New Haven, CT

Beecher School 3

Posted October 21, 2011
I think the staff is wonderful. Yes, the administrative staff is somewhat slow to respond but you can get that even in the most open of businesses no matter what the business. Custodial staff needs to be more up on the cleaning but then students should be able to clean up papers from the floor themselves in older classes and not be such pigs in the bathrooms, then maybe the classsrooms wouldnt be so bad off. The staff has been very responsive to any assistance they can get and with all of the cutbacks by the city of New Haven it is a wonder why anyone would want to send their child to any school in the city. Being and interdistrict parent I think they do as well a job as most other schools and work hard to work with children that are most often rude and disrespectful and that speaks more of the parent than the teacher. I do not bring my child up to talk back to adults yet I see it all the time in the school, what are parents teaching their child, dont forget teachers are not the only teacher in a childs life, what about the parents that you never see unless something is for free. Parents are not active in the education process anywhere let alone at Beecher.

Beecher School 2

Posted June 14, 2011
We've been at Beecher for 3 years and have tried to transfer to a better magnet school ever since day one. Unfortunately, we're in Beecher's district and get stuck on other school's waiting lists every year. So much for the "school choice" sham. Beecher's teachers are wonderful and devoted. Overall, the staff members are caring and helpful. However, the principle and vice-principle have to be the two most unprofessional and unresponsive administrators I've ever come across. Good luck getting ANY assistance from the main office. School event notices (if they are sent at all) will often go out AFTER the event has already taken place. The sanitation conditions are so deplorable that children routinely contract stomach bugs throughout the school year. Beecher has good potential, but needs administrators who care more about addressing parental and student concerns than demanding that people don't park in their unmarked spaces.

Beecher School 4

Posted February 07, 2011
My daughter is a pre-k3 student at Beecher...im surprised to see all the bad reviews....so far in my opinion and experiences the staff at Beecher is very loving and inviting...my daughter is a ball of sunshine when she walks into the building teachers and other staff love her and she (my daughter) definitely feels comfortable there...I think she would be devastated if I were to remove her from the school...*beacuse I have been considering Davis Magnet for Kindergarten...but my daughter loves the school she knows most of the staff by name...hey if she likes it i love it

Posted December 15, 2010
My children were there for 2 yrs and it was the worst experience of their lives. The academic curriculum is far below CT state standards, the main office staff need major attitude adjustments as well as some courses in professionalism and communication and many times it seemed as if the students were in control of the school ( very disrespectful ). This school IN MY humble opinion sets up these children for failure. Don't let the beautiful exterior fool you... the money that went into building a new school for Beecher should have went into better staffing and security. So happy I took my kids out. One of best decisions we have made. They have some nerve labeling this school as a "magnet" now, that's an insult to the true magnet schools in Connecticut.

Posted September 22, 2010
Simply put, we REMOVED our children from this school due to the incompetence of the staff. The I agree fully with the parent stating the staffs lack of supervision skills.

Posted August 11, 2009
My son attended Beecher School K-1st. The first class he was in was over crowed and under staffed. The children were completely out of control and difficult to manage. My son, who was 5 at the time and generally well behaved,followed suit. The lack of supervision and concern ran straight through to his 1st grade class. I was very involved and available to the staff and they all knew my family. I have come to understand that the blame falls more on the staff and their disregard for the behavior. My son excelled academically due to his family, but the sufferring he endured from other children caused great issue for him, an issue the school disregarded. They had a shining star in their midst, but we have moved to another town to be in a better school system. This school should take a hard look @ themselves

Posted November 03, 2008
I have been a straight A student at Beecher school for 8 long years and I must say I love it.The teachers that I am surrounded with all day long are so loving an supportive.When I graduate this year I really don't know what I am going to do .I will miss L.W Beecher school.

Posted June 11, 2008

Posted June 02, 2007
I am a parent at Beecher school for over 8 years. I was PTO president for 6 years. I have seen Beecher School go through many changes and it has still come out on top. I like to think of it as a little known secret! We are going magnet soon so the secret will be out. There will be MANY more opportunities & activities with the magnet status. The level of parent participation is currently not as high it should be but it is really getting higher. We have a brand new state of the art 50 million dollar building. Beecher is making history. The staff and principal Mrs. Russell-Beck are so invested in the children. It is an enviroment that needs to be seen for yourself to truely understand!

Posted August 25, 2003
L.W. Beecher has made wonderful changes in the past couple of years. As a whole the changes have been very positive for the students. I have 1 child in there now and another who will be going to kindergarten next year. My oldest child graduated from Beecher last year. There is no other schol i would send my children too. The staff is wonderful.

Beecher School
100 Jewell St, New Haven, CT  06511
Last modified Beecher School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Beecher School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top