Bad
Good

This school failed to report to parents that staff who were supposed to be certified to teach, in fact was not certified. I wasn't notified until the school year had ended by mail. My child is below grade level and this very well could be one of the reasons. Class size is too big, not allowing children to receive the attention that is needed to learn, keep up and make progress. No support or help to family in locating resources to help child(ren) to catchup to be more successful. My child asked for help to understand presented information and the Substitute told her No. Today, my child went without lunch although it is free because no one ordered it although she put in the order. I have Safety concerns, after my children told me their life was threatened by an older student. I brought to the attention of staff and I'm not sure if anything was done because I had no rights to know what consequences were given because of privacy protecting the Bully(ers). My concerns were not taking seriously. A lot of bullying happens on the playground because there are not enough staff overseeing three whole classes. I see a lot of favoritism towards different students and parents.

My daughter has been attending Winthrop since Kindergarten and my son will be there next year. One thing I love about this school, is their open door policy. Parents are always welcome. The staff has created a friendly atmosphere among themselves and with the parents and students. I wish more parents were involved so they can see how great of a school it is as well!

My son attended Winthrop K-3. His classroom teachers/support staff were some of the most dedicated I have seen. They seem build relationships with the children and create an environment of positive expectations. I do wish they had the freedom to teach w/out CMT's looming over their heads, however. Marlene Ewankow

Last modified Winthrop School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.