Posted December 09, 2013
Cold Spring is just fantastic. Kids get a wonderful, rich, challenging progressive education. It is a gem in New Haven. There is no other school like it in its ability to differentiate learning for its students. The approach is innovative, really having kids think through what it is they are learning. And they love it! Teachers are warm and caring, and really inspired by what they do, pushing kids to the next level. We are so grateful to have found this school for our child!

Posted May 25, 2013
We have 2 children in this truly great school. Our children are blossoming both intellectually and socially. The teachers have been very supportive to their needs and responsive to their requests. This is the best of child directed learning in a rigorous and structured environment.

Posted October 22, 2011
I have 3 children at Cold Spring School from preschool thru 4th grade and all 3 love school. CSS is in the truest sense a child-centered place of learning. It has a remarkable, rigorous and supportive academic and social curriculum, unlike any other I've seen or experienced. CSS nurtures the natural curiosity and sense of wonder of children. My kids think learning is fun and cool and that's because of CSS, its extraordinary teachers and its progressive approach to teaching and learning. (I think the CSS video which is accessible from the school's website gives a helpful and accurate overview of the school.) Financially I wish we had a comparable public alternative, but in my view, for these early years, CSS is absolutely worth the investment.

Posted August 09, 2010
Step into the hum of happy activity at CSS and you know something is incredibly right. In the K-1 classroom children listen with interest as a peer makes a weather prediction for the day. Pre-K students re-enact "Caps for Sale." On the second floor, students in the 2-3 classes are clumped in small groups peer-editing the poetry they've been writing. On the third floor students, in the 4-5 classes simulate the arrival of new immigrants at Ellis Island, or prepare a podcast on the Quinnipiac river available on iTunes. In the beautifully refurbished old house next door, creativity abounds in the art studio and the music studio while the 6th graders on the upper floor research ancient civilizations or write a new constitution. My two boys loved every minute of this marvelous school, its phenomenal teachers and incredible director. Correcting an earlier incorrect review: Classsize is always 18-21 with 2 teachers.

Posted June 26, 2010
I cannot be happier that my son is at CSS! The teachers are just great. They really care about the students. They realize each student is different and they work with them to bring out the best in each and every kid. I am honored to have my son there and would not think of another elementary school. The class sizes are extremely small and learning is fun for the kids in this particular environment. Yes, the tuition is expensive but you cannot put a price on education! I am convinced this is the best school in CT! We are hooked on CSS.

Posted June 17, 2010
My son and daughter were at Cold Spring from K through 6 grade, then went on to public schools. They hated snow days when at CSS, but welcomed them when in public school. They wanted to get to CSS as early as possible during the flexible arrival period of 8 to 8:30 AM- clear proof they found CSS an exciting and welcoming place. During and after CSS, they've taken full responsibility for their learning- no need for parental pressure to get homework done. They did have to learn that not all assignments given them in public school were worth their best ! They tested into the talented and gifted class in public junior high, but were surprized how many of their classmates there had lost the love of learning and had the creativity beaten out of them already. Moderately priced for a private school, and worth every penny.

Posted June 03, 2010
My three children graduated from CSS a number of years ago. I have watched their Cold Spring education become the foundation on which their very successful academic careers have flourished -- and even more importantly, it nutured a core of values and ethics that helped to produce emotionally and socially well-rounded young adults. This is a hidden gem of a school!

Posted May 24, 2010
Truly a remarkable school. The energy and creativity in the classrooms are palpable. Children are thoroughly engaged and take an active, joyful part in their learning. As a result, students really do become the self-reliant, curious and resourceful problem-solvers that the school s mission statement promises. Cold Spring grads are also good people who respect the strengths and weaknesses of others and know how to resolve conflicts. This is not a coincidence, but the result of the school focusing as much on the personal and social development of each student as it does on math or reading. Extraordinary teachers, and despite expansion in 2003, student teacher ratio is still less than 10:1. It's been an incredible educational experience for my sons.

Cold Spring School 0

Posted May 18, 2010
My grandson is a student there and and he has developed into a confident happy little fellow despite having a huge change from moving across country. I have spent time in his class room and have seen the positive changes take place

Posted May 12, 2010
I cannot say enough great things about Cold Spring School. It has been a joy to watch the growth in my sons. There is never a word of complaint about going off to school. In fact, it is remarkable to see the number of students galloping to the school's front door each morning, excited to get going, get learning. Cold Spring's multigrade classrooms were a huge selling point for us. My sons' needs are met both academically AND socially, & Cold Spring takes social development very seriously. Bullying just does not happen here. There are two full-time teachers per classroom so groupings can happen in different ways and issues can be addressed immediately. These teachers KNOW my boys, which is apparent every time I speak with the teachers --and I always feel welcome IN the classroom/school. Also, the parent body has been warm, NOT elitist at all, & incredibly diverse.

Cold Spring School
263 Chapel Street, New Haven, CT  06513
Last modified Cold Spring School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Cold Spring School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews.