New Canaan, CT

Posted April 09, 2014
My son and daughter now attend South school. I am very pleased and have no complaints. My son, who is now in 2nd grade, has had difficulty in school since kindergarten. All his teachers and staff have gone the extra mile to help him succeed. I know if he had gone to school else where he would be having an even harder time than he did. They do have a lot of fund raisers, but no one is ever singled out for not giving. I am never able to participate in all the fund raisers, and not once did I get put on a guilt trip. If your child goes to school here you are expected to work with them at home, the school cannot teach them everything. Overall it is a great school and I am thankful my kids are able to attend.

South School 1

Posted July 10, 2013
The worst experience my child has ever had and it took years for her to have confidence in herself and trust teachers once again. They treat the children as if they all should be at the same level. They do not practice positive enforcement even if they act like they do. The education received is not that great, math is not that great of a focus. They just want to get high scores on the public exams so their school is ranked high to make the town happy not the students. This school just wants to keep up with the jones and they do not REALLY care about your child. If you say anything to the teacher or principle they will point fingers at you the parent and the child not their staff, they will segregate your child from the rest of the group too. ALSO IF YOU ARE LATE BRINGING YOUR KID TO SCHOOL THEY WILL THREATEN YOU WITH CALLING CHILD SERVICES. This is all true. Go to EAST school if you can, or move to Weston they truly have wonderful schools.

Posted August 29, 2012
All of my children attended South School. My youngest is now in fourth grade. South School prepared them for middle school, high school and college! They enjoyed many activities. The principal, teachers and staff are excellent. Like any school community, you get out of it what you put in.

South School 2

Posted May 15, 2012
The South School in New Canaan is overrated. Fund raising push to student families is non-stop. Donor families are posted on a bulletin board as you walk in. A big holiday wish tree of many $50 personal items for teacher and staff that includes principals is posted near the office in Dec. We feel pressured to give or stand out. Way too much emphasis is given on Conn. Mastery Test-taking to improve rankings every year. It REALLY matters which teacher your child is given. The school is OVERCROWDED with 2012-13 enrollment and students will be bused elsewhere. We bought a house and are stuck unless we add private school tuition to our high mortgage. Very disappointing. Shows how wrong ratings can be.

Posted December 27, 2011
I honestly think this school is better than most private schools. The facilities are amazing. The parent involvement is impressive as well as the PTC. My only complaint is that it only goes to 4th grade. Principal Rocco really does an excellent job.

South School 0

Posted September 17, 2009
I was a teacher's aide at South up until 2 years ago, when my special needs student moved on to Saxe Middle School. All of the schools in New Canaan are great, but South went the extra mile to serve the needs of our special population. These kids are moving on successfully through middle and high school thanks to the effort the teachers and aides of South School.

Posted May 11, 2009
We came here from a private school environment in the South. Public school here is even better! Great community feel, active PTC, impressive facilities including smart boards in every classroom. Thrilled my children are at this school!

South School 0

Posted April 19, 2009
This has been our first year at South School and we have been extremely happy. We very seriously considered private school for our daughter, but the reality of the cost made it impossible. I was apprehensive starting at South School, but am thrilled with how this year has gone.

Posted March 27, 2008

South School
8 Farm Rd, New Canaan, CT  06840
Last modified South School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top