Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Very disappointed. They do not care. No follow through. My daughter was clearly struggling from day one. The ONE meeting was a joke with no follow through. They focus on Honor Students and Sports. Close minded. Rude. Absolutely do not send your child here.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

How do I describe how I feel this way. They've put me through hell since I started there as a freshman and gave me more and more problems every day by not caring and putting off other ones. This school Sucks!

This school only cares about the honors students. Everyone below that is basically treated horribly and given low grades due to having a slight to none disability. I know someone who goes to the school as I do, and literally her whole entire family works for the Monroe School System. So basically all of the rules that apply to everyone else do not apply to her and her little group of friends (aka the clique that ruins the entire school). When you have a problem with a teacher giving you bad grades or talking about you to another teacher infront of the entire class (which unfortunately happened to me), the assistant principle implies that she would take care of it... blah blah blah. But does that really happen and do any of them really care? No. They shove things under the rug which makes any problems you have grow larger and more concerning. Are they concerned still? No. It's all who knows who. I was given F's by this one teacher (keep in mind that I did not attend the school a lot because of medical issues and I am a very disciplined and hard worker) and had a meeting with the principles after emailing this teacher asking her what I could do better and why I was receiving bad grades. (I emailed her because I was now starting homebound education and wanted an answer either way because my grades had no reason to suffer). We had the meeting for a good 5 minutes because this teacher could only stay a limited amount of time due to having plans (which I had made with the school a month in advance but that's just another thing they can't handle well). During the meeting I asked the teacher politely what I had been doing wrong and how I could fix it next time (even though I should have been screaming due to the amount of effort they lacked "trying" to help me). The teacher said she would email me because she had to go look at all the papers that had been on a very organized list that I had taken time to give to her. That was about half way through the school year. It is now the beginning of the next school year and I have still not gotten an email back. I would not recommend this school to anyone, though there are only very few teachers that treated me well who happen to be in the Special Ed Program. They don't care about you or your future, they just want you to get the hell out of there so they can spend more time on the "popular" and "smart/honors" kids. Thanks.

I am a former student who has nothing but great things to say about this school. Masuk is a place where those who want to are able to succeed (abundant extracurricular opportunities, good teachers, great athletics, and many students go to top universities around the country). However, Masuk will not drag kids to success the way a private school may. The students who do well here are the ones who put in the effort and have their head on straight.

The curriculum at Masuk is challenging and differentiated for students. The academic program is advanced; the arts programs are excellent. In addition, the sport programs are outstanding (yes, the Masuk Football teams have been winning the State Champion several years and I m very proud to have my son in this football team). The staff is beyond exceptional. The dedication of many Masuk teachers is unparalleled and their effort shows in all programs. All of the teachers and guidance counselors are very caring and are genuinely concerned that you reach your potential. They create an engaging and fun learning environment. They are always available for extra help during and after the school day. My son said there is a multitude of extracurricular activities - clubs, sports, music, and drama/musicals. All of the students are encouraged to be active in the school and it is hard to find someone who is not. He is involved in one of the best public school on the East Coast. He will be graduated in June 2012 and will move on to higher education. I can honestly say I love this school and my younger son will definitely attend Masuk in 2013.

If your child is going to be in the honors program then this is the place for them but, if your child isn't above average then I would look somewhere else. The school puts all of its money into making sure its honor students are happy and ignores everyone bellow them. If you have a minor learning disability they treat you like you have a very severe disability. I hated masuk and was more than happy to leave their so called college prep program which is basically a ploy to get students to take foreign languages and higher math classes.

The curriculum at Masuk is challenging and differentiated for students. As with most schools, there are a few dead-weight teachers who need to move on, but there are far more who go well above and beyond the call of duty. Primarily in the arts department (music, drama), the staff is beyond exceptional. The dedication of these teachers is unparalleled and their effort shows in the terrific choral and dramatic productions put on by the students at Masuk. Having said that, the junior who wrote in March 2005 that there was no violence or drug use at the school must have been living under a rock. Students have ruined dances in recent years by showing up drunk or by getting into fights at school functions. In this respect, Masuk is no different than any other high school: there are a few bad apples in every bunch.

Last modified Masuk High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.