PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

At first, we were very happy with this school. However, after several incidents involving basic safety and communication,, we realized the school puts a higher priority on maintaining students at any cost ($),. There is a culture of secrecy and evasiveness. Once we left, we also learned our child who we were told was top of the class was below reading level at her new school. The biggest mistake I've made as a parent is trusting this school.

They do tolerate bullying here, big time. Deleting my review of it won't stop me from saying it. I have information to prove it. Freedom of speech.

The pre-k curriculum is phenomenal! My son has excelled . However, the school itself is not very accommodating to working parents. What they don't tell you when you enroll is that they have half-day Friday's every 1st Friday of the month. Also, if there is a school concert in just one of the grades, or for other random reasons the after school program will be closed. They also don't tell you that in addition to tuition, you will also be responsible for fundraising some hundreds of dollars or writing a check at the end of the year. For working parents with a couple kids at home this can be quite cumbersome. In addition, they do not have an adequte playground or gym for children to safely play. Instead, they force children to play on the asphault. With the amount we pay on tuition, you'd think they could invest in a playground.

10-star school! We began in 2001 w/ Mrs. Hart (aka the best Kindergarten teacher ever). Well-planned curriculum, safe environment, Respect & Discipline taught. No bullying allowed. My 3 children (ages 4-12 years) don't want to attend public school & don't mind uniforms! We live a few towns away,each year we find a way to keep them there although it's becoming difficult. Teaching up-to-date, science & computer labs, wonderful clubs & extracurricular activities begin around 4th grade & sports begin around 5th, they learn spanish, go on educational field trips, learn to speak in front of an audience by participating in mass, sports for both genders, learn to help their community, join numerous clubs: art, scrabble & tech ed, family community encouraging parents to get involved what ever way they can. We've formed lasting relationships here as well. Your child comes first. Check it out, you'll be glad you did.

I wish to respond to the remark made by the person who said that bullying is basically ignored at st. B's. I can attest to the fact that quite the opposite is true. They have zero tolerance for bullying of any kind and my son attended school there for 5 years and if the economic situation hadn't gotten so bad, he would still be there. He is in public school and they do a good job but st. B's was better with regard to the bullying. The school was wonderful, the teachers dedicated and caring and probably working at much less of a salary than public schools and my son had such a good prep at st. B's that he is doing so well at public school. All a's and b's and a great reader. St b's is the best!

A horrible school wher bullying is allowed and basically ignored, STAY AWAY

This school is a treasure tucked into a great New Haven neighborhood. The environment and commitment of the teachers make Saint Bernadette School a wonderful place for children today.

There are several sport programs and extracurricular activities after school. I, for one, know that because I participated in almost all of them and benefited from them. St. Bernadette's prepared me for an excellent private high school in CT where I am currently excelling. The teachers were always supportive and encouraged all the pupils to strive to do our very best. Every year the school is developing even more (new computers in every classroom, new and interesting clubs, and a brand new computer lab). I graduated SBS with an incredible feeling of accomplishment and determination to do anything. I also made the greatest friends there whom I am still in touch with and if I could go back in time I would not change enrolling there. I highly recommend SBS if you want to send your child to a superior private elementary/middle school.

Last modified St Bernadette Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8