Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teachers are excellent and caring. They plan for each student. Parents are involved. Principal is stern, yet smart and open to ideas. Facilities in great shape. Lots of hands on activities. This school still has music and art! Awarded magnet school of distinction in CT. My kids love going to school!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

I don't feel the teachers are up to par with the education or teaching of the students I don't think they care about the student or with the student should be learning or not learning in class

Amount of homework: no rating

Sometimes kids come with no homework sometimes they come with too much homework that cannot be completed and teachers don't tell them when it's due

Develops character: Strongly agree

I believe this School doesn't care about students that really want to learn and that have good behavior

We were so excited that our daughter finally got into a magnet school. But we soon came to realize that little things would happen almost every week that would make us think about the school and how they manage it. First occurrence was my daughter had missed the bus because it was her first day and she didn't even know she was supposed to get on the bus and no one told her which bus you was supposed to get into and they were blaming her for not going in the bus when she was supposed to be going in the bus. The second occurrence is my daughter complaining that there is ruckus in the classroom there is kids misbehaving saying inappropriate words putting their middle fingers up and the teachers don't even care. The other occurrence if the bus is constantly late there is always problems with the bus and they call you if you want to pick up your child or have your child go on the bus. Another thing is homework teachers don't even pass out homework in 4th grade they have the students pass it out and put it in the mailbox and the child is supposed to check that mailbox for their own homework. My daughter has never been to a magnet school before and she needs to get adjusted to all of this and nobody tells her how it is and what needs to be done they just expect her to know it all. Another thing that I do not like is that when you email the teacher the teacher never gets back to you they want you to communicate with them through a written letter sent to them with your child to school. I find this method very old because what about if you need ask the teacher a question or if you need to know an information and you need an answer right away the teacher is supposed to be in constant view of her email and in constant communication with the parent about the child. My daughter has always been a straight A student and she has been in this School for 3 months now and her grades have gone down I don't believe this is a good school at all. They even let kids go to school without uniforms

My son has had an absolutely horrible experience at Beecher. He transferred this past year and has been bullied since day 1. The administration has gone as far to say it is HIS fault for being different and that it is just part of his adjustment. Fighting in the middle school happens everyday without consequence. The teachers try to teach but the principal and assistant principal have no control. I have walked into the office and heard them joking about other students that they think will soon be pregnant or in prison. This place is a sad excuse for a school.

I think the staff is wonderful. Yes, the administrative staff is somewhat slow to respond but you can get that even in the most open of businesses no matter what the business. Custodial staff needs to be more up on the cleaning but then students should be able to clean up papers from the floor themselves in older classes and not be such pigs in the bathrooms, then maybe the classsrooms wouldnt be so bad off. The staff has been very responsive to any assistance they can get and with all of the cutbacks by the city of New Haven it is a wonder why anyone would want to send their child to any school in the city. Being and interdistrict parent I think they do as well a job as most other schools and work hard to work with children that are most often rude and disrespectful and that speaks more of the parent than the teacher. I do not bring my child up to talk back to adults yet I see it all the time in the school, what are parents teaching their child, dont forget teachers are not the only teacher in a childs life, what about the parents that you never see unless something is for free. Parents are not active in the education process anywhere let alone at Beecher.

We've been at Beecher for 3 years and have tried to transfer to a better magnet school ever since day one. Unfortunately, we're in Beecher's district and get stuck on other school's waiting lists every year. So much for the "school choice" sham. Beecher's teachers are wonderful and devoted. Overall, the staff members are caring and helpful. However, the principle and vice-principle have to be the two most unprofessional and unresponsive administrators I've ever come across. Good luck getting ANY assistance from the main office. School event notices (if they are sent at all) will often go out AFTER the event has already taken place. The sanitation conditions are so deplorable that children routinely contract stomach bugs throughout the school year. Beecher has good potential, but needs administrators who care more about addressing parental and student concerns than demanding that people don't park in their unmarked spaces.

My daughter is a pre-k3 student at Beecher...im surprised to see all the bad reviews....so far in my opinion and experiences the staff at Beecher is very loving and inviting...my daughter is a ball of sunshine when she walks into the building teachers and other staff love her and she (my daughter) definitely feels comfortable there...I think she would be devastated if I were to remove her from the school...*beacuse I have been considering Davis Magnet for Kindergarten...but my daughter loves the school she knows most of the staff by name...hey if she likes it i love it

My children were there for 2 yrs and it was the worst experience of their lives. The academic curriculum is far below CT state standards, the main office staff need major attitude adjustments as well as some courses in professionalism and communication and many times it seemed as if the students were in control of the school ( very disrespectful ). This school IN MY humble opinion sets up these children for failure. Don't let the beautiful exterior fool you... the money that went into building a new school for Beecher should have went into better staffing and security. So happy I took my kids out. One of best decisions we have made. They have some nerve labeling this school as a "magnet" now, that's an insult to the true magnet schools in Connecticut.

Last modified Beecher School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.