT
Before care: Yes

Posted October 23, 2014
I am pleased to have begun working at NESM this past Fall and have found immediate kinship among like-minded colleagues who care more and give more to the children we are responsible for than I have seen anywhere else. I have watched children grow and flourish in the short two months I have known them as they feel loved and supported by caring friends and the staff who guide them. Our program has the unique ability to individually tailor our curriculum to meet the needs of each one of our students offering the correct balance of challenge and success to foster healthy autonomy and self esteem. My youngest son also attends the elementary program, and I only wish I had found this school sooner so that my older children could have received the same benefits my son is gleaning from his experiences here.

Posted October 19, 2014
I'm a parent of two children, ages 3 and 4, at NESM. I sought out this school because I wanted them to have the advantages that I didn't have as a young child. When I was 12, we moved to the East Side of the city, I was tested and labeled as "intellectually gifted," and placed in "advanced" classes. Unfortunately, in many ways I could not keep up with my new peers, because I never had the preparation in that formative period when mathematical concepts are introduced. Being able to memorize and regurgitate answers is not the same as truly understanding, and as the curriculum advanced, those gaps in true understanding became self-evident. Consequently, my career options in life were limited. I cannot explain in words the joy I felt last week at the NESM parent-teacher conference, when I was told that my 3 year old was enjoying working with "the binomial cube." He has a love of learning and the opportunity to truly understand concepts to build upon for the future. I would highly recommend this school.

Posted October 16, 2014
As someone who was raised in Montessori schools I was gravely disappointed in this school. The school was unable to meet BASIC toddler needs. Did not seem to actually embrace individuality or self confidence in our child or attempt to work with him at his level. In our experience this school is only willing to work with children who fit a very specific mold, which is about as far from the Montessori teachings as you can get.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 14, 2014
This is a school that really embraces the Montessori method and they strive to make sure every child meets his/her full potential. I have two kids at NESM, both started in the Toddler class, and both developed differently at different rates - but both are strong, independent, respectful, creative, caring, thoughtful individuals and I see that NESM treasures these qualities as much as we do. I think it's important to know that this is a school, not a day care, and that the lessons continue at home, not just at the school. Teachers work with parents to let you know every day what the lessons are, and communication with teachers is encouraged and easy. We know we are always welcome to observe classes and encouraged to participate by reading to the class, baking, or doing a craft. The teachers are wonderful, well-trained, and very caring. The only warning I have is that, since it is a school, there are a lot of days off and delays for inclement weather - it's not always working parent friendly - you do need a backup plan (or two) for day care. My children are very happy at NESM and we are very happy to be a part of this community.

Posted October 13, 2014
This is our first year at NESM with our 17 month old. We first fell in love with the Montessori philosophy after attending the Silent Journey. If your family wants to stroll down the road less traveled in education, NESM may be for you. Our daughter is happy in a space that honors her needs to explore. Our daughter is learning in a classroom where teachers make thoughtful decisions that support the needs of each child. Our family is growing with great resources from the school about parenting our child in a way that nourishes her individuality. We are glad to be at NESM.

Posted October 12, 2014
I have 4 children at NESM in each level. This is the second year we are part of the community and my children have had a very positive experience. The teachers and administration are professional and create a fun, safe educational environment for the students. Glad to have discovered your school and definitely worth our 30 minute commute!

Posted October 12, 2014
This is my daughter's third year at NESM in primary class room.We have been most pleased with the welcoming school staff all the time. NESM provides very pleasant,caring and safe environment. This is more than just a school... My dauther is getting not only a wonderful education but we gained a family.

Posted October 07, 2014
It was a generally horrible experience and after one month we are glad to no longer be at the school and I do not recommend them to anyone.

Posted October 07, 2014
We were very excited by this school and EXTREMELY disappointed. Horrible experience, terrible communication and unprofessional behavior. Happy to no longer be at the school.

Posted August 26, 2013
We have three kids that go to this school and the teachers and community are so great. Great warm and caring people. We've gained so many new friends, both my wife and I and our kids. And all three of our kids are excelling far more than we imagined. My wife and I are both continually amazed at what our kids are learning.

New England School of Montessori
40 Quirk Road, Milford, CT  06460
Last modified New England School of Montessori is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
New England School of Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top