Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

They're very nice. French teachers don't really prepare you for the AP exams, and the average French AP score is much lower than the average Spanish score. The AP teacher had a medical leave, and the subs had no curriculum to follow, and so they gave us past exams to practice with. Had we had the subs the full year, the average might be higher.

I moved to New Canaan right before my sophomore year of high school. We chose New Canaan due to all of the wonderful things we heard about the school's academics. However, had we known what we know now, we would not have moved to New Canaan. Perhaps my experience would have been the same at another school, but as New Canaan is so highly spoken of and the faculty receives a higher salary than is usual for public school staff, expected much more. As it was my first year in New Canaan, I expected more from the school to integrate me into the system better, and at least explain things to me, like the login methods for computers and how PowerSchool worked to see my grades. However, I had no account to log in to school computers until a teacher took a class to the library and I used a classmate's computer to search for books, and I didn't have a locker until two weeks into school after my mom had to request one. My experience with my guidance counsellor was perhaps the most frustrating. When I did not know about the login for PowerSchool, she raised her voice at me and acted as if I were stupid. But for the entire first semester of sophomore year, no one had informed me of this, and as a student not moving from another school with an American system, there was no way for me to know that I would have my own login if I had not been told about one. This sort of voice raising had continued through the entire year, and by junior year, I did not want to visit the guidance office at all. I took French for the 3 years I was there. We found the the two women who subbed that year and my junior year are much more prepared to prep students for the AP exam. The French average exam grade much lower than the Spanish one. My brother is a freshman now, and he's had a concussion for the entire year. The school is responsible for finding an alternative if they are unable to keep him in their system. One alternative they came up with is located in Milford, which is a 40 minute drive. They said that the good news was the school would provide transport. The bad news is, he can't go on long drives without resting for a while after. Also, in the beginning of the year my mom emailed the nurse and all of his teachers, to tell them about the concussion. The nurse said she’d also emailed about it. On open house night, my mom found that the science teacher had no idea he had a concussion.

An alumni of NCHS who valued her education deeply. Send your kids there if you are considering it, just as valuable of an education as any private school in the area.

I am addressing the review written 4 yrs ago from a disgruntled student who attended NCPS. The individual called the drama dept., "slimy." New Canaan is an affluent community; parents afford dancing, singing, & theatre classes for their children from a young age. By the time these kids get to NCHS their talents are extremely honed, & the theater awards this school receives proves it! However, my own talented daughter found herself to be "a small fish in a big pond," but the drama teacher finds a place for every kid. My daughter worked on the set, props, lighting, stage direction, etc. By the time she graduated high school, she knew she wanted to be a production stage manager on Broadway & is currently a soph. in college pursuing a BFA and her dream. For the talented students who perform at NCPS, the competition IS difficult - Just like life! However, they learn about themselves & each other in the safe & supportive environment of a benevolent drama coach who is part teacher, mentor, therapist, & mom to these kids. This woman saved my daughter & gave her focus, passion, & a wonderful work ethic. How is a program like that "slimy"? Shakespeare said, "to thy own self be true."

I attended New Canaan High School and I affirm that it is a superior school. I often complained about how hard some of the classes were, but the rigorous academic programs have enhanced my life more than I could have fathomed at the time. As a future parent, I'm having a hard time finding a high school with comparable credentials in my new state of residence. If you're wondering whether or not to attend this school or send your teenager there, I would highly recommend it. My biggest complaints are the lack of windows in classrooms, how political and slimy the drama program is, and the weird, complicated schedule that I never wasted time memorizing, but at least it fashions the pretense of variety in life.

Last modified New Canaan High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.