No rating

Pope John Paul Ii

Private | PK-8 | 164 students

Living in New Britain

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $138,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $900.

Posted November 19, 2013

This school is disciminatory and bias towards non Polish children. Do not let your child go to this school unless Polish is their first language and English is their second. My child was singled out because he wasn't Polish by students and faculty. This is not a christian school, this is a show me the money school. The faculty could care less about teaching children morals that you would expect from a Christian school.

Posted November 30, 2009

The school now is much much better, the principal is amazing and leading the school for its best. I have 2 kids in this school and thinking of having my third later after 2 years from now, my kids are simply happy and learning respect. The parents are more involved, the teachers never let any kid left behind with his/her studies. You go go Holy Cross/Pope John Paull II now.

Posted September 3, 2009

My daughter is in 3rd grade and was in public school for kindergarten & 1st grade I love this school, They are great my daughter is so happy there it is worth it . The new principal is doing a great job. The website is always updated & keeping you informed . Her 2nd grade teacher was the best . I am very happy with them.

Posted August 21, 2008

I have 2 kids now attending in this school. Itt is an amazing school, comunity and have wonderful communication withh parents and kids. They are always up to date with you concerning your child safety. I love how the parents are involved in their comunity, I just love the teachers there, Mrs Dorsey will be one of my kids teacher witch I love and admire a lot, she is full of life and always up to date with new stuff, she is a wonderful PreK 4 teacher, I wish she is the Kindergarden teacher as well, terrific. I love this school!

Posted November 1, 2006

My child completed Kindergarten through 2nd grade at Holy Cross and is now enrolled at another catholic school for 3rd grade. He was a very good student as indicated by his report cards last year - never any indication or hint that he was behind in any aspect. However it turns out that he is not at the reading level you would expect for 3rd grade and is requiring extra help to catch up. I am extremely disappointed that this deficiency was not exposed until enrollment at another school.

Posted October 20, 2006

I honestly can say I know the school, because I've gone to that school from k-7 and I'm currently in the 10th grade. The academic performance of that school was soo low that I had such a hard time catching up in public schools. The teachers tried, but it seemed like the same thing over and over again. Also the parental involvement was very low in all extra activities. The school had hit rock bottom, so please choose another school for your kid.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 7, 2006

I have my child attending this school from kindergarten until now. He is is grade two. I can honestly say that with the teaching it is very good and I would not swap it for no other. My only concerns are the expenses. As lon as I can afford it he will be there.

Posted December 14, 2005

My first words are this - if you are thinking about Holy Cross School for your children - think again! Spend your hard earned money elsewhere. I have watched the school go down hill in the last several years and reach rock bottom this year - as tuition increased. There are several teachers at the grammar school level that are simply going through the motions without any enthusiasm for teaching and need to be replaced. There are several excellent teachers at the middle school level but by the time students reach the 6th or 7th grade the damage has been done - the foundations for academic excellence are sorely lacking. Parental participation in any extra curicular activity is minimal and limited to a very small group. Class sizes for specific grades are also too large for the teacher to handle.

Posted August 13, 2004

Excellent school and principal / awesome leadership / instills decent life ethics to live by/ positive thinking and encouragement/ the young blood isn't always the best blood/strong parent councils and genuine interest in childrens well being / i attended , my children and grand child is there now - sister marlene the principal has earned her wings / god bless her
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 6, 2004

Strong principal Leadership. Excellent basketball and cheerleading programs. Great Catholic Curriculum. Strong work ethic. Children are greatly rewarded for their academic hard work. However you may discover that they are behind in the times in both their teaching methods and technology. It has become necessary to 'clean house a little' teachers are getting on in years and the older they get the harder it is to identify with their students and to make learning fun. They need some new younger blood!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Hartford

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

221 Farmington Avenue