K-9|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Our family has had an exceptional experience at Foote. It's a nurturing and inspiring place where the teachers know the students and families extremely well. We have a child in the lower school and one in the middle school now and others who have graduated. Each child is a different type of learner and person, and Foote has been a wonderful fit for each of them, in ways that worked for each child. My children love that they have many shared experiences-certain projects (such as writing/ performing a Greek play in 5th gr. and tapping campus maple trees and turning it into syrup in K) and aspects of the curriculum, like the buddy system (students are paired with students in another grade for a year) and studying a particular country in depth during 6th). They also can tell that Foote has been a unique experience for each of them, one shaped by good relationships with their particular teachers and fellow students: they each feel known by the school. Foote is a place that is rooted in many wonderful traditions and also willing to reflect and grow. My children feel lucky to be there, prepared for next steps when they leave, and better humans, I think, for having been at Foote.

Our duaghter is in her 2nd year at Foote School. Knowing that my daughter is fully engaged and happy to be going to school each day is the best review I can give and she is. The faculty and volunteers are 100% focused on the children. They are a nurturing and at the same time disciplined, helping to develop our child into a first class human being, while letting her imagination fIurish and develop. Helping us to teach her the values of respect, friendship, trust and social awareness through creative learning, group projects and cultural arts. We couldn't imagine making a better school choice for our daughter. We as parents are truly happy to be a part of the Foote School experience and believe anyone that enrolls their child here will be as well.

Our son is in first grade at Foote, and this is our second year at the school. We have many Foote School friends whom we know from another private school community (where my wife works). So we have known about Foote for years, always hearing great things. But we didn't fully appreciate the school until we enrolled our son. He is in love with his school, his teachers, his friends, and he loves to show me around HIS campus when I pick him up. For our family, this is the most important piece... as Winston Churchill once wrote, "the most important thing about education is the appetite." And Foote School has fanned our son's appetite. Beyond that, my wife and I are enamored with the place and the community. We feel supported, engaged, and welcomed. We cannot recommend it highly enough.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers care so much about us. They know how to handle troublemakers without interrupting class.

I love this school!!!! The academics are incredible and the teachers are so qualified! How anyone could not love this school is beyond me.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There are some great teachers at the school. However, having been at the school for so long. I have noticed that many teachers are struggling to teach, and are unhappy; and this really has effected kids experience at the school. I am shocked by some of the sarcastic/rude comments that teachers have made toward my children and in the classroom. Teachers have told they feel trapped and un happy. The middle school teachers seem to have no support on how to manage behavioral problems OR they just ignore them. It seems in the middle school teachers are all on their own plan and there is not enough consistency and communication. The advisor system is a joke. My son is afraid of his 6th grade advisor, and has connected with another teacher to help him navigate his day.

Amount of homework: Disagree

In 6th grade they really pile it on and then during the years it decreases. A lot of the hw is mindless, busy work. Teachers are suppose to use a test calendar to make sure kids are not overloaded. However, this is not used and teachers do what they want.

Develops character: Neutral

Character development is huge in the lower school, and the students know what the boundaries are. As kids enter middles school there is not much emphasis or boundaries placed on the students. It is during this time that students need a lot more consistency and support, but does not happen. In the middle school kids are sneaky, unkind and there are many incidents of bullying happening. Many students struggle as to why it is allowed and not stopped by teachers and administrators. Also, many teachers seem unhappy at the school and that really has an effect on the environment. My own children were afraid of their music teacher from 4-6th grade; and in middle school their math teacher. It seems many parents, teachers and administrators know that there are certain teachers that are unkind, but the behavior ( like that of students) is tolerated.

As a parent of 4 children ( all at Foote), it seems the school has lost its charm and uniqueness. The curriculum has not evolved through the years. Foote is stuck at holding on to all traditions, and it has gotten old and not appealing. Therefore, my children grew tired of the school.

The children are happy, but the teachers seem miserable. What has happened to this school? My son (currently in 7th grade) is very happy and loves it here, but I have been thoroughly unimpressed- especially with the "Learning Support" program which only seems capable of supporting stuggling readers. The math and science support is non-existent. And one LSP instructor uses impropper grammar and seems incapable of helping my son with basic algebra. Honestly for the price of this school, it is a shock that the curriculum is so traditional and lacks creativity-- they have literally not changed the humanities projects for three decades! The administration is completely disconnected from the faculty who seem to be dropping like flies. It makes me sad to see what was once such a great little school struggling like this!

Last modified Foote School is a Private school that serves grades K-9