Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted May 09, 2016
Excellent school, staff all around, is going a outstanding job with the kids. Moving from West Hartford we had major concerns due to some bad reputations of the New Britain schools. However on the contrary we are having one of the best experiences. The principal show great leadership, motivates parents to get involved in the school and their kids life, she send out weekly phone messages, organizes other events to keep everyone involved. Needless to mention that she has a very good team to help her and support her, the teachers and the support staff is extremely great. I may add that my wife has over 15 years of European teaching experiences, and I have been also involved in different training and educations for about 10 years internationally, so we have a good understanding of the subject. I am highly recommending the school. Thank you very mush all and keep up the very good job.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted April 26, 2016
Thanks Ms Hammer and Mrs Bacho for all your hard work with Ethan we are very grateful to have had your help!

Posted April 26, 2016
Great experience here! Ms Hammer, 1sr grade, and Mrs. Bacho, reading interventionalist, were amazing and played a crucial part in the progress of my son. They were patient, persistent and supplied us as parents with the tools to support our son's progress in reading. Social workers were very nice and responded quickly to matters that of concern to me. Principal was welcoming and knew our son by name. School also had festive family activity nights that we really enjoyed participating in. A lot of oppertunities to stay involved for parents. Great over all experience:)

Holmes School 1

Posted December 18, 2015
This school needs a new principle and social worker. They are the reason this school is horrible

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 18, 2015
For being the only honest person reguardless of what she is told to say by the social worker and principle

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted December 18, 2015
The principle and social worker treat the kids very unfairly . when they principle and social worker does something wrong all they do is lie to cover their own butts. That is not teaching our kids honesty nor trust.

Holmes School 1

Posted September 17, 2015
This school is very horrible. I just had a social worker scream at me not knowing what was going on. Not sure if this old man was going threw menopause or just have a miserable life but board of education will definitely being hearing from me. This school very unorganized.

Posted September 24, 2010
I think this is one of the better schools in New Britain. The principle is a great leader, he cares about his students and is doing a lot to motivate them and challenge them to succeed. He really is "hands on" principle and great educator. There is many good teachers that go the extra mile to help our kids, but there is also some teachers that only do the minimum, nothing extra - but I guess those types are everywhere. (In my opinion teachers should be evaluated on their performance, how they teach and how they approach the kids). The True Teachers will do everything for their students to succeed, even stay after hours for free (I knew some of those teacher when I was in school). But overall I like the way the principle leads his school, He is a strong principal and an excellent leader.

Posted August 31, 2009
This School seems organized at first but when I went to numerous meetings concerning my son, needing special services. There staff did not stick the original plan. First day of school, my son was basically rejected by his original teacher, who assured me that the best thing for him was to be left back and left under her care in her class. If the parent is willing to do what it takes for their childs education, then the Teacher should not make empty promises.

Posted November 14, 2007
This school has a wonderful staff of teachers. I think the fourth and fifth grade classes are some of the best in the entire district, and I should know as I have been in all of the elementary schools in the district. The staff is willing to lend support to a visiting teacher. The principal seems genuinely concerned about the success of his students. While, I think, early on when mainstreaming special education students was a new thing, it might have appeared chaotic, but now that everybody has settled into the idea of the mainstreaming issue, I think it has become better organized. I think this is a very well run school.

2150 Stanley St, New Britain, CT  06053
Last modified Holmes School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.