K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Posted June 21, 2016
Great school, amenities, teachers. Nice to have K-8 in one school. Very tight knit community.

Posted February 27, 2013
We joined St. Aloysius 2 years ago and have been very pleased. My child entered the St. Aloysius family in 5th grade and received such a warm welcome by her classmates that by the end of her first week she said she felt like she had been in the school for years. She is reaching and surpassing our academic expectations and carries herself with such confidence because of the nuturing environment she is in.

Posted June 10, 2010
It's not possible for me to express how happy we are with this school. Principal Howard is an amazing educator and leader - and the kids love him! The teachers and children are provided with access to and support for all of the classroom technology you'd expect at the best of schools (of which this is one). Class projects are fun and challenging and are done at school so they are the students' work. Religion is emphasized throughout the day, not just during a 30 minute period. We transferred here mid year and everyone has made us feel like members of the community since the moment we arrived. Our child likes it so much s/he would wear the uniform 24/7 if we allowed it.

Posted March 10, 2010
As a parent I was very very disappointed in this school. The teachers were kind and the education satisfactory but the school has lost its sense of Catholic identity. The teachings of the church are watered down at best and some of the teachers off hand comments were actually contrary to church teaching. I also think that the discipline was lax. We left this school in 2006 so I do hope it has changed for the better .

Posted January 02, 2010
Combining a rigorous academic curriculum, devoted teachers and instilling of strong Christian values makes St. A's a great school for our children. Lower school children are provided with the proper nurturing to build independent study skills and enjoyment of learning. Upper school children are carefully prepared for success in area high schools and private prep schools.

Posted March 25, 2009
Academically rigorous but with a focus on Christian values. Recently updated with state of the art computer lab and foreign language classes. My three children are testing at a level equal or better to the New Canaan public schools. I have dialogue with their teachers and communication between school and parent is excellent.

Posted February 20, 2008
I have two daughters that started at St. A's after trying two other public schools in the area. My daughters are above average students who were bored in both the other schools. At St. A's, the teachers push the students to stretch their skills, providing a little extra work and a little tougher grading for the students who can handle it. Best of all, the teachers are free to TEACH and not waste time disciplining disruptive kids. If they're disruptive, after a couple of warnings, they usually are asked to leave the school. This is a superior school for any family who wants top-notch education coupled with a strong moral foundation.

Posted June 01, 2006
My daughter has attended for three years. It has been the perfect school for her as she needed the focus and attention only attainable at a small school with dedicated teachers. They have built her skills and self confidence so she is now able to stretch her wings at a larger school. She will do so with a strong morale basis as well as solid academic skills.

Posted April 18, 2004
Before sending my son to the second grade here, I'd placed my son in in our local (Darien) public school for first grade. It was a joke. He learned basically nothing except that the 5th graders could bully the little kids for money, and get away with it. Needless to say, I then resarched all the elementary schools in the area. St. A's is by far the best. For parents who are tired of PC public schools in so-called 'excellent' systems, St. A's is a really viable alternative. The atmosphere is cheerful, disciplined and family-like. The children are taught to respect adults and each other. Bullying is not tolerated. The curriculum is common-sense; although I wish it were a bit more traditional and demanding, I can and do supplement this at home. My son feels safe and happy at St. A's. This is a really terrific thing, nowadays.

St Aloysius Diocesan Elementary School 4

Posted February 23, 2004
St. Alyosius School is a very small school that has 1 class per grade. It is a school that teaches the children about God and how to live a life that God wants us all to live. The children are tought to be good and kind to each other therefor, it teaches them to be good people. As for the teachers they could not be better! They are attentive and because of them my children reach their highest potential.

33 South Avenue, New Canaan, CT  06840
Last modified St Aloysius Diocesan Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8