New Haven, CT

Posted October 27, 2014
We feel very blessed and fortunate to have found Foote School. There are so many wonderful things to say about Foote. Foote fosters an environment of loving to learn and focusses on educating the whole child - emotionally, socially and intellectually. In addition, to creating creative thinkers, these students are taught how to become better citizens in our world. As parents we all do our best to teach how to be curious and respectful and Foote helps support that mission in every way. It takes a village to raise a child and history has shown how Foote alums continue to impact the world in such amazing ways. Foote is helping to prepare my children for tomorrow through its project based learning curriculum which teaches them how to corroborate, listen, compromise and problem solve, as well as help them become better public speakers. These are what we as adult do everyday in our own working environments. There are financial choices we make to send our children here and they are all worth it. Most importantly, my children are happy!

Posted October 09, 2014
For my family Foote has been an amazing community. The focus on respecting and supporting individual children and encouraging kids to stretch beyond their own expectations has had a lasting impact on my kids' confidence and ability to pursue their interests. Foote is diverse in a lot of ways. Culturally for sure, as they occasionally demonstrate with 20+ languages spoken - also socioeconomically. Two years ago I saw a listing of financial aid at independent elementary schools nationally and it showed Foote as number one school in financial aid offered per capita. My own children have developed friendships with kids who have more than they do and kids who have less than they do. There are definitely challenges in having kids together who have a broad range of socioeconomic experiences. They will have different vacations, options etc. But I found a lot of support for the individual interests of kids and the idea of "being yourself" that helped with those things. Overall, my view is that no place is perfect, but Foote's teachers and a lot of Foote families put a lot of effort into building a strong, supportive school community so the kids are comfortable and happy.

Foote School 3

Posted October 05, 2014
I have 2 kids in the lower school, and will agree with other reviewers that my kids love to go to Foote. It is what they say and experience with their peer groups that challenges my husband and I. Foote is an elite school. My kids expect us to belong to swimming clubs, have a multiple homes, take amazing vacations and go to sleep way camps. This is not our reality and we work really hard to help our children have pride in what we have, My kids have told me they are embarrassed about the house we live in and that we do not have cool stuff. They both struggle with returning to school after vacations..they get really stressed out that they will not have a story to match their peer groups. As parents my husband and I feel disconnected,we feel the dividing line between parents and are hesitant to come to campus. We do not feel that parents are as welcoming as the school says they are . During school functions we are acknowledged, but not really engaged by other parents. There is a dividing line Again, my kids are happy, but every year we struggle if we are making the right decision to send our kids to Foote, and wonder would they be better served in a more diverse environment.

Posted October 02, 2014
Fabulous Learning Support program. My daughter received invaluable help with writing, editing, and study skills.

Posted October 02, 2014
We have 2 children at Foote and have been fortunate enough to be part of the community for the last 5 years. Foote is an amazing place in every way. The children love to learn, they are inquisitive and confident and able to self-advocate. The teachers are nurturing, warm, bright and outstanding; they are the heart of the school. They care so much about each child. Each year I am more impressed by the quality of the education and am overwhelmed by the dedication of the teachers. The small class size only furthers their ability to be so attentive. The exposure to diversity and culture has been a huge positive. The administration is equally as wonderful. The Head of School has an open-door policy and is truly involved with the students, parents and families. When we were first touring the school several years ago we met her- in a smock, in the art room, participating in a lower school pottery class getting to know the students- she is warm and yet a truly outstanding leader. The staff is equally as wonderful. Foote is a special place; not just a school- a community that creates life-long learners and enhances the values we all hope for in today's world.

Posted September 29, 2014
I cannot begin to describe the magical,joyous experience my children experience every day at the Foote School.We feel beyond grateful to be a part of such a loving, warm community,that strives and achieves academic and personal success within each child that attends this incredible institution.My three children are excited to go to school every day. Each of them thrives on the positive energy,avid learning,community building and confidence the school has given them to be the unique individuals they are.I myself feel that as a parent Foote has taught me how to be a better mom to my kids.I am forever in the school's debt because I come away each day thinking,"wow, how do they always get it just right!" From academic excellence to amazing social and community skills they instill in each child a love of learning that stays with them throughout life.Just looking at the success of alums you can see what this school does for a person.Its not common that grads look back and thank their grammar schools,here they do!Not only do children achieve academic success but they come out of Foote with a deep moral fiber and a passion to enrich their own lives and give back to the community.

Posted September 24, 2014
My son is delirious with joy @ Foote. He is a second grader who loves every minute of his day. We love his teachers who are creative, passionate, emotionally intelligent, and rigorous. As working and middle income parents, we haven't experienced the rift that others on greatschools have found. Au contraire, have found a good community of people in similar situations. We particularly enjoy the high concentration of international or internationally-focused families. The sports facilities for our very active child were also a big draw in addition to the arts. We would like to see more attention to foreign language but you can't have everything. I only stumbled upon this site and was surprised by the negative comments because we have exclusively heard extremely positive views from highly informed lower school parents.

Foote School 2

Posted September 05, 2014
We withdrew our child after only a few years - couldn't deal with the bias against parents of middle income and those who actually work for a living. The school wants cookie cutter kids only and children of alumns / Yale profs...if you're not...you're on the outs. Too many children of faculty who are favored in all aspects. All in all, an awful experience for our kid.

Foote School 1

Posted August 08, 2014
Totally agree with the poster who noted that Foote offers a painfully traditional education. The administrators think the school is progressive because there are a bunch of fake hippie baby boomers amongst the faculty members, but the school actually fosters very traditional, non-creative and non-abstract thinking. Why is it that I struggled academically throughout my entire time at Foote, yet in college and grad school I was praised repeatedly for my analytical thinking skills and considered one of the best in two highly competitive institutions of higher education? Makes you stop and think...
2 people found this helpful

Foote School 2

Posted July 29, 2014
I visited the school one day with a parent of a student there. One occurance had an impact on me. I was walking into a building and some children were around it outside. I went around them, but then I heard a girl loudly call a younger boy "rude" for being in the way. I did not think the little boy was being rude at all, but maybe that Foote puts too much weight on perceived rudeness. And it teaches kids from a young age to put down each other by calling them "rude." It is good for children to be polite, but inculcating shame is not good. This was just an impression though, so the actual experience of being a student there may be much better.

Foote School