No rating

St. Mary School

Private | PK-8 | 110 students

Our school is best known for excellent academics in a close, caring communinity

Living in Newington

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $188,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,100.

Posted May 6, 2014

This is the 1st year my children have attended this school and they love it. There is a good mix of teachers younger and more experienced and I feel that they are all very commited to providing the children with the best possible education that they can. Class size is small and there is a great sense of community and family. I also love the fact that prayer and faith is a part of their every day routine.

Posted April 30, 2014

We love St. Mary's School! The teachers and staff are great. The teachers care a lot about their students and keep parents in the loop on everything. The school as a whole does a lot to get parents involved and to join in as part of the school family.

Posted April 30, 2014

St Mary School in Newington, CT is a wonderful faith based school with qualified teachers and excellent staff. Our community is small but that lends itself to greater attention from the teachers. We offer a curriculum based education that is wrapped in kindness to others including but not limited to each other, the community, and people who are less fortunate. Our graduates are well prepared for high school and score high in all standardized tests. Our 8th graders attend Catholic, private as well as public schools. Our school could improve with an endowment that would allow for upgrades to our building itself.

Posted April 30, 2014

A wonderful learning environment with top faculty and staff. The small class sizes give students the ability to have individual attention of the teacher. Any concerns are addressed immediately and the front staff is most accommodating to requests. School feels like a big family!

Posted April 30, 2014

I have been associated with Saint Mary School, Newington, since 1991 when my first child began in the Pre-K program. In 1994, I began teaching here and remained after my children graduated from SMS. In 2010, I am proud to say, I accepted the position as principal. One cannot devote that much time to a school unless it is VERY SPECIAL, and that is just what SMS is! With the highest caliber of state-certified teachers who either have advanced degrees or are working towards that goal, our students receive an outstanding academic education that is infused with Christian values. This is offered in a safe, nurturing, family environment. Upon graduation, our students do well in whatever high school they attend, be it public, private or parochial.

Posted April 30, 2014

A small but wonderful school! Friendly teachers and staff who really care about students and help in the development of the whole child. Highly recommend for their academic programs and strong Catholic values. A+

Posted April 30, 2014

St. Mary School is a wonderful school that has caring teachers. The teachers differentiate their instruction so that all children learn to the best of their ability. We have small, friendly classes. We trully feel like a family here.

Posted April 29, 2014

Great school. My daughters go here. Friendly, disciplined and family like environment. My daughters love their teachers.

Posted April 29, 2014

My son is in K this year and was in PreK the past 2 years. He's the one who begged to go to this school. He absolutely loves his teachers and knows how to read at 1st grade level. We all help each other at some point and we're kind of like a big family. I love this school and we're staying here!

Posted April 29, 2014

This is our first year here and my children love, love it!!! My daughter can't wait to get up in the morning to attend school and my son has made some really great friends. They are doing both very well in their academics and social skills. One of the very few schools that I can honestly say that there is no tolerance for bullying. An admirable staff is responsible for the the best of students, learning in a respectful Christian and well-disciplined environment makes for the perfect balance here at St. Mary School. My kids are spoiled with love, friends, structure, all while learning in a safe and positive family environment. Thank you St. Mary school and staff.

Posted April 29, 2014

St. Mary School is an outstanding school. I have been teaching here for 15 years and love how everyone there is a part of a community and treats each other like family. I am proud of the students I have taught and seen them grow into Christian leaders who know the right way to treat each other. Our academics are second to none as we have had many go on to win scholarships to Catholic high schools. If you want a first rate education for your child in a caring and nurturing environment, St. Mary School should be your choice.

Posted April 29, 2014

My daughter's school is amazing for a Catholic School. Her teacher is wonderful. St. Mary's School in Newington is top notch and would recommend anyone bringing their kids here whether they are affiliated with a catholic church or not.

Posted October 18, 2013

Our children have grown up in this school and developed friendships and mentorships that will last a lifetime. The school is really a family environment

Posted October 17, 2013

We love Saint Mary's. This is our second year here and I could not imagine a more supportive staff and administration. My child loves to go to school and even when she is sick she asks to go and you can not find that in many places. I remember when looking for a school for my daughter, Mrs. McDonald saying "St. Mary is a community and you will feel like a part of this community when you are here". I can honestly say she was right! I do feel part of the St. Mary's community!

Posted October 17, 2013

ST. Mary School, Newington, CT is the place to be - - for Christian influence in your life AND learning. Students are the best and continue on to High School peforming at levels well above grade level . Each day new ideas blossom and converted to learning experiences.

Posted August 7, 2012

My grandson has attended St. Mary School for the past 4 years. We are most impressed with the leadership of teachers, administrators, and Fr. Joe. As I retired from a public school district I have keenly observed the students of St. Mary and feel St. Mary offers an education second-to-none.

Posted August 11, 2010

Saint Mary School is simply the best education you can get for your child in Newington. Small classes, individualized instruction, lots of extracurricular activities, all in a safe, caring environment. We're very happy with our decision to enroll our children there.

Posted December 5, 2009

Amazing school, wondeful teachers/staff and the best community to surround your children with. Their Pre-K program is amazing and I am so impressed with how all the K-8yrs old teachers know my daughters' names that I am strongly considering continuing their education at St. Mary's.

Posted July 12, 2009

Excellent school!! Great academics. Ahead of public schools in most areas. Teachers care about the children and parents are friendly and positive. I felt my children were safe there. Excellent preparation for High school.

Posted March 12, 2009

so much better than corpus christi! they actually give your child personal attention!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 4%

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:35 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Transportation options
  • Buses for Newington students

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis