Posted June 26, 2013
This school currently has two campuses - the main campus middle school and the STEM Academy which students can choose to attend, with acceptance by lottery. I give the school 5 stars for two main reasons. The first is the principal. You will never find a principal more genuinely involved and concerned for the students and families. He is very pleasant and never hesitates to quickly and thoroughly answer any questions and concerns. The second is the kids - sure there are exceptions to this, but for the most part they are good, kind kids and you see a minimum of bullying and poor behavior as compared with other schools. As far as the STEM Academy, I would express a little more caution. It is a great opportunity especially if your child has a specific interest in engineering. The kids take an extra class in that field that the main campus doesn't have. The "cons" are the disorganized leadership and the fact that more "hands-on" science is actually taught on the main campus - something the kids were told they would have more of at STEM, but it didn't turn out to be the case. Participation in music programs is also minimized at STEM due to the logistics of the two campuses.

Posted September 07, 2011
Jockey Hollow is an amazing school. The state and national test scores alone provide overwhelming evidence of the committment to excellence. The principal is very communicative, responsive, and professional. He takes the even the most minor concerns, such as how long it takes to get through the lunch line, and personally researches and resolves the issue. I have 2 children there now, my daughter going into her final year there and they both love it. And I completely support their 'tough love'. If my kids forget their homework, they get an 'F' - deservingly so. Kudos to the entire Monroe, CT school district. Would never pay for private education when we have the absolute best resources right here.

Posted April 09, 2010
As a former student, I can tell you how much I didn't learn in Jockey Hollow. I don't know about you, but I think schools should hire teachers who can actually teach. Why do they call themselves teachers if kids learn nothing from them? I moved away and am now struggling to catch up in subjects because Jockey Hollow did not prep me for high school. I'm so glad I'm gone from Monroe, because I heard the school budget is completely dead. Don't suffer. Don't move to Monroe.

Posted February 23, 2010
I am very unhappy with Jockey Hollow. I moved from another CT twon and found that in JC, the teachers lack the movitation to teach and don't tend to the needs of the individual student. They tell you that you didn't do well on a test, but don't bother to help or give advice. The worplace is noisy and uncomfortable because the teachers do not implimate dicipline. The budget cuts have impacted the entire school as a whole in a very negative way. Bullying is a HUGE problem here. I am Jewish and I've heard kids make a comment about my religion or other religions/races right in front of teachers and nothing is done, though they clearly hear it. At lunch many boys will scream innapropiate words/body parts and the teachers don't do a thing even though they hear it loud and clear. A very poor school.

Posted July 21, 2009

Posted November 13, 2008
I was very disappointed with the middle school. First, my child was not offered a second language class. You needed to score an A in Language arts the previous year. Unfortunately, a B grade was not sufficient enough so he has to take to Lanuage Arts courses throughout the day. Also, if a homework is missed, he automatically gets an F. Does not have to make it up, just forget about it. This does not show responsability.

Posted April 11, 2007

Jockey Hollow School
365 Fan Hill Rd, Monroe, CT  06468
Last modified Jockey Hollow School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jockey Hollow School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top