Posted May 06, 2015
Despite recent increases in security that are very comforting, I find St. Rose to be extraordinarily welcoming and such a warm loving environment. It is this environment that also fosters exceptional learning experiences. In addition to your typical educational courses, my children get exposure to amazing things they just can't get elsewhere. To name just a couple; learning Mandarin (and Spanish starting in Kindergarten rather than 7th grade), participating in STEM projects in an exceptional science lab (or in an outdoor solar powered classroom, how cool is that?). As much as the education is a draw, so too is the small family feel and the knowledge that my children aren't just learning math, science, music etc, they're also learning kindness, empathy, and growing in their faith.

Posted April 30, 2015
When was the last time you walked into a Catholic school and saw the kids run up to the principal and hug her and talk to her with smiles on their faces? Our youngest are still there and come home every day with enough challenging homework and projects to keep them out of trouble. The workload is challenging at times, but mostly very manageable if the students keep ahead of their projects. We often see the graduating St. Rose students getting academic scholarships to some of the best high schools in the area. We hear from them that their freshman year is a breeze and they feel very well prepared. If you want your kids on a solid Prepatory track in a safe and loving environment then consider this school. Some of the reviews mentioned a lack of communication. I have to laugh at this because I feel over communicated, but it is a very green communication in that everything is electronic. There is a weekly newsletter from the Principal, and one from each of the grade level teachers, quarterly updates from the volunteer parent organization, and the teachers typically respond to emails in the evening and on weekends within hours. I'm receiving excellent communication.

Posted January 11, 2015
St. Rose is amazing!!! My kids enjoy school, excel academically, and have many wonderful friends. This school is a blessing for my family and children!

Posted January 03, 2015
This is a great CATHOLIC school with a great curriculum where the students truly feel part of a family, but this environment isn't for everyone. Every year we see students getting in to the best high schools around, then moving on to top colleges and universities. If that is what you want for your kids, St. Rose is a great place. We've had children in this school for over a decade, the love the school and are excelling compared with their friends in the public school. I have noticed that some uptight parents can't handle this environment. If you feel you need to "Control" the teachers and principal as other reviewers suggested, then pick another school. Is there turn over among the teaching staff - sure. Catholic schools do not pay their teachers a lot, and those who stick around are there because they love teaching in this great environment. Other teachers use this as a great stepping stone to a higher paying public school job. If you want to keep the teachers longer, then you need to pay them more, and then the CATHOLIC school that is affordable becomes a PRIVATE school that many cannot afford. Those who do not get this, probably belong somewhere else.

Posted November 02, 2014
I agree with the last review high teacher turn over Underqualified teachers Unwelcoming environment. Poor curriculum .There is no discipline for children with behavior issues.Donations, donations $$$$. The school is not the same 5 stars used to be. May 20, 2014 * New teachers without experience every year. * If you want your children spending all winter raining days inside classroom St Rose is the right school for you- poor school facility. * On sunny days children are allowed to go out during recess BUT can not step on the grass,they have to play in the parking lot. * My son's teacher is always on cell phone texting. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. * The school has an excellent school curriculum, the problem is the new teachers with no experience. They do not know how to follow the curriculum or teach the children. * Next school year again new changes - new Principal. * Some group of parents has too power over the

Posted September 21, 2014
Lack of communication No parent involvement in child's education High teacher turn over Underqualified teachers Unwelcoming environment unless you are part of certain social circles Poor curriculum No discipline for children with behavior issues

Posted May 20, 2014
* New teachers without experience every year. * If you want your children spending all winter raining days inside classroom St Rose is the right school for you- poor school facility. * On sunny days children are allowed to go out during recess BUT can not step on the grass,they have to play in the parking lot. * My son's teacher is always on cell phone texting. THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. * The school has an excellent school curriculum, the problem is the new teachers with no experience. They do not know how to follow the curriculum or teach the children. * Next school year again new changes - new Principal. * Some group of parents has too power over the school decisions, this is not good.

Posted May 20, 2014
As a parent I feel the quality of academic programs is lacking. The content may be developed, but the inexperienced teaching staff should be replaced with veteran teachers who have experience in methods and strategies to deal with the complex problems that surface throughout the day. Two of my children who were entering 2nd and 3rd grade were looking forward to teachers their brothers and sisters have recently had. There gone too!

Posted May 07, 2014
Our family joined the St. Rose School Community 10 years ago. At first it was because we felt our older son would thrive in a smaller, faith-based environment but we quickly fell in love with all the opportunities available to our children as well as the opportunities for a parent to be involved. I have been involved in my children's education for the past 10 years and I have been given many opportunities to volunteer in their classrooms, on field trips and at our school functions. I have always maintained a healthy level of communication with our teachers as well as the executive staff. The Academics have been strong and challenging for our boys and our freshman is thriving and well prepared for high school. Most importantly is our Faith. The children have daily religion and attend Mass weekly. What they learn at St. Rose reinforces what they learn at home. After spending 10 years watching these students grow, I have observed the following traits in all of them upon graduation from 8th grade: Respectful, Smart, Funny, Playful, Energetic, Eager, Enthusiastic, Sharing, Caring, Appreciative, Maturing, AMAZING!!! We thank God everyday for St. Rose School!

Posted April 30, 2014
We have our two children enrolled, and as parents, are very involved with the community regularly, because we choose to be, and have so many opportunities to do so. My top three reasons for continuing my children's educations here are: COMMUNICATION--the doors are always open. The administration and staff are always willing and able to discuss any concerns. As a parent, it is my responsibility to voice my concerns and opinions, and I have always been able to do that, respectably. ACADEMICS, and my children's individual needs are not ever in question. As my son moves up in grades, the responsibilities and expectations are greater and challenging--and I have no words to express how he's blossomed this year with a teacher who has made him believe in himself and his abilities. The FAITH-based education is more then I thought it would be for my kids, as well as for myself, as a parent. They amaze me with the stories, the choosing of right or wrong because "that's what God would do" attitude, as well as the true understanding of their faith and how to use it daily. Communication. Academics. Faith. It's why we stay.

St. Rose of Lima School
40 Church Hill Road, Newtown, CT  06470
Last modified St. Rose of Lima School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Rose of Lima School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top