Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Posted March 10, 2016
My adopted son has been attending Amistad Middle School and I must say it has been nothing short of a NIGHTMARE. Never in my life have I seen children constantly mistreated and spoken to like they are beneath the teachers. We have had several meetings with teachers to explain our sons abusive history and they act all nice but then in the class show absolutely NO SYMPATHY and try to fit him into their little Military style box. I agree with other parents on here that the deduction system is terrible and does not work. These teachers think that by giving deductions and constantly removing children from a class room, for stupid things that a normal school would just tell the kid to knock it off and move on, is acceptable. This does not help these children learn ! Instead it sets them up for more mental anguish and if they are not in the class room how the helk are they suppose to learn? I am trying my hardest to get my child out of there and into a more suitable school as soon as possible. As far as I am concerned this school needs and over hall of new educators who show compassion and inspire their students to learn OR the state should shut them down!!!!!!

Amistad Academy
Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted January 13, 2016
The teachers disrespect the students and when they are disrespectful back they all of a sudden give the student deductions and they get removed.-8th grade student

Posted February 16, 2015
I love the school this is my daughter 5th year in the school. She is the youngest in her peer group and she is above average in most of her subject. The school teachers are easy to reach via email or text. This was the best thing I did for my child.

Amistad Academy 2

Posted October 02, 2014
My daugters have been involved in this school for years! The elementry school is great! But the middle scbool is a stressful, mentally abusive, black children being degraded mess! I have never seen a kid get so many DEDUCTIONS, OSS, ISS in my life. If you are so much about kids getting their eduction, why are you so quick to kick them out of class and/or suspended them?This school was so hard to get into but now the principal is calling parents phone to see if they have any family members that would like to attend amistad? Now you know its getting bad!

Posted March 27, 2014
I love this school my son has been going there since kindergarden and he's now in the second grade the school teaches the kids a lot of discipline and get them focusing on their future but for some children it may be too much to handle if you're not used to a structured setting they have a lot of rules that the other elementary and middle schools do not have so at times it can be tough but academically this is the best school to put your child in I love it and wouldn't put my son anywhere else

Posted February 19, 2014
My daughter has been in Amistad since kindergarten she is now in 4th. The teachers are nice my daughter loves them. My problem with the school is they have changed to much over the years when we 1st started there. We did not sign up for what the school has become today. My daughter is 10 years old stressing out. It's true what they say this school is not for everyone!!

Amistad Academy 4

Posted January 27, 2014
Student I love it it's strict so that nobody would get bullied and we have fun in class so we won't be bored in the middle school we have a lot oppertunitys to get thing or earn it .also in elementary school you could do the same thing in both middle and elementary we have recess .so send your kids here I have been here since kindergarten 6 gr bc I stood back once so they helped me to make sure I got the stuff like reading so now I'm at a reading level w please I think your kids would love it

Posted August 22, 2013
Amistad Academy has been a true blessing for my daughter. We have been part of the Amistad Family since 2010 and within the first year my daughter was reading @ grade level. She no longer gets bullied thanks to the strict rules of Amistad and she is able to concentrate on her schoolwork. Amistad has restored the love of School / learning for my child and I can imagine many others as well. Amistad has truly been a blessing and I am proud to be part of the Amistad Family.

Posted December 18, 2012
Our son started this year, we see a big change in him. He is above the reading level for kindergarten, the teachers are amazing and they respect one another if there are any problems they notify you right away, we love Amistad.

Posted June 10, 2011
School does not communicated well and wants a kindergardener to behave like an adult. They are actually sucking the enthusiasm out my daughter

Amistad Academy
407 James St, New Haven, CT  06511
Last modified Amistad Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.